Balooboat - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 19:20 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Balooboat

I have been a caravan owner for about 40 years but recently changed to motorhome. It's a Bessacar 442 which we have used and liked but are still not sure we have done the right thing. Not having the car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 19:32

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
It's only 7.3m. long Baloo. Not much longer than a reasonable car.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 19:58

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Welcome to the forum.
There are a few of us who changed from caravan to Motorhome, my late husband and I had caravans for over 30 years and changed to the Autotrail Navajo in 2015. We learnt to live without a car when away from home. There are certain things you can’t do and a few places you can’t go, but you learn to live without them.
Best to ignor things you can’t do and concentrate on the things you can.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 20:01

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Welcome

Sandra
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 20:57

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,197 Times in 1,043 Posts
Personal Aire
Welcome to the forum. I never had a caravan and went straight to a motorhome after using small camper vans since I was a kid. I think it depends what you want to do. If you want to tour Europe for months on end going from country to country then there is no better way than a motorhome. If you want to spend two weeks on a club site each year in the UK then a caravan is probably better.

We carry a scooter on the back of ours on a rack so that makes a big difference but this year especially in the UK parking a motorhome anywhere in the summer holidays is going to be a bit fraught. Get over to Europe when you can, then you will reap the benefits.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2021, 21:15

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Welcome Balloo. Have you thought about getting (electric) bikes?

I can usually get relatively close to where I want to be and usually prefer to walk if, for instance, I'm on the outskirts of a village. But if it's a long walk, or too much on top of a day's wandering around town, then I'd take the bike.

Jean
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2021, 13:14

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by balooboat View Post
I have been a caravan owner for about 40 years but recently changed to motorhome. It's a Bessacar 442 which we have used and liked but are still not sure we have done the right thing. Not having the car.
New Member, welcome over from the 'Dark Side', as we like to joke.

Many members have progressed from being Tuggers. Like barryD I never went through that phase - my progression to MHs was via a boat for 30 years.

You question whether you have done the right thing, which is why I mentioned my boat experience.

I imagine that like most caravan owners you went onto sites most of the time and maybe did not move too often, maybe because of set-up/break-down times - we are usually from handbrake, gas on, fridge changed, chairs out to beer/wine open about 5 mins. Leaving is quicker.

On my boat I never had a 230v circuit so did not need to go into marinas, which left me free to drop anchor in beautiful bays.

I think that a MH gives one similar freedom providing one does not need 230v, or limited amount via an inverter.

Your main question was will you miss the car?

Well as said above there are alternatives, like scooters(if you have the payload) pedal bikes or electric bikes(charging if wildcamping?)

However it depends where you want to tour?

If only UK getting near to town/city centres is difficult in a MH, but maybe public transport is available.

If touring on the Continent, one can use Aires/Stellplatz which are often nearer to villages/towns than campsites.

Other people achieve local transport by using public transport or hiring a car for a couple of days(delivered to where you are). A few days not paying campsite fees can cover car hire.

I think that using some of the suggestions being aired on here you may overcome the loss of the car and that the other advantages of a MH over a caravan will outweigh any disadvantages.

Happy MHoming

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page