Using the van - other than for motorhoming - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 22:27 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Autotrail Cheyenne 696G
Personal Aire
Using the van - other than for motorhoming

We have had our motorhome now for nigh on ten years and, in all that time, we have primarily used it for our holidays and short breaks away. However, this past year or so, we have been using it more and more in conjunction with our new venture attending shows up and down the country where we take our r/c model ferry kits. We have found that our Cheyenne, with its large rear garage, has been ideal for this as we can get our whole display stand, display models and a number of boxed kits safely stashed away and still have full use of the van - no staying in dodgy hotels!!!!

Here are a few shots of our latest show we attended near Warwick. We have been developing this kit - our first - for around three years and it has proven quite popular with a younger generation of model boat builders; those who have little affinity to the usual fare of r/c model ships such as WWII warships etc.

And this is a shot of the real ship that the model was based upon:

We are now working on our second offering which is due for release in the Spring - the MV Norland of North Sea Ferries. She used to run out of Hull to Rotterdam and Zeebrugge:

Many more in the pipeline........just have to find the time to design them!!!!
peedee, peedee, erneboy and 13 others like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Carl_n_Flo For This Useful Post:
dghr272 (25-11-2016)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 22:45

My Motorhome: Hymer B598PL
Brilliant, many many hours of work. I bet you get lots of satisfaction from building and exhibiting. Do you work from the original plans ?

I hope when I have more time to use our van to try and visit preserved railways. Also got lots of GWR oo gauge rolling stock and would love to build a layout.

Davy
The Following User Says Thank You to TeamRienza For This Useful Post:
Carl_n_Flo (07-12-2016)
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 22:49

Good heavens ! The model look more real than the real thing. It's incredible and must have taken forever.

I'm in awe ! Thanks for sharing the photos.
aldra and aldra like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grizzly For This Useful Post:
Carl_n_Flo (07-12-2016)

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 22:51

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Personal Aire
Brilliant Carl! Sent you a PM yesterday by the way.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 23:05 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryd View Post
Brilliant Carl! Sent you a PM yesterday by the way.
Ah - Thanks Barry! Hadn't realised a PM had arrived....no notification anywhere.... Will take a look now
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 23:10 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRienza View Post
Brilliant, many many hours of work. I bet you get lots of satisfaction from building and exhibiting. Do you work from the original plans ?

I hope when I have more time to use our van to try and visit preserved railways. Also got lots of GWR oo gauge rolling stock and would love to build a layout.

Davy
Cheers Davy! Yep - one or two hours has gone into this one. When I first started out deigning this model, I was working from known published dimensions (length x breadth x draft) and a whole host of photos. There are no shipyard drawings left of the original ship. Toward the very end of the design phase, I came across the naval architect who looked after the ship when she ran for TEF out of Ramsgate and he had a few detail drawings he let me have. All the rest has been worked up from photos.

Using the van to visit preserved lines would be ideal - most would allow you to overnight in their car park.
TeamRienza (25-11-2016)
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 23:12 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly View Post
Good heavens ! The model look more real than the real thing. It's incredible and must have taken forever.

I'm in awe ! Thanks for sharing the photos.
I have always wanted a model of this particular ship as she was the first ship I ever sailed on to Europe, back in 1972 when I was 9 years old in my parents motorhome. Back then, the ship was in the early Townsend Thoresen colour of pale green. She gives me great pleasure sailing her on our local canal!!
raynipper and raynipper like this.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 25-11-2016, 23:13

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Its mighty impressive stuff. I Think there are a few R/C enthusiasts on here. I always fancied a radio controlled sail boat to be honest but I think you would need two to race them. So are you planning any other models Carl, will they be made to order, available as kits or complete? About time we had something interesting like this on here. Tell us more.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
Carl_n_Flo (07-12-2016)
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 26-11-2016, 00:10 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quite a few more models are planned - the problem being that it takes a good year or so to bring them to fruition. All our models are kits for anyone to build - they are complete except for the motors and radio gear. The hulls are fibre-glass, prepared for us by a chap in Sherbourne, Dorset, and all the superstructure is made up from sheet styrene plastic, with the shapes all pre-cut by us on our laser cutter:

All the fine detail such as handrails, grilles etc. is made up from etched brass sheet that has all the components individually etched out of the sheet brass and all the fittings - winches, bollards, radars, lifeboat davits etc. are all 3D printed plastic parts. I design these on the computer at home and then send the component file to Shapeways in Holland for them to print the part in plastic:

That 'cube' of 3D printed parts measures just 5" x 3" x 2 1/2" and contains over 120 parts - the smallest being just 3mm tall and the thinnest just 0.2mm thick.

The model of the P&O ferry is to a scale of 1:96 and is 1.22m long.

As mentioned earlier, we hope to release a kit of the Norland in the spring and she will be bigger at about 1.55m long - but the same scale.

In the pipeline and being designed at the moment are kits for:

Spirit of Free Enterprise

Pride of Dover

A Swedish passenger ferry that runs from Stockholm out into the Archipelago:

And then a whole host of other classic ferries - Sealink, IOM Steam Packet and Calmac for example.

This is what goes into the box for the modeller to build:

Some have asked if we had thought about producing models of other ships such as tugs, fishing vessels or warships, but there are plenty of other manufacturers doing these - but, other than us, no-one produces kits of passenger ships and especially ferries!! So this is what we are concentrating on. It is a subject I know a fair bit about and I feel I can do it justice. Plus, we are having an absolute ball with it!!! Just a shame I cant turn it into a full-time job at the moment, although Flo has now quit her main job to look after the administration of the company.

Something different eh?
barryd (26-11-2016)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 26-11-2016, 00:37

Personal Aire
It never ceases to amaze what some people can do. I was about to say are you going to do other stuff. I would like a Bismarck with fully working guns. (by Christmas) . Could you not take on commissions Carl as well as stick to the passenger ships? I bet some would pay top dollar to have a unique ship made for them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page