Hello - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 16:14 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive... a Dethleffs Globetrotter xli (I will when I can collect from dealers after lock-down
Hello

Hi, I am Dave, new to this site so please be gentle. Also relatively new to "motor-homing" and awaiting delivery of our first van (Dethleffs Globetrotter) sometime after lock-down is relaxed.

Wife and I are hoping to sell the house and go full time, travelling around this wonderful land of ours and throughout Europe. I hope our journey allows us to meet many of you on our travels.

Take care and see you soon (hopefully)!

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 16:22

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Welcome to the forum Dave, so pleased to see you have introduced yourself with a name and location.

Unfortunately its not the most active time just now, I don´t have to explain why I am sure.

You´ll find us a friendly lot and just like proper friends you will find sometimes we don´t always agree with each other.

Join in with any of the subjects, your comments will always be welcome.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 16:26

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Great Dave, great van as well for full timing. Are you including some alternative transport for local shopping. I always like 12m vans but the shopping can be fun.
Plus after this year you might be limited to the length of stay in Europe but we have yet to see this spelled out.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
The Following User Says Thank You to raynipper For This Useful Post:
DavidHaynes (05-05-2020)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 21:21 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive... a Dethleffs Globetrotter xli (I will when I can collect from dealers after lock-down
Hi Jan & Ray

Thanks so much for responses and welcomes, I am sure I will be back regularly to ask many, may questions.

In answer to the smaller transport, both the good lady and I passed our motorbike theory test two weeks before the lock-down, had our CBT booked for the first week of April, alas it was not to happen. Fingers crossed, before long we will pass the practical and hold A class motorcycle licenses and house a bike in the garage.

Looked at quite a few different scooters and bikes, but weight, length and height are the main concerns. We loved the Kymco Downtown, but it is too long and heavy, so may just go for a Vespa 300cc as it will fit in the van and carry both of us without strain on the engine.

Any and all advice is welcomed and gratefully received, so if you have any ideas, please let me know.

Regards and thanks

Dave
raynipper and JanHank like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to DavidHaynes For This Useful Post:
rws4711 (07-05-2020)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2020, 23:38

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Hi Dave, welcome to this forum. There's loads of information if you browse through the various topics or use the search function - or obviously just ask the question.

Popular topics are payload and tyre pressures but there are many others.

I think your van has a very large available payload but you may want to do your own calculations - particularly if you are carrying a 160kg scooter beyond the rear axles. With twin rear axles I'm sure you'll be fine but if you are full-timing then it's amazing how everything can mount up. We don't full-time but I was amazed at how much we carry and with a similar chassis to you, I had the max weight increased from 5,000kg to 5,2000kg. Paper exercise but I was finding that I was over on the rear axle although the overhang on mine is longer than yours I think. The only real way to know though is to go to a weighbridge.

With tyre pressures, many dealers seem to want to pump them up to the max on the tyre - this is usually way too much and gives an uncomfortable ride. There's a lot of discussion on here but for my van 55psi is right on all six tyres. When it goes in for a service I have to write them a note to tell them not to inflate to 80psi!
raynipper likes this.

Peter
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 12:03 Thread Starter

Hi Peter, thanks for the info, I will be sure to look through posts of interest for tips, tricks and info

We went for the upgraded wight of 5400kg for the reasons you mention, larger payload so that we could take garage payload to around 250k's in the hope this will be sufficient, although time will tell. As you say, first place I shall visit on journey back from the dealers in Essex will be the weighbridge near High Wycombe which is the nearest to my home, just so I know what we have to play with. We have added twin solar, additional leisure battery, gas system etc which will all add to the weight for sure.

Thanks for the tip on tyres - I have a pressure gauge on my birthday list

Regards

Dave
peribro likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 12:08 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Great Dave, great van as well for full timing. Are you including some alternative transport for local shopping. I always like 12m vans but the shopping can be fun.
Plus after this year you might be limited to the length of stay in Europe but we have yet to see this spelled out.

Ray.
Regarding your information regarding length of stay, I forgot to mention that we obtained Irish passports last year (both sets of parents are of Irish descent ) in the hope that this will alleviate the problem (have not had this confirmed, but hoping) so can travel /show UK or Irish passport depending where in the world we are
JanHank likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 12:30

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,066 Times in 925 Posts
Personal Aire
Hi Dave and welcome.

Definitely pursue the scooter option. We wouldnt be without ours. On our last euro trip of four months we clocked up more miles on the bike than the van (just over 4000). As said though, be careful on the payload even on a big tag van like that. Sure it will be fine but as Peter says its amazing how it gets eaten up.

This article and calculator is for fitting a rear rack rather than putting one in the garage but you should be able to adopt it by measuring the distance between the two rear wheels and where the scooter will sit in the garage to do the maths.

https://www.practicalmotorhome.com/a...g-and-payloads

Or maybe if you have enough payload you could actually fit a rack and keep the garage for other stuff, I do know one member on here who did this with an old Hymer tag a few years ago.

All we have is a little Honda Vision 110cc but we are using a rack on a Kontiki and even the vision at just over 100kg puts us close to the limit. im no lightweight either (Mrs D is) but its taken us over some of the big passes in the Pyrenees, Alps etc all be it at a snails pace at times. A 125cc Honda SH or the 300cc version if payload allows would be more than adequate. Step through scooters are great for carrying stuff as well. On the footplate, under seat, pillion (Water carrier) and top box. We tend to do max a hundred miles in a day using the van as a base. The van does all the long distance leg work so your generally just touring around 20 - 40 miles in any direction until you get bored and move on.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)

Last edited by barryd; 06-05-2020 at 12:32.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 13:49

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Is David restricted to just a few posts as he is not a full member?
I thought I had better mention it just in case he is.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-05-2020, 14:40 Thread Starter

Thanks Barry, much appreciated. Did enquire with Dethleffs direct and 2 dealers in the UK regarding pay-load and all of them came back independently with the same number, 250kg.

The scooter comes in at 170kg kerb, + 20kg for garage scooter track and ramp, so hopefully we will be fine. The can does have two smaller compartments between axles that we will try to place the heavier items in.

Definitely need a 250cc / 300cc to get me up those hills and mountains as I am a sizeable chap 6'3 and 16.5 stones, the wife 5'8, but considerably lighter

Will take to weighbridge unladen and then when stocked and filled with items, fuel, water etc. to see how we fair and what we may have to jiggle around

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page