Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   US and Canada (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/208-us-canada/)
-   -   Washington to DC- observations. (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/208-us-canada/114690-washington-dc-observations.html)

andrewball1000 26-09-2013 08:49

Washington to DC- observations.

This is is not a blog but may be a useful place to note points and differences to UK Motorhomes and travel.

I collected the 20ft Cruise America MH from Everett north of Seattle and have been driving east since through the mountains. I have also had three weeks previous in a hire car in Washington state, British Columbia and Alberta.

Point 1 - pickups with demountable Campers or 5th Wheel "seen on the road" out number Motorhomes 80-20. This is very different to what I have seen in previous visits many years ago. The ratio may be dilfferent to those parked up.

Point 2 - my MH is an automatic petrol and I am struggling to get 11.4 us 13.7 mpg UK out of it being very gentle on the pedal. It has done over 100k miles. Please can I have a Renault diesel stick shift with ) gears :-)

Point 3 - the steering play needs all my concentration to keep it in a straight line on rough roads or in a cross wind.

Point 4 - despite having good propane tank, the Furnace heating (good description) relies on a 12v driven Bessemar Coverter fan that will flatten the battery in one hour!! I will never complain about Truma heating again.

Pudsey_Bear 26-09-2013 09:07

Re: Washington to DC- observations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andrewball1000
This is is not a blog but may be a useful place to note points and differences to UK Motorhomes and travel.

I collected the 20ft Cruise America MH from Everett north of Seattle and have been driving east since through the mountains. I have also had three weeks previous in a hire car in Washington state, British Columbia and Alberta.

Point 1 - pickups with demountable Campers or 5th Wheel "seen on the road" out number Motorhomes 80-20. This is very different to what I have seen in previous visits many years ago. The ratio may be dilfferent to those parked up.

Point 2 - my MH is an automatic petrol and I am struggling to get 11.4 us 13.7 mpg UK out of it being very gentle on the pedal. It has done over 100k miles. Please can I have a Renault diesel stick shift with ) gears :-)

Point 3 - the steering play needs all my concentration to keep it in a straight line on rough roads or in a cross wind.

Point 4 - despite having good propane tank, the Furnace heating (good description) relies on a 12v driven Bessemar Coverter fan that will flatten the battery in one hour!! I will never complain about Truma heating again.

If you're looking for sympathy, you'll get none from me, you're in Americy, stop whinging and enjoy one of the best places to visit in the world, apart form the yanks of course, ;) ;)

listerdiesel 26-09-2013 09:22

Demountables come out on weekends, long-distance travellers use 'proper' RV's.

Petrol is how much.... $2.40 a US gallon in March of this year in CA.

Steering on cars and vehicles we have driven are usually fair to middling, but with cheap petrol even the biggest pickups tend to be petrol, although diesel is making a solid impact these days.

Peter

747 26-09-2013 09:41

The American vehicles I had in the Middle East had unimpressive steering (although I am going back a good few years). I blamed the power steering unit, which was not very sophisticated but the main culprit seemed to be the tyres. Even on pickups, they used a truck type tyre. I know that Americans often have more than one set of tyres (at least the ones I worked with did). Check your tyre pressures, if it is a hire vehicle they may be incorrect.

erneboy 26-09-2013 09:42

Almost certainly a steering box in an RV, as opposed to rack and pinion. You do get used to it in time, Alan.

cabby 26-09-2013 10:57

Your comments about steering makes me think about the old films when the star is driving, always saw them moving the steering wheel left and right all the time, thought it was just for effect rather than by need to.

cabby

raynipper 26-09-2013 11:35

Re: Washington to DC- observations.

Quote:

Hi Andrew.
The cheap and bottom end 'C' class RVs bought by the thousands by rental companies are just that and can't be compared to regular motorhomes.
Most 'C' class vans are grossly over bodied and do wallow about. As to mpg again it's a different driving experience to our diesels. Long trips on cruise control might get you a couple more mpg but 5 and 6 litre petrol coupled with grossly inefficient auto boxes designed for cars are never going to be economical.

Surprisingly the larger 14 ton 8.9 litre rear diesel pushers can get 9 or 10 US mpg. But they are totally different animals.

As to heating most venture to the sun-belt states and heat is rarely a problem. But with fuel prices being relatively low, Americans just plug in and turn up the furnace or two. 15 years ago you hardly ever found an American RV with double glazing.

Just stump up and enjoy your cheap RV.

Ray.

andrewball1000 26-09-2013 17:05

Thanks for your comments. Spot with the reasons for the differences. The steering play reminds me of my first car, 1935 Riley, with loose king pins. I was so used to the slack that when I got a mg midget with rack and pinion, I hit the kerb a few times before I got used to it! This truck is the same. Ok on main roads but hairy when big logging rigs are hurtling towards you on the back mountain roads of the North West. Beautiful scenery and I am loving it.

These are observations, not a whinge. :-). Here are some more

- I love the simpler traffic laws such as "right turn on red" and also taking turns at "4 way stop" junctions. Also that a slow vehicle with a queue of five must pull over. Now how would that work on the M25!

Pudsey_Bear 26-09-2013 19:13

Quote:

These are observations, not a whinge. :-). Here are some more

Twas only joshing ;) ;) with a teeny bit of envy.

Stanner 26-09-2013 19:17

Quote:

Also that a slow vehicle with a queue of five must pull over. Now how would that work on the M25!

Who cares - introduce it from Monday!