Motorhome vs Caravan - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 19:12 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Motorhome vs Caravan

Hi all, I've been caravanning for years and thoroughly enjoyed it as well as my wife and kids. However now my teenagers have reached the stage of not wanting to come away we've been considering changing you a motorhome. We like the kontiki 649 and 669, having seen a couple of used ones with low mileage. I'm trying to understand how people manage to park when they have a motorhome or even travel to local seaside towns. For example we are in Devon with the caravan are the moment and travelled down to Brixham with lots of narrow roads, surely you wouldn't take a motorhome there. Any help, guidance or suggestions would be helpful to make our final decision easier and gratefully received.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 19:15
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2012 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Depending on the size/height of the MH you may well be able to park it in towns.

Use Park and Ride schemes.

Have bicycles/electric bikes/scooter.

Use campsites walk-able into town.

Have a 'toad' (a car towed behind you).

Keep away from seaside towns especially in summer as they are rammed and usually not very nice

Welcome btw

Graham

Myself and my wife love to SKI...

...as in, Spending the Kids Inheritance

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 19:50

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
A really good ?

A motorhome offers travel ,Aires , instant travel

It doesnít offer the ability to explore the region

Without a scooter, bikes ect

So itís a trade off

As we get older

We are finding it harder to explore the area

Iím going for an electric trike.

My balance isnít good anymore

The scooter didnít work for us , it shook my arthritic joints up and left me struggling to walk

Iím no longer good walking

But I so want to get out and about

Sandra

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 20:40

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Welcome to the forum. We use a scooter on a rack and wouldnt be without it. Its debatable in the UK which is best but without doubt if your thinking of going to mainland Europe a motorhome is much better for touring than a caravan.
jo662 likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 21:52

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Welcome declemo, a Christian name would be nice to know.
We travelled with car and caravan for years until things like fetching water, hooking up and humping stuff about became a pain in the posterior, if we were younger I think we would still have a car caravan combination, you have easier access to towns, beauty spots in difficult places etc.
However, we are very pleased with our little Navajo, it takes us on day trips as well as longer holidays we no longer need to see man made things, the beauty of the natural world is what we enjoy. Your probably no where near our age so bikes or a scooter will fix any travel problems. Oh incidently, I can't agree with Barry, we travelled thousand of miles through Germany and Austria with our caravan and saw the most fantastic places.
Whatever you choose to do, enjoy it.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 22:08

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Mainland Europe is just full of Motorhome stopovers and wild camping is so much easier Though Jan if your not keen on campsites.

Take France for instance. Thousands of Motorhome only Aires where you just rock up, find a spot and leave when you like. Most are free or cheap as well. If your touring there it's the only way to go. You don't see many French caravans.
jo662 likes this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 22:25

Personal Aire
German is spoken in the two countries I mentioned, I can only remember being on two caravan sites, the rest of the time on farm land, sports fields, in the middle of nowhere, by lakes or rivers. We never had any trouble finding a place and made long lasting friends as well who we still visit to this day. You have to have the nerve to ask, and of course speak the language.
One place we stayed in Mullenbach (not far from the NŁrburgring) was the back garden of a carpenter, the first evening we took the dogs for a walk and came back to two people sitting by the caravan for us with wine and glasses. We have many happy memories.
HurricaneSmith and barryd like this.

I'm Jan
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2018, 23:09

Personal Aire
BTW the people we met thought Hans was an Englishman, he still speaks German with an English accent.

I'm Jan
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 07:26

It is the eternal debate. If parking is your worry then think very carefully about the size of motorhome that you choose. We had a Hymer B544 and always managed to park it in towns and, apart from one mountain village with overhanging balconies, never failed to negotiate narrow roads etc. Depends how confident a driver you are.

If your preference is to set up camp and have days out then stick with the caravan. Motorhomes are brilliant for meandering
JanHank likes this.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-08-2018, 09:00

I much prefer to travel on a different road every time, although this is clearly impossible whilst at home. On holiday, however, it is part of the fun.

When we had a caravan (also tent, trailer tent) we parked on a site for a few days, travelling out into the area and back again. With the MH we go somewhere and, often, keep on going: "a new day, a new place". It becomes a different way of life. If we have to drive into a town for food we usually continue in the same geographical direction looking for our next overnight stop.

YES there are problems with getting into some places and definitely with parking, where we need width, length, height and turning circles which are bigger than those needed by cars, so sometimes we don't succeed BUT we've rarely felt deprived.

Where we benefit is in sitting with a lovely view in the comfort of our armchairs with food, drink and toilet (we're "getting on" a bit) all to hand, whatever the weather. In winter we sit by the sea with the heating switched on. And when we go for day trips with family members they also benefit from our facilities and we have room to move around inside if needed.

We have a discussion every year or so about whether to return to caravaning but so far we have remained with our MH. The day may come when we will want to sit on a field for a while and travel around in a car: it's a perfectly sensible way to spend time relaxing. But the joy of the open road, the ability to stop and rest in comfort and, of course, the freedom to spend the night in a wide variety of spots, especially on the continent, continues to win at the moment.

We don't have any alternative modes of transport whilst away: we tried bikes but my wife wasn't very good, especially with hills and she doesn't fancy an electric bike. We don't have the payload for a motorised vehicle and I can't see any point in towing things. Sites with bus stops within a few hundred metres are useful and can be researched on Google StreetView, which also gives details of times and routes.

Gordon
aldra and JanHank like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page