Shipping Motorhome to the USA - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 14:46 Thread Starter

Shipping Motorhome to the USA

We are still trying to sort out where we are going on our 6 month trip and it has been brought to my attention that it may be a good idea to ship our motorhome to the USA for our trip due to the rising fuel prices in the USA (our van in a 2.5ltr compared with some of the gas guzzerlers over there).

Has anyone shipped their motorhome over for a trip? Any info would be great, websites etc.

Thanks
Victoria
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 15:02

Re: Shipping Motorhome to the USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by viks
...ship our motorhome to the USA for our trip due to the rising fuel prices in the USA
You'd have to buy an awful lot of fuel to save any money on the £000s it will cost you to ship there & back. Fuel prices in the US are on the up, but still miles less than European prices. I'd say it's absolutely not worth considering.

Dougie.
raynipper likes this.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 16:03

I would check the cost of a 6 month USA hire and flights against the cost of shipping!!

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 16:05

Personal Aire
And if you are not convinced so far, note Fiat has no presence in the US of A ......

Who suggested you consider this option?

Dave
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 17:32 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies,
we originally were going to sell our van, buy one over there, then sell it but on one of the USA forums they suggested we bring our van over.

Taking into account of the diesel savings of around £800 to £1000 on a 6 month trip and the fact that we will loose around £2000 to £3000 when we resell the rv in the US (Going to spend roughly £10,000 on an RV in the US). We thought it was worth looking into.

Dad (lives in Texas) suggested we get a box of spares together ie alternator, etc to cover the parts angle due to the van being a Fiat. We can order parts but would have to wait on them coming over from Europe.

Still looking into it so your thought and ideas are very welcome!
Victoria
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 18:31

Send a message via MSN to navman
Quote:
Originally Posted by aultymer
I would check the cost of a 6 month USA hire and flights against the cost of shipping!!
It may not be that bad. Seem to recall someone in MMM saying it was about £1400 out and £1200 back...not that long ago too.... I will see if I can dig out the article as it is something I will consider in the future....

Also have a look here may be a bit dated now ( not sure) but good info.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 19:40

Shipping Motorhome to the USA

Hi Victoria

While we were touring Canada we met many Germans with their motorhomes who worked their ticket on cargo ships. One chap paid a few euro to the crane driver to load his van in Hamburg a large Hymer. He and his wife then worked the galley for the crew on the trip, didn't even have to pay for their grub. I seem to remember him saying it took about 2 weeks.
It may be worth examining this option.

Good luck in the venture
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 21:57

Personal Aire
Pity it's not 12 months - you can buy an RV in the States, ship it back to the UK VAT and import duty free, and sell at a wacking profit to offset paying for a memorable trip.

Dave
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 22:57 Thread Starter

Thanks for the info Dave

What do you mean when you say a wacking profit? We could use it for 6 months leave it with my Dad, then get him to ship it from Houston in 6 months time. Now you have got my mind working!

Do you think it has to be a new RV, I have seen some really good deals on Ebay but not sure regarding quality of build etc. This RV would be perfect for us, since we have 3 kids under 7 but we were a bit scared putting £40,000 into a RV on the other side of the Atlantic, then not being able to sell it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...ksid=p3907.m29

Would your theory work with an older van or just a newer one?

We do have the cash to do it, just not sure if we have got the nerve!

Thanks again, away to investigate!

Victoria
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 09-01-2008, 23:04

US-A

Seems a crazy Idea to me. IF I give you my :bank a/c no: you can throw your money into it. have you checked to see if you can get a visa? you can do the US of A cheaply by using low price hotels.motels ,BB's. ect ,buy a cheap compact car if you want to save on fuel. 6 months won't get you far.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page