Morocco, Greece or Sicily in winter...that old chestnut! - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 28-04-2015, 17:07 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Murvi Morello
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieP View Post
We drove down through Italy and were quite glad we did as we got to see many places we'd only ever dreamed about. Be aware however that after Naples the roads can be very challenging - motorways half finished and single lane for much of the way. If we were going to Sicily again we'd probably take out a second mortgage and take the boat from Genoa - from memory it cost us 700 euros on the return journey but was worth every penny not to have to drive up through Italy once more. We're in an old, noisy, slow van - for you maybe the roads would not be such an issue.

Give me a shout nearer the time and I'll dig out all our wild camping spots for you.
Thanks Jackie - I just caught up with a bit of the stuff you posted in the 'Italy Touring' section. Very helpful.
You made me recall my epic drive to Bari to catch the ferry to Greece back in 2009. I ended up on the Patras-Venice ferry on the return but it wasn't too expensive (if I remember correctly). What a way to arrive in Venice. I owe a lot of the successful planning of that trip to the wonderful Don Madge - he was always bang on with advice concerning ferries and stopovers, and generally sorting the wheat from the chaff. I sure miss him on the forum.
The Genoa-Sicily prices are out of order! I just had a little epiphany today though - it might be the dogs b****cks to island hop by ferry - Marseille-Corsica-Sardinia-Sicily. I just checked the Cagliari-Palermo ferry - only Ä159 in February, one way. If that is correct, it's an off-season bargain. Dog can be accompanied on board. I just wonder how rough that crossing will be in winter. More research to do!
I will indeed get in touch closer to the time - watching Inspector Montalbano to wet the whistle in the meantime.
Jac

Patience is the companion of wisdom...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-05-2016, 21:28

My Motorhome: Hymer 654SL Star Edition
Hi Jac,

I am envious just reading these posts. We spent 5 weeks travelling around Sicily before Xmas and absolutely loved it. You are right - the ferry to Corsica then to sardinia and onto Sicily is a great idea. Winter ferries tend to go from Toulon and I will definitely go this way next trip down. seriously unlucky to encounter bad weather. Two days of rain in 36 days Swam in the ocean - water temp 21 -22 deg.

Things we did differently.. changed from Vodafone to Three to take advantage of their free to roam package which mean we could use our UK minutes and data on the road. We have since been in Spain for two Months as well as France and have saved a fortune.

I dded to Apps to my phone which turned out to be invaluable. Camperonline and Park4night. between the two we free camped for 4 of the five weeks we were there.

Sicily was very safe and at no stage did we feel otherwise and we parked up in some very out of the way places. Driving is challenging in that they are very aggressive especially in Palermo but just be very positive in everything you do and the will get out of your way.

Must see places . check out my blog www.bazjancieandmilo.blog.com.

Dont - take a motorhome into Taormina - park at the funicula below - we stayed two nights with no problem.

That was the only hassle in our trip.

I have yet to finalize the blog but one place you must visit as you return to Palermo is Cefalu. There is paid parking on the wstern end of town and aside ffrom the fact that it is a fantastic palce it has the best wine bar ever - le petit tonneau...have a glass or two of bubbly and watch the sunset from the balcony.. You wont want to leave.

Enjoy
PM me if you have any questions or you would like info on stops

cheers

barry
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 08:35
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Jac

Any chance of an update? Did your plans from last year come to fruition?

Graham

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 18:28

My Motorhome: Elddis 145 signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMJ View Post
Jac

Any chance of an update? Did your plans from last year come to fruition?

Graham
Yeh, would love to hear how it all went. Wor lass and me self are giving this some serious consideration.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 20:51

Personal Aire
Sicily

We were in Sicily in May and June last year.
We took the ferry from Civitavechia, 14 hours overnight with an outside cabin and from memory about Ä230 one way. We were happy to drive back north with the sun on our backs.
Motorways are being upgraded, and many stretches are finished, some tunnels are being rebuilt with a hard shoulder and we had one or two long and interesting diversions.
We intend to return and maybe in the winter, have a read of "Just one Cornetto" a fascinating account of winter in Sicily in a small motorhome. Its available for a Kindle etc

cheers alan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page