batteries and generators - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

5Likes
  • 1 Post By erneboy
  • 1 Post By erneboy
  • 2 Post By Pudsey_Bear
  • 1 Post By Glandwr

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-12-2020, 18:34 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
batteries and generators

Hi we have a Mileo 201 (2019) and want to use it for extended periods of time (weeks) off grid. We would be grateful for any advice regarding the following, as can get no response from Benimar:

Would like to have2 leisure batteries and wonder what people think about lead crystal batteries - whether they would significantly increase capability and if they would be compatible with the vans electrical system.

We would like to have a generator which could be connected directly into the side of the van to top up batteries etc. Would like to know if the van's electrical system will be compatible and what type/size of generator would be required (we do not run a television) to allow us to stay off grid.

Many thanks in advance for any help you could give us.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-12-2020, 19:31

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
All the information you want will be here in the Tech Mech forum.

The questions you ask are not difficult to answer but a lot of explanation is necessary so that you end up understanding. I'd encourage you to browse that forum and then come back and ask any questions you are left with one at a time. There are lots of helpful people here but the things you want to find out about really could fill a book, so answering would be a big job.
Penquin likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-12-2020, 19:37

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Look here: https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/16...generator.html

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/22...tor-solar.html

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/91...lp-please.html

https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/60...y-fitting.html

There's a lot on here. These are a few samples.

You may need to subscribe to use the search facility. The amount of technical information that's archived on here makes the price of a sub very cheap.
Penquin likes this.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

Last edited by erneboy; 22-12-2020 at 19:40.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 22-12-2020, 22:23

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Totally agree with Alan, the cost of membership (£12.50 AFAIK) makes joining a realistic investment.

The backlog of the problems tackled is immense and for a member, is searchable. That material stays available whereas Motorhome Groups on Facebook cannot be searched for specific content, although the instantaneous nature of nominally having 60,000 members on FB would seem excellent. But that is a fallacy and you cannot hi back to a doe ific person for elucidation.

I know nothing about your specific vehicle, but it is easier and quieter to use solar panels than a generator. For a useful generator you probably also need a supply of petrol, small, low powered ones are petrol and I have never come across a diesel. That means carrying potentially, very flammable petrol in a container...... It is possible to convert some petrol generators to run on LPG, but that is not an easy task and foes require technical know-how. Generators are also VERY unpopular on aires etc (actually illegal) as the noise is very intrusive. Solar panels are silent and cheaper to buy/install/operate.

A large battery capacity is highly desirable and not difficult although careful siting and connections are essential, once again, detailed planning and know-how are required.

So, although I can give dome GENERAL advice, much more research and information is required. Do keep us updated with what you decide and carry out.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-12-2020, 17:05 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thanks for the info.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-12-2020, 22:15

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
We have a gas generator , built in

It cost a fortune but we have rarely used it

We bought it to run the aircon off grid

But if it’s too hot we go on electric hookup, we’ve never needed it when off grid, solar panels have sufficed

But maybe if you spend a long time off grid a generator could be the answer

Sandra
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 27-12-2020, 12:26

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
If you are touring, ie running the engine every day or so it is worth looking at battery2battery chargers. I won't go into details but I fitted one 5 years ago and not had the Genny out since. It fools the alternator into charging the leisure batteries fully and not switching to trickle charge once the vehicle battery has been topped up. Brilliant addition to your van.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 27-12-2020, 12:35

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Before buying anything, it would be worth seeing how many watts your max need will be per day, does anything need to use a mains charger or are they 12v.

You may be better off having a 100w solar panel on the roof and a MPPT controller, (fairly easy fit) and a couple of 100+ah batteries, we used to charge up everything, run a TV and PVR on that system, plus lighting and heating of course, few people actually need a charger, and if moving most days not even a solar system, the trick is not to confuse want/need with like.
Penquin and aldra like this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 28-12-2020, 19:35

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
I agree

We went into overkill with our gas generator and as said have rarely needed it

Solar great and we use the inverter particularly when travelling to charge up hoover, I pad , electric bike batteries ect

Even to cook meals on route via a slow cooker

But we often use electric hook up on campsites, travel off season

And wilding is never that wild when the noise of our fairly quiet generator wouldn’t be a problem

It is however a talking point

Sandra
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 28-12-2020, 23:53

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
The last time I used the Genny was maybe 6 years ago, we had stopped in the middle of a french small town for lunch and had a quick kip afterwards. After I woke up our vehicle battery couldn't turn the engine. I'd left the dip headlights on (used to use them as daylight driving lights). Needless to say when we got back they were wired to ignition on only!

An hour on the town square with the stand alone Honda suitcase Genny going was embarrassing to say the least!
aldra likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page