Best route home from Greece? - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 27-10-2010, 15:56 Thread Starter

Best route home from Greece?

Hi

We're about to start the long journey home and wondered if anyone could offer us any tips.

We'll be heading from Sofiya in Bulgaia to Budapest in Hungary. This is the part of the trip that most worries me as I've heard the roads arent very good and can be quite slow.

I'd love to hear from anyone who can advise us on the best/quickest route to take between the two, and where we might camp along the way?

Many thanks

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 27-10-2010, 17:24

I came up somewhere similar in early May. Was not in a hurry though so not taking the straightest route and the bigest roads.

Bulgarian roads are the worst in Europe. Some serious potholes in places I saw some a foot deep!!!! you need to keep your wits about you. You can be rolling along nicely then come to a realy bad bit and have to slow right up. The Bulkgarian drivers are very cautious with there nice modern cars as well so I did find myself getting frustrated at quite how slow they went on occasions.

Romania the roads are less hotholed but are far from smooth lots of undulation on the surface. Hungary the roads are good probobly better than back at home.

The Danube is the most expensive bit of water in the world. I got charged the minibus rate and had to pay 50 euros. I had enough Bulgarian Lev for the car rate but could not convinse them that that was the right rate. This left me all out of Euros and then the Romanians wanted road tax for which I got them to except payment in Bulgarian Lev. (about 10 euros worth) There was then another charge of about 10 euros which I am not sure what it was for. I eventualy settled this for £10. To top all this the customes guy angled for a bribe but as I was skint they did not get very far... and did not realy persist or cause any hastle like turning the van inside out so I guess they just try it on when they think they can.

Ifor
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 31-10-2010, 15:44 Thread Starter

Thanks Ifor

Does anyone else have any advice on this?

Many thanks

Alex

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page