Originally Posted by aldra
Steve, enough to start with

Go for it and have fun

If you can eat, sleep and *******

every thing else is a bones

Aldra

Yes, just go!

I am sooooo envious.

You are unlikely to be far from being able to get by anywhere in Europe. Have loads of fun and keep us posted
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 22-01-2012, 21:27

It could be said for you just to pack what you think you need (maybe after a try out camp as suggested) together with the mandatory bits needed by the countries you intend to visit and just set off.

Anything you find you can't do without after a few days you buy locally, most things won't be much (if any) dearer there than here.

Just make sure you have all the legally required stuff.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-01-2012, 12:13

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
Ready gto go - what to take?

:BIG:

Congrats and many happy years on the road! It's a great feeling
setting set up and I loved every minute of it myself. What wouldn't I leave home without?

1. ACSI book/card - for sites E12/14/16 a night out of season and stacks of useful info such as availability of WiFi and nearby public transport
2. International Camping Carnet (hate letting anyone retain my passport)
3. List of phone nos, email addresses, policy and bank account numbers separate from the device (laptop/mobile) on which they are stored in case of crash/loss/theft.
4. Original vehicle log book is necessary in Europe, don't forget other relevant docs - EHIC card, vehicle insurance, driver's licence.
5. Comprehensive travel insurance. Having been buying it for decades. Thank goodness! This year I used it for the first time. More than got all the years of premiums back!
6. Electrical adaptors - very useful. Polarity tester and polarity adaptor for standard hook-up. Hook-up to various types of plugs. Not all sites in Europe have that special round jobby connection, wimbc! (whatever it may be called).
7. Bucket... multifunctional!

OMG the van's already overweight and you're broke. Buy the rest as you go!

Bon voyage!

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-01-2012, 15:45

Everyone of us have different visions on what you need, and believe it or not, the essential requirements for the female gender is different than that for the male. Just go and enjoy, and as said previously, as and when you find you really need it, just buy it.

Good luck and most of all enjoy.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-02-2012, 11:35

Hi.. I did my first trip in March, last year, through France and down to southern Spain and the most valuable item as a solo traveller was my Satnav, not because I can't read maps and road signs but because the guidance, especially the lane guidance, frees you to concentrate on driving on strange roads. It has live data which was great for finding supermarkets, both in the van and on my bike ( got some strange looks as I cycled passed people with a voice coming from my pocket), and, loaded with campsite POIs, reduced potential stress levels hugely.

I had a great time and wish you the same.
John
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-02-2012, 22:49

wine glasses?

Sue

Sue
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 15-02-2012, 23:15

everything u have at home £ shops very good. checklist for going out .you are very brave .whatever u r short of you will be able to get as and when. good luck and have a briliant time.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 16-02-2012, 08:19

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
I agree with all said so far.

Just a few of other bits to suggest, which are not too expensive but I think essential for certain circumstances.

1 Short length of water hose (2m.) plus tap fitting, to avoid unreeling full hose at site taps.

2 20lt water canister for carrying water if not able to reach a tap, plus funnel. If you can carry the weight, keep it full as a reserve.

3 Cigarette lighter mobile phone charger for when not on EHU.

4.Your Hymer may have a different 12v socket (Din?)in habitation area so you will need an adapter.

5 If you want to use a laptop on 12v you will need an adapter to convert 12v to your laptop voltage - Maplins do one that can be set for most computer/electronic appliance voltages.

6 Instead of expensive toilet fluid many of us find that Bio washing liquid is just as good - a box of sachets saves weight and space.

Not essential but think about whether you need a small inverter for any reason.

I might think of more later.

Geoff
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 21-02-2012, 11:29

Steve - Sounds great! Just a couple of years younger than you but I'm planning to do the same! How are your plans going?
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 20-05-2013, 21:11

basics are food, drink, sleep, personal hygiene, clothing and whatever you use to while away the time (literature, music etc.).
The rest is personal. I am not a seasoned motor-homer but have traveled alot and found this to be self evident

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page