Rear overhang when turning and road position advice - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-2018, 08:10 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Rear overhang when turning and road position advice

Morning all..

I am trying to find a video or piece of advice (preferably for the UK) that can demonstrate rear overhang on a motorhome and the problems/things to be aware of when turning.

I will be getting my new toy shortly (a 7.5m motorhome) but what I don't want to do is drive it off the forecourt, turn left and lose the back end on a gate post.

10 years ago, when I moved house, I hired a "Ford Luton Box Tail Lift" which is 6.5m long and thought nothing of it, driving it around our estate and reversing it etc with ease.

But I am now concerned that the extra metre in length might catch me out.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial and or give me advice on road position etc when turning both left and right out of a T junction .................. I know that I have to pay extreme care in petrol stations

Thanks in advance

K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-2018, 08:15

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiteman123 View Post
Morning all..

I know that I have to pay extreme care in petrol stations

Thanks in advance

K

Especially in France!!! Where's the red face smiley???

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-2018, 08:16

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
hi

dependent on what your wheelbase is but generally 7.5m should not be any problem

mine is 7.3m on a 4.03m chassis and as long as you drive sensibly i cannot see any problems

barry
The Following User Says Thank You to powerplus For This Useful Post:
kiteman123 (20-09-2018)

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-2018, 08:24

This may help.
raynipper and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Loch Sloy
This I'll Defend
The Following User Says Thank You to Drew For This Useful Post:
kiteman123 (20-09-2018)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-2018, 08:50

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
I think your worrying unnecessarily about that one. The only time you need to be a bit careful is if you pull tight up to a wall or fence as in a foot or so away from it. When you move off if you turn away to quickly you could catch the back end. Junctions etc, turning right or left should not be an issue. It might seem like a big old beast at first but its not really. You will soon be throwing it around the Alps like the proverbial white van man.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
kiteman123 (20-09-2018)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-2018, 10:19 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thanks for the re-assurance and thanks for the video clip.

The video really shows tracking off, although my MH would probably fit in his garage

So pulling from a side road onto a normal width "A" road in North wales I should be fine with overhang?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-2018, 10:59

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Yes, you'll be fine. Just take a while to get to used to it. You will very quickly get used to its dimensions. They usually have very good mirrors as well so you can see whats going on down the side if you make a really tight turn.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-2018, 13:24

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
I think your worrying unnecessarily about that one. The only time you need to be a bit careful is if you pull tight up to a wall or fence as in a foot or so away from it. When you move off if you turn away to quickly you could catch the back end. Junctions etc, turning right or left should not be an issue. It might seem like a big old beast at first but its not really. You will soon be throwing it around the Alps like the proverbial white van man.
Seconded. Keep in mind that whatever way you turn your front wheels, your rear-end will move out in the other direction.

I caught my rear-end on railings at the edge of a pavement in France when I was turning into an opening on the other side of the very narrow road.

Jean
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-2018, 15:56

My Motorhome: Roller Team T-590
Personal Aire
I think that the fact that you are aware of the potential problem will save you from embarrassing situations. I parked next to metal railings in the early days and got boxed in by cars behind and in front. While trying to get out of the parking space I paid too much attention to the cars in front and behind and caught the rear of the camper on the railings. Not too much damage but enough to keep me mindful ever since.

Dave
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 20-09-2018, 16:03

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Best advice I got was don't get too close to anything if you're having to turn away from it IE petrol pumps, walls other vehicle when parking, and always reverse park as you never know what idiot will be next to when you return (get a camera fitted) and make full use of your mirrors as you gently pull away from any possible obstacles.
raynipper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page