Solo Touring - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

61Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 13-12-2016, 12:13 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Solo Touring

As I mentioned earlier, I was thinking of hanging up the keys to the motorhome and selling, as we are now unable to use it together. I did wonder if I would cope on my own and would appreciate comments from those that do.Am no longer that active for walks over a half mile, booze has no longer been consumed now for 17 years, gave away a single malt to a friend or a present, well it had sat in a cupboard that long.Would I be better off using hotels again.Should I consider a grand tour.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 13-12-2016, 13:25

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
As I mentioned earlier, I was thinking of hanging up the keys to the motorhome and selling, as we are now unable to use it together. I did wonder if I would cope on my own and would appreciate comments from those that do.Am no longer that active for walks over a half mile, booze has no longer been consumed now for 17 years, gave away a single malt to a friend or a present, well it had sat in a cupboard that long.Would I be better off using hotels again.Should I consider a grand tour.

cabby
Phil

I obviously cannot comment on the personal realations side of the decision.

I did tour all over England on my own for the first 2-3 years of having the MH, but had been on my own in the house anyway.

I wildcamped and only really met people in cafes or pubs, apart from my friends around the country who I used to drop in on - one aspect of visiting friends is that you can say 'I do not need a bed, just somewhere to park nearby' - puts less pressure on them. You do not drink but would you go into pubs and get chatting? Have you got TV - I used to watch it when solo, but it has not been turned on during any of our trips together.

From the practical point of view, there are some advantages in being solo - one does not have to find water and cassette emptying so often. More room in the fridge. No discussion about where to go. Do you have a good mobile contract with plenty of free time to keep in touch with base? Navigation could be a problem unless you have satnav, although I did not, but was used to navigating all over England in a minibus with passengers, so getting the map out on the move was a no-no. I just memorised the route to the general area where I wanted to go then stopped to sus out the last few miles into memory.

If you are using campsites for a few days and you are not near shops and need to use the MH you will need something to indicate 'Pitch reserved'
These are just jottings - if I think of anything else I will post again.

Geoff
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 13-12-2016, 13:33

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I've done it twice now, just for a week, handy being 2-3 hours from Scotland though.

The first time I couldn't wait to get back home, second I was a bit better, as Liz was on a mini cruise so I'd have been by my own anyway but went further afield and got to enjoy it more, if I go again I might enjoy it more, my problem would be time constraints, I prefer to have the old bat with me, but would not normally get more than a week away alone which limits how far I can travel away from home, any longer and she'll have either moved or I wouldn't recognise the place or be able to find anything ever again.

Like anything else, it'll need to be baby steps, and maybe a smaller van if it always going to be a singles affair.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 13-12-2016, 15:59

Send a message via MSN to suedew
Not gone for any longer than a week, but I go away on my own sometimes, I enjoy the peace and quiet and usually no tv..
Don't like the van sitting in storage waiting for a 'window' so we can both go away.
I was a bit of a loner when yong so manage ok for a week or so, but would crave company if any longer, not so easy for solo female to walk into a bar, must be getting old.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 13-12-2016, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedew View Post
Not gone for any longer than a week, but I go away on my own sometimes, I enjoy the peace and quiet and usually no tv..
Don't like the van sitting in storage waiting for a 'window' so we can both go away.
I was a bit of a loner when yong so manage ok for a week or so, but would crave company if any longer, not so easy for solo female to walk into a bar, must be getting old.
Could be a 'safety factor'?

I will go to hide now.
suedew and suedew like this.
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 13-12-2016, 16:18

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
... not so easy for solo female to walk into a bar, must be getting old.
I would agree with that Sue.

I was away recently in France for 5-6 weeks on my own tho I did meet up with my son and family on a campsite in the Dordogne for 10 days. I found it helpful to have such a focus for the trip. I'd about a week and a half on my own before, and 2 and a half weeks after. Looking back on my diary yesterday I'm surprised that I moved on virtually every day. When hubby was with me we used to say 'This looks a nice place, let's stop for the night' - and several days later we'd still be there!

I didn't go into bars as such, but cafés are grand for singles, male and female.

I did a mix of campsites, Aires and France Passion. I did find people on the whole less open to general chit chat than they probably would have been if I'd been 2. But I may also have been less forthcoming.
suedew, suedew, cabby and 1 others like this.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 13-12-2016, 18:35

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Well I think cabby

That a MH is fantastic

But not as fantastic as your other half

So stuff the MH

And find something that you two can enjoy together

Whilst you have time to be together

Like us you are getting older, and illness intervenes to shorten the time, maybe

Nothing lasts for ever

But it's worth making it last as long as we can together

Sandra
listerdiesel and listerdiesel like this.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-12-2016, 16:09

Send a message via MSN to suedew
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Could be a 'safety factor'?

I will go to hide now.
Ah but whose safety?
tugboat and tugboat like this.
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-12-2016, 19:05

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,013 Times in 878 Posts
Personal Aire
If you want to go away and have some time on your own in the van Phil go for it. Depends what you want out of it. Ive done a few short trips on my own but Im never on my own long. Not really a loner type. Ive used it to meet up with old friends go to meets, annoy Tugboat or Sandra and Albert etc. What about going to a rally or a meet on your own first? See if you cope ok on your own but not quite on your own if you like.

I used to have a boat and spent loads of time on my own on that. Mrs D really wasnt into it (probably couldnt wait to get shot of me) so I used it as a second office I miss it but I have to say the motorhome has been better as we both have enjoyed it.
aldra and aldra like this.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
The Following User Says Thank You to barryd For This Useful Post:
cabby (14-12-2016)
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 14-12-2016, 19:18

Quote:
Ah but whose safety?
Do tell me what you might do to the other innocent drinkers in the bar - my juices are running
suedew and suedew like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page