Using old carpets as templates for new ones - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-09-2015, 10:53 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Knaus Sun Ti 600LF 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplus View Post
...you sound as if you are local to me

barry
Maidenhead Barry.

These are the people I used for the whipping. http://www.hcscarpetcare.co.uk/contact.html

I also found an upholsterers in Wargrave that repaired some of my cushions for me. They are on a Farm too. Did a very good job. http://wargrave.cylex-uk.co.uk/compa...-13743498.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-09-2015, 20:44

Wow, Andrew!

The carpets in my 650MF look soooo similar to your 'before' shots. This has got me thinking that I really ought to do something similar.

Were the whipping people able to do the edges of the holes round the air vents / table leg, etc - the lack of whipping round those on the current carpets really lets the show down.

Re the cushions: Were they able to repair the backs where the velcro just rips the thin nylon covering to shreds?

Morph

There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 18-09-2015, 00:52 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphology View Post
Were the whipping people able to do the edges of the holes round the air vents / table leg, etc - the lack of whipping round those on the current carpets really lets the show down.

Re the cushions: Were they able to repair the backs where the velcro just rips the thin nylon covering to shreds?

Morph
Yes they did manage to do the all the whipping, including the air vents which were the most difficult. They also never lined up before. I am surprised that your current ones are not whipped, as mine were.

Combining the three pieces together has reduced the edges needing whipping and also transformed the feel of the van to a Home, especially in the cab area where I have increased the carpet coverage considerably.

You guessed right about the velcro damage to the cushion backs. I had new stronger patches put over the damaged areas. The velcro doesnt grip to these and doesnt need to as the cushions are a tight fit anyway.

The main job I needed them to do was to repair the underside of one of the bed cushions as this had split. I did get the cover off without damaging the zip, which is difficult as it is at the end, rather than down the length. They were surprised that I had managed it, so I paid them extra to refit the repaired one.

If you do consider doing yours, then have a look at this carpet. I dont know the colour scheme of your upholstery but this one is lighter than my old carpet but the supplementary colours match perfectly with those in the upright cushions. It has lightened the interior. The carpet has a definite longitudinal stripe and I wasnt sure which way it would come so I went for a 3m x 3m which gave me the option of which way to use it. I have attached some drawings I did at the outset which may be useful to you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf carpet 1.PDF (235.5 KB, 19 views)
File Type: pdf carpet width options.PDF (73.4 KB, 12 views)
Morphology and Morphology like this.

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 18-09-2015, 11:54

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewball1000 View Post
Yes they did manage to do the all the whipping, including the air vents which were the most difficult. They also never lined up before. I am surprised that your current ones are not whipped, as mine were.

Combining the three pieces together has reduced the edges needing whipping and also transformed the feel of the van to a Home, especially in the cab area where I have increased the carpet coverage considerably.

You guessed right about the velcro damage to the cushion backs. I had new stronger patches put over the damaged areas. The velcro doesnt grip to these and doesnt need to as the cushions are a tight fit anyway.

The main job I needed them to do was to repair the underside of one of the bed cushions as this had split. I did get the cover off without damaging the zip, which is difficult as it is at the end, rather than down the length. They were surprised that I had managed it, so I paid them extra to refit the repaired one.

If you do consider doing yours, then have a look at this carpet. I dont know the colour scheme of your upholstery but this one is lighter than my old carpet but the supplementary colours match perfectly with those in the upright cushions. It has lightened the interior. The carpet has a definite longitudinal stripe and I wasnt sure which way it would come so I went for a 3m x 3m which gave me the option of which way to use it. I have attached some drawings I did at the outset which may be useful to you.

Nice drawings Andy, which package did you use?
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 18-09-2015, 13:56 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz View Post
Nice drawings Andy, which package did you use?
Thanks. Turbocad 2d. I have had it for some time now and I expect there are better ones about. I know how this one works so have stuck with it. The are some good 3d ones too but I find them more complicated to use.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 18-09-2015, 14:23

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Quote:
Thanks. Turbocad 2d. I have had it for some time now and I expect there are better ones about. I know how this one works so have stuck with it. The are some good 3d ones too but I find them more complicated to use.

Cheers, I was hoping it was new and numty usable one, I can't get my head around CAD despite trying several times, so end up using standard drawing apps.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 19-09-2015, 00:39

Quote:

My existing holes for air vents / table leg aren't whipped, so they probably looked a bit tatty from day one.

I recently replaced the two-piece mattress on the French bed with a single custom made Duvalite mattress. Not cheap (£500) but I have been very pleased with it. Being a single-piece mattress makes it a bit more difficult to lift up to access the under-bed storage area, but it also prevents the half nearest the centre of the van moving during the night, which was a right pain.

There are only 10 different types of people: Those who understand Binary, and those who don't.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 19-09-2015, 00:51 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphology View Post
I recently replaced the two-piece mattress on the French bed with a single custom made Duvalite mattress. Not cheap (£500) but I have been very pleased with it. Being a single-piece mattress makes it a bit more difficult to lift up to access the under-bed storage area,
Ah. I put a 2" memory foam over the top of the two pieces instead
Morphology and Morphology like this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 19-09-2015, 10:35

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
Does that make the 2 pieces remember to stay together?

I'm daft and proud of it.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 19-09-2015, 11:29

My Motorhome: Chausson Welcome 85 2007
Personal Aire
FWIW
Fiat main dealer accessory departments do a good quality tailored cab carpet. It's black with a waterproof backing and very hard wearing and a y embroidered Ducato on it. Has two fixing studs (easy fit) to keep it in place. Mine cost about £40 8 years ago and still going strong after some serious abuse.

I'm not signing anything.

The two impulses in travel are to get away from home, and the other is to pursue something - a landscape, people, an exotic place. Certainly finding a place that you like or discovering something unusual is a very sustaining thing in travel.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page