Motorhome with young children - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 06:49

I accept twinky, motorhomes van can accommodate your children safety.. but most of children are not capable to staying in more days..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 07:57

For me the 656 CI is a great choice, as are many of those with bunk bed options as they tend to be the ones that give you the seatbelts that you need.

Seat belts and storage will be your biggest issues, be prepared to down size in the amount of things you need to take with you and believe me that is not easy with small children in tow.

Good luck with it, you will have a great time once you have everything straight in your head. One thing to encourage the other half with is the fact you cannot escape from her talking to you and will have to listen , we decided not to take a TV with us so this gives us more time with the children for games and conversation something sadly missing in many households these days.

Take care and have fun
Mandy

Never let anyone take away your dance in this life. They just can´t hear the music you hear.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 08:19

Are you talking camper van or motorhome? We started in a motorhome since the first one was 3 yrs old and the middle one 1 yr old (4 of us in a 15.75" MH) then became 5 and went to a campervan. Now, 5 plus a dog is serious restriction on what to take!

We've just come back to a MH, a model with fixed bunk beds, a double dinette AND a side facing lounge seat with a big shower room and just 21' long. Our kids are now 10, 8 and 6.

They have all been and still go camping and love MH'ing. We remain mobile a lot of the time but last year went to France and were static for the first time for 2 weeks (well, one trip out in the then camper) and went everywhere else by bike. They claimed to enjoy it more than Disneyland Florida!

I agree- MH'ing is very enjoyable with kids, but it's a lifestyle and a compromise. May I suggest that you try one of the more budget MH hires for a week. Yes it may cost 350-500 off season but at least you'll know whether you like it, not everyone does!

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 09:42

Don't have kids myself, but a couple of years ago we met a couple of Aussies from Tazmania who came to Europe as soon as the youngest was old enough to fly (4 months old?). They bought an old van in the Netherlands and were touring around from Netherlands to Spain to Greece for a year. They loved it, the kids loved it and even I who doesn't really do kids recognised how easily they took to it and loved the life. Think you will probably find the kids love it even more than you will

All the best with what ever you decide.

Sue

Sue
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:07

Personal Aire
Kids love new experiences and security, both possible with a motorhome where they can take familiar toys and discover new places.
One minor glitch is the sturdiness of lightweight motorhomes, where furniture and fittings may not be as sturdy as those in your home and children love to fiddle. Your children like my grandchildren are of course perfectly behaved so this does not apply to them.
Alan
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyandandy
For me the 656 CI is a great choice, as are many of those with bunk bed options as they tend to be the ones that give you the seatbelts that you need.

Seat belts and storage will be your biggest issues, be prepared to down size in the amount of things you need to take with you and believe me that is not easy with small children in tow.

Good luck with it, you will have a great time once you have everything straight in your head. One thing to encourage the other half with is the fact you cannot escape from her talking to you and will have to listen , we decided not to take a TV with us so this gives us more time with the children for games and conversation something sadly missing in many households these days.

Take care and have fun
Mandy
We have got a TV but I agree with what you say. I see so many parents take along multi TVs, playstations etc etc. They then take their children off and need loadsa-amps to power it all and so it becomes just a bore. All the chldren end up doing is the same as they do at home so whats the point of going away

Camping is all about adventure. Yes the kids will moan at first but get them out into the open, get them trailing into the unknown, push them out of their comfort zone and make them discover themselves.

By hte age of 14/15 thought hey do not even want to be living at home, so a motorhome has no chance
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 10:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by artona
Camping is all about adventure. Yes the kids will moan at first but get them out into the open, get them trailing into the unknown, push them out of their comfort zone and make them discover themselves.

By hte age of 14/15 thought hey do not even want to be living at home, so a motorhome has no chance
I agree, mine are trained to be outdoors and can all make a fire from scratch; well using a flint and steel, and they can all make a shelter using natural materials. After that a motorhome is bliss.

Mind you the PS3 and tele is very popular at home
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 11:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandyandandy
I have to agree as well. We have an 18 mth and a 9 year old and yes it can get a bit manic inside at dinner time and bedtime (which fortunately is quite staggered at the moment), but generally the door on the side of the MH tends to sort the space issue out when the weathers good!! When the weathers not, we just waterproof up and get out in it, thats what its about!

Our 9 year old loves it, getting out and about then having a games night or a DVD night with the family!! The bunks on the 656 are huge, so she can retreat up there with her ipod/DS whenever she wants, but rarely does!

"It's an adventure" is not a phrase just for the kids!!!
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 07-01-2011, 16:52

My Motorhome: La Strada Nova M
I guess I'm out of touch with young uns' expectatations nowadays, but when our firstborn was 10 months old, 32 years ago, we took a trip down the west coast of France from Roscoff and on to Santander to return home via Brittany Ferries.with one gran, in a bay-window VW Dormobile. Great holiday. As he and his younger brother grew older we found we stayed in one place longer, and that's what most kids will want - so weigh up if it's your urge to tour or theirs to stay by the beach which will be most important. However, whilst our younger one wants nothing to do with camping (except Glastonbury) the older one still likes motorhome touring hols.
Others have mentioned the need for seatbelts, not something we thought much about 30 years ago, and you are very likely to find with a 10K budget, that few motorhomes have them. Some Euro m'homes do, but, chances are, no British ones, and it's not a matter for easy retro-fitting. It may well be that you'll find a camper-van with belts easier than a coachbuilt motorhome. With the former, if you think you might wish to stay a while on site, a drive-away awning is a useful asset to provide a larger space while camping.
Similarly I'd guess it's unlikely you'd find a camper with bunk beds within your budget as they've tended to be a relatively recent and mainly European van innovation.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 22-10-2012, 14:21

Took our young kids to the westest point of Wales when they were 4 and 6. Journey from Scotland was a nightmare but if you are closer, then I highly suggest you go. Kids are sadly grown or growing up these days but it gives us more of a chance to do return visits. Originally we hired a camper to get down there but there was plenty to do. Loads and loads of beaches and places to go for free days out but also within 30 miles, there are some activity parks close(ish) by. Still very remote in parts but lovely place to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page