Solo to Greece - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-12-2014, 10:46 Thread Starter

Solo to Greece

Any advice regarding a lady going solo to Greece, whether it be a route, camping, Aires, having to chage seats to pay a toll, security, whatever you can suggest will be appreciated.
The van is a pvc by the way. Thankyou.

site helper note - moved to Solo Motorhoming forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-12-2014, 12:31

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
I'd go Italy and Brindisi-Patras ferry rather than drive through the old Yugoslavia countries. it was bad enough when we did it in the days when Yugoslavia was in existence.

Peter
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-12-2014, 16:17

My Motorhome: Adria vision I707SG
I Agee with the Italian ferry option, I did the trip through the old Yugoslavia many years ago, and willingly payed the extra money to come back via Italy on the ferry,
I know the road system has improved and you can go through Albania but IMO the safest route for a lone traveller of whatever gender would be the ferry,

Now reitired thank god , looking forward to flying when the weather is good or motorhoming when itīs not, just like to get away from it all now I can take it easy.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-12-2014, 16:17

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
delfy

This website is very useful for booking ferries

http://www.danae.gr/

Peter(above) meant to write Brindisi-Patras, but there are also routes from Venice, Ancona and Bari.

Some of the ferries allow one to camp in the MH on deck, thus saving the cost of a cabin and not having to use the ferry restaurants etc. To get a camping spot you need to book early.

For loads more info trawl through the Greece Touring section on MHF.

Don Madge ran a blog for many years, although he gave up M/homing a year or so back, and he posted lots of useful info.

peejay is also very experienced on Greece and has compiled an excellent map of sites and wildcamping spots. There are some excellent spots often just next to beaches and also with some stunning mountain views.

Wild camping is by law forbidden but lots of people do it and it is tolerated.

Most of the campsites are only open for short periods in the peak summer months and very few all year.

Geoff

Geoff
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-12-2014, 17:10

Now this is what makes this site so, so good ,

We can all learn off all the answers

and as a newbie I really appreciate it very muc

thanks

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-12-2014, 17:27

My Motorhome: Mercedes 614D
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong
Peter(above) meant to write Brindisi-Patras
Geoff
Cheers, Geoff, many years since I did that trip!

Belgium/Germany/Austria/Yugoslavia on the way down, Italy/Switzerland/Germany/Belgium coming back.

Driving a 608D generator truck.

Peter
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-12-2014, 17:50 Thread Starter

We used to make the trip each summer, in a variety of VW camper vans. That rear air cooled engine space was a gem for cooking meat in a tin foil packet en route!!
Don't fancy the haul through the former Yugoslavia on my own and the Venice ferry to Patras is great. It's the solo part that I need help with. Safe places to stop on the way to Venice and then in Greece. I'm ok on Kefalonia as there are friends to visit. Thanks for the help so far.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-12-2014, 20:04

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by delfy
We used to make the trip each summer, in a variety of VW camper vans. That rear air cooled engine space was a gem for cooking meat in a tin foil packet en route!!
Don't fancy the haul through the former Yugoslavia on my own and the Venice ferry to Patras is great. It's the solo part that I need help with. Safe places to stop on the way to Venice and then in Greece. I'm ok on Kefalonia as there are friends to visit. Thanks for the help so far.
Delfy

Sorry if I was giving loads of stuff you know, but it was not clear that you had done the trip before.

As far as solo in Greece is concerned I have not done it in a MH but spent many years solo on my boat there and never had any problems. In general terms I find Greeks are respectul of a solo lady and do not hassle. However there are many more immigrants now and that does of course change the nature of the place, but most of the immigrants are concentrated in towns.

If you ever felt insecure I would suggest just diving into the nearest Greek cafe or taverna where I am sure you would be loooked after.

Geoff
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 19-12-2014, 21:29

It does depend on where you ar going and which route you prefer to get there...
We use the Frejus tunnel to get across the Alps snd then it seems to make more sense to do Ancona - Patras.
The Venice route is 90 miles less driving but I remember last year the cost of the diesel was more than saved on the fare.

The campsite at Patras - Rion Beach appeared rather more than jus shut for the Winter. We went to Ionion Beach (SW from Patras) which was very satisfactory. But then we were travelling in January last year.

Patrick
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 20-12-2014, 15:41

My Motorhome: Hymer B504 on Ducato 2.8jtd
Personal Aire
Hi Daf,

Can't help on the solo bit as its always been the two of us travelling but I'm sure a lady of your travelling experience around Europe and into Morocco will hold you in good stead for the trip.

Route wise we've always found the best way is via Belgium, Luxembourg, down through Eastern France via then into Switzerland via Basel then into Italy to Milan. Then either turn left for Venice or straight on for Ancona. Mostly toll free until Italy and of course the Swiss vignette assuming you are now under 3.5t.

If you think you'll be comfortable with aires and wildcamping along the way then I can list you places we've used over the years for the above. Can't help with campsites but that would depend on time of year you are going.

Ferry wise for Greece, you will probably have to wait until the new year before any firm prices are published although Superfast have put a few prices on their website.
Pay careful attention to the dreaded fuel surcharges, especially on the Venice route where they were very steep this year (50euro each way for a camper +1pax ) and are usually hidden in the smallprint.

If you're landing at Patras, looking at the map and assuming you're getting a further ferry from Killini, its only a relatively short drive between the two so you probably wouldn't need an overnight for that stretch. We have wildcamped along that stretch though, so can give you more info if req'd.

Its 2 years since we were last in Greece and then it was only to transit through the north to Turkey so maybe a little out of touch with the situation out there but I would contact Margaret and Barry on the magbaz website who visit regularly, they are very helpful and would be who I would ask for advice.

A snippet about the current situation and security inGreece taken from their website...

http://www.magbaztravels.com/content/view/1544/30/

Give us a shout if you need more help.

Pete

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page