Ideas needed for fitting front curtain - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

2Likes
  • 2 Post By jiwawa

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 17-08-2019, 22:27 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Ideas needed for fitting front curtain

I have bought some awning rail to put across the front window of my van so I can hang a thermal curtain - the pleated screens don't really keep out the heat.

I'd originally intended putting it between the pleated screens and the downward-jutting board that I've highlighted in pink in the photo. However, the board is about 4.5cm deep and the space is very narrow and I'm now thinking there won't be enough room to fiddle with getting the curtain into the rail. I think it might be hard enough if it was on the hab side of the marked board. Note, the silver curtain rail is, of course, horizontal so you can see that the board juts forward making access behind even more awkward.

Are there any better ideas out there?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190817_221542_1566077159066.jpg (1.03 MB, 89 views)

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 17-08-2019, 22:55

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Jean, have you thought about an external silver screen?

Peter
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 18-08-2019, 11:42 Thread Starter

Yes, I have used one very, very occasionally in the past but because of my style of MHing (on aires or wilding, and solo, I prefer to be able to take off at a moment's notice without getting out of the van.

I've never had to, but I prefer to keep the option.
raynipper and dghr272 like this.

Jean

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 21-08-2019, 22:45 Thread Starter

OK, given that I'm stuck with my own idea....

I'm assuming the easiest way is to feed the curtain into the awning rail at the centre of the rail, fanning out to the sides.

How do I open the rail to allow for entry into the channel; what do I use to part the edges and how much of an opening should I make?

Im hoping a little hacksaw will do for cutting the rail. What would I use for smoothing the sharp corners?

Jean
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-08-2019, 00:28

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Why not use an internal silver screen then?

https://www.johnscross.co.uk/motorho...l-screens.html

Peter
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-08-2019, 08:00

My Motorhome: Arapaho
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
OK, given that I'm stuck with my own idea....

I'm assuming the easiest way is to feed the curtain into the awning rail at the centre of the rail, fanning out to the sides.

How do I open the rail to allow for entry into the channel; what do I use to part the edges and how much of an opening should I make?

Im hoping a little hacksaw will do for cutting the rail. What would I use for smoothing the sharp corners?
Not sure about the urgency of this and hard to visualise the whole problem, but I’d happily have a look at it when I’m home in October.

In the interim, as to making an entry point in an awning rail, a little heat from a blowtorch and a pair of pliers could work to flare it open enough and leave no sharp edges, or grind open an entry point, a file or a Dremel type tool with the fine grinding attachment would work or just a fine file.

Terry

I'm a Euro Unionist, Testiculi ad Brexitam

Brexit: the incapable in pursuit of the unobtainable to satisfy the delusional. (Edwin Hayward)

In the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 22-08-2019, 12:58 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
Why not use an internal silver screen then?

https://www.johnscross.co.uk/motorho...l-screens.html
I find the internal thermal screens for window glass quite awkward to work with but was interested in the floor-length screens in your link (tho not in the price!) But it reminded me that I had previously bought heavy grade velcro so maybe I should just go with that, now that I've decided to use the rear-facing surface of the board.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghr272 View Post
Not sure about the urgency of this and hard to visualise the whole problem, but I’d happily have a look at it when I’m home in October.

In the interim, as to making an entry point in an awning rail, a little heat from a blowtorch and a pair of pliers could work to flare it open enough and leave no sharp edges, or grind open an entry point, a file or a Dremel type tool with the fine grinding attachment would work or just a fine file.

Terry
Had a laugh at the blowtorch Terry - definitely beyond my paygrade!!

That's very kind of you - unfortunately we're going to be swapping places as I'm on my way to Spain mid-Sep.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page