Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Adria twin suspension

8K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  Gretchibald 
#1 ·
Hi,i have a 2019 Adria Twin supreme 600 SPB which has only covered 500 miles and due to squeaking and a very firm ride had a approved workshop have a look at the rear suspension and they found that the suspension was hard on the bump stops,this is with the van completely empty so only the weight of the conversion.I then took the van back to the dealership where the van purchased and they compared it to a brand new unregistered van and guess what that too was on the bump stops so virtually zero rear suspension.
Adria have said all the safety boxes have been ticked so i should get the van looked at and pursue a possible warranty claim but all the suspension components are brand new and in perfect working order,leaving me with the only remedy is to have assisted air suspension fitted a cost of £1500.Is there any members with a similar issue with their 2018/2019 adria twin vans ,i do suggest having a quick look as it looks as if this issue is generic:frown2:

#3 ·
Chassis make would help....also many 'Bump Stops' are supposed to be in contact at all times...they are part of the suspension and not traditional bump stop configuration!

PS. I would guess that your tyres are pumped up to a silly 80PSI!

#4 ·
#5 ·
They are not bump stops. They are ride assisters (or something like that) and the MH is designed to run on them, bearing in mind you’re driving a panel van base unit that is always at maximum loading on the arse end.

I had something similar on my old CIRiviera and negotiated a set of free air suspenders fitted to the rear. The ride quality was transformed as well as looking “correct” at the rear.

I have now fitted them to my Burstner as a matter of course in order to keep a better control of the rear.

#6 · (Edited)
hi, I have a 2015 Twin 640 and my suspension is the same, hard on the bump stops, a friend who also has a 640 has changed the rear springs for 3.85t versions, which has made a lot of difference to his, raising the ride height by three inches, but the ride is quite harsh which is why I've resisted doing the same. I have considered air ride assisters, but I agree the cost is probably not worth it. I'm due for my second MOT next week so I'll speak to the dealer then. Also if you measure the ride height along the lower edge of the sill it should be the same all the way along, mine is whether loaded or not, so I'm assuming from this that all is as it should be?
curlyboy

#8 ·
The main purpose of a bump stop is to serve as some final suspension cushion to keep the metal parts from coming together or from traveling too far, which might in some way damage the suspension or chassis.

They come in various shapes and guises see pic of one type.

Terry

Attachments

Reactions: JanHank
#18 ·
Yes you are correct in saying it can be cheaper but the cheaper system can only be adjusted manually/ physically pumping or a trip to the air point at a garage ,the cost for a Dunlop system would be around £600 or the full system £1500 supplied with a on board compressor and two pressure gauges one for each rear suspension allowing in cab adjustment depending load

#17 ·
Hi,many thanks for your link re MOT issues explaining that they are not bump stops as such but Aeon springs which are hollow albeit a very primitive suspension assist.When i had the conversation with Adria at no time did they say they were Aeon springs and not bump stops and appeared to be more concerned regarding all the safety boxes were ticked and seemed unaware what the suspension components actually did

#22 ·
hi a lot of money has been spent on the van and if you are thinking of keeping it i would go for the air bags kits are available quite cheap on ebay and any competent person should easily install them

i fitted mine and run them at around 30 to 40 psi and the ride is so much better than having the bump stops

regarding tyre pressure i would get the axle weights and adjust the pressures to match the weight but am surprised it needs to be 80 psi on a panel van

barry

#23 ·
The standard trade recommendation is erring towards a blanket 80 PSI in rear tyres.
My last 3500Kg MH ran at 55 PSI rears as recommended by Michelin. My current MH runs at 60 PSI rears as recommended by Continental.
MH specific tyres in both cases and direct email and telephone suggestions based on the plated maximum axle weights....fully loaded real weights were also checked to ensure they were OK.

#24 ·
AirRides are very good indeed and shouldn't be dismissed. I fitted them to my last van and they transformed the ride. I only had to add air to them up every 6 months and simply used the tyre pressure pump that I use for the tyres.

As for tyre pressures it would be very surprising if your's needed to be that high. There are hundreds of posts about it on this forum, the most recent being just a few months ago. You need to find the one with the Tyresafe recommended inflation pressures given. However it's all pointless if you don't know the axle pressures of your van which means a trip to a weighbridge. Depending where you are there may be free ones provided by the Council.

#25 ·
Agree with others re Air Ride Suspension. Had mine fitted by a garage who quoted circa £600 but final bill was £550 , said it was easier than he thought, probably because I told him just to place the top up connectors in the garage which was handy and short to route. I run at 35lbs and only top up twice a year , only takes about a half dozen pumps with an old bicycle stirrup pump , dead easy . Don't see the need for a fancier system . My old van is a heavy beast and so the benefits were seen immediately , not sure if they would be needed on a lighter van though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.