240v French MH plugged into 110v USA? - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 29-10-2013, 11:54

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
We always used these people..............................

http://www.walleniuslines.com/

A reasonable sized 240 to 110 volt transformer will always work in reverse powering your Euro van in the states.
But do not use the yellow power tool transformers. They are only designed for short use.

I have several from 1kw to 5.5kw.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 29-10-2013, 12:01

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper
A reasonable sized 240 to 110 volt transformer will always work in reverse powering your Euro van in the states.
But do not use the yellow power tool transformers. They are only designed for short use.

I have several from 1kw to 5.5kw.

Ray.
The ratings for 60Hz operation are higher than for 50Hz as trannies are more efficient at the higher frequency.

Motorhome use would be classed as intermittent, unless you had a sodding great appliance on all day!

We spoke to WW re shipping our Discovery and trailer over to the USA, but they got cold feet after we told them about the engine in the back

Peter
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 29-10-2013, 12:08

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Motorhome use would be classed as intermittent, unless you had a sodding great appliance on all day! Laughing >>>>

I guess so Peter but having witnessed at least two yellow power tool transformers melt while powering RVs, they are to be avoided personally.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 29-10-2013, 12:45

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
I don't disagree, Ramon, but there are big trannies that are rated at 7-10kVA which would eat the job, too many people try and use a little 1.5kVA one and then wonder why it is all melted.

The actual transformer is usually a toroidal type, and the whole thing is potted to give the electrical safety required.

Peter
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 29-10-2013, 17:19

My Motorhome: Rapido 7066DF
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewball1000
How would the Truma heating cope assuming you put it on LPG only but used the fan to blow it?
It would cope fine Andrew, the Truma fan works from the 12v system, not mains. How else could you use the heating on gas when off hook-up? The only part of the heating that runs from the mains supply will be the electric heating elements (if fitted).

Help someone out when they're in trouble and they'll remember you when they're in trouble again.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 29-10-2013, 17:35 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspode
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewball1000
How would the Truma heating cope assuming you put it on LPG only but used the fan to blow it?
It would cope fine Andrew, the Truma fan works from the 12v system, not mains. How else could you use the heating on gas when off hook-up? The only part of the heating that runs from the mains supply will be the electric heating elements (if fitted).
Thanks Gaspode. Then in my case it sounds feesable. I would run the Truma and fridge on propane. If the charger doesn't like 110 it won't matter as the batteries charge off solar and while moving. Things like kindle and smart phone will work on 110. If one wanted to use heavier equipment like toaster or hair I have the inverter or one could T off the mains lead and purchase local ones.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page