Washington to DC- observations. - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 26-09-2013, 19:22

My Motorhome: Autotrail Dakota
Good to hear your trip is going well, Andrew - Hope you're not using EHU

Jed

Adapt to change quickly. The quicker you let go of old cheese, the sooner you can enjoy NEW CHEESE.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 26-09-2013, 19:49 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi

Jed
No not once yet. Just on battery. There full hook ups are sh h a palaver. Elec, water and sewer. Can't be bothered. Just driving now. Might put route up later just to increase the envy .
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 26-09-2013, 20:30

My Motorhome: Carthago e-line QB
I agree turn right on a red makes sense if they did that here,well turning left it would save a lot of wasted time, have you been shopping in camping world yet

Paul

www.motorhomelocks.co.uk the Home of motorhome security

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 26-09-2013, 21:19

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewball1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi

Jed
No not once yet. Just on battery. There full hook ups are sh h a palaver. Elec, water and sewer. Can't be bothered. Just driving now. Might put route up later just to increase the envy .
If your not bothered about full hook ups Andrew, use state parks or forestry commission parks. Cheap and simple.

I bought a book on free campsites in the states.
Don Wrights Guide to FREE Campgrounds.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 27-09-2013, 04:55 Thread Starter

Having had the first three nights without Hook up, I now find myself at a site where I had to pay for it anyway, so I used it as a learning experience for the differences. Interesting.

EHU - unplug the shore line from the onboard genny, plug in to the post. No probs

Water - different to UK. Connect line directly to mains pressure and to the mains inlet on the MH. This bypasses the tank and water pump and you have mains water when you need it. The fresh water tank has a separate filler to fill up.

Blackwater - ugh. Very different. Instead of a cassette you have a long length of 4" ribbed pipe. (Imagine the nooks and crannies in that). This is connected directly and permanly to the sewer drain. Problem is getting a continuous fall as any slump will hold water. I see many Heath Robinson methods to support this hose to achieve this.

I am sure that this connection is benificial if you are on a long stay, but for an overnight stop its much easier to use a cassette. Also less cost for the campsite.

More later. The fan on the warm air heating has packed up so its extra layers tonight despite being on EHU
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 27-09-2013, 05:10 Thread Starter

Tip for those hiring.

Cruise America charge $50 for a bedding, pillow. towels etc per person which I was happy to do for one person. Their Inventory Kit with ovenware and six of everything else was $100 an not worth it to me as it had far more than I need of things I didn't and missing many that I did. My first stop was Walmart which I hit with two trolleys and a check list.

They also charge for generator hours used and heavily for returning without dumping tanks of if LPG is not full. You can prepurchase this facility on hire. A bit like RyanAir they are trying every way to get thief buck.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 27-09-2013, 05:40 Thread Starter

Maps and Route. Although not a blog I thought the route might be of interest to anyone considering the same venture

Maps - previously I have used Rand McNally and have bought along my old 2000 one! However I have a US friend who is a member of the Triple A, our AA. They provide free maps to all their members so she went and got me a whole pile of these for all the states I may visit. They are a larger scale than RM and have two states per sheet, one each side. Very easy to fold and use. Like RM they also have the scenic routes indicated with dotted lines and this is my main means of route planning. I am using the Maps with me app (see separate thread) to see where I am on the route as this does not need a phone signal which I rarely have had enroute

I toured round Washington State for a week by car with my friend. Mt Rainier and Yakima area. I also had two weeks in BC and Alberta.

The route this trip however:-
Mon. - get to Everett to collect MH after 2pm. Stock up and crash out in rest area on 5
Tue - WA. 530 n to 20 then east through North Cascades Nat park. Over Washington pass ,stunning, to Okanogan
Wed - continue 20 east to Newport on Idaho border
Thur - today. ID2 up river Pend and 200 round the lake and SE down Momtana to Plains. Then MT 28 to Flathead lake and 93 north to Kalispell.

The 89 Route to the Sun through Glacier Nat Park is closed at the summit but I am hoping tomorrow to be able to drive in 20 odd miles to Big Bend. The Internet sayes I can. We will see.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 27-09-2013, 05:50 Thread Starter

Campsites

I did a lot of research on apps before I left and downloaded a number. The one I am using is Allstays Camp and RV. It is excellent as it shows all sites etc on a map. You need to be connected so I can look up some possibles of where I might be or else switch it on when nearing a stop. If I don't have a signal in the mountains I am probably in a national forest and campsites are well signposted anyway.
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 27-09-2013, 06:13 Thread Starter

Communications

I am with Vodafone and their offer is £5/day for 25mbs. Calls are also expensive to send and receive. Last night the campsite office had a note on the door to call if not attended, not welcome if you are on roaming.

I did everything I could to avoid changing the sim in my iPhone but although there are many providers, AT&T have the best coverage in remote areas. Unfortunately they don't have a PAYG sim for my Huawaie mifi or hotspot as they call it here. I therefore did get their sim for the my mobile.

Go Mobile
Unlimited talk & text & 2gb data. $60 / mth
I also added $5 forb250 mins international to landlines
It's $10 to add more data when you run out

I got this direct from AT&T in Seattle although Radio Shack has them but were out of stock.

I have been very pleased with coverage and get 4g most of the time.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 27-09-2013, 08:29

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I notice you've dropped into the American habit of quoting compass directions in with your travels, odd that it's not used so much elsewhere.

You do seem to be getting about a bit, Are you picture taker, 3 per post, it would be nice to see the unseen sights.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page