Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Motorhoming with Children (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/204-motorhoming-children/)
-   -   Child/ baby seats in rear of motorhome. (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/204-motorhoming-children/155377-child-baby-seats-rear-motorhome.html)

robbosps 17-08-2015 21:45

Child/ baby seats in rear of motorhome.

I now have 2 kids.

One sits in a high back booster

The other is in a car seat type bucket.

Both are secured with the 3 point seatbelts which are the two dinette seats facing forward.

Now, my problem is that the booster always wants to fall off the seat if we have any "turbulence". We currently put a cushion behind the chair to keep it in position, but wondered if anyone had encounter a similar issue, or has a simple solution to stop it falling off?

Penquin 17-08-2015 22:42

Surely with the high back booster seat, the seat belt is supposed to pass through loops on the seat to ensure that it CANNOT (or should not) move?

If it can move then the restraint is inadequate IMO and I would seek professional advice from the seat manufacruer or the supplier of newly acquired as to how it should be secured.

An inadequately secured booster seat is of no use at all and is of questionable legality in use - and the legal responsibility lies with the driver.

Modifying the seats with cushions will render it ineffective and is NOT permitted by manufacturers - adequate fitting advice MUST be obtained to ensure safety.

Dave

ttcharlie 23-08-2015 13:14

We had exactly this problem and also have the same MH.

We solved it by putting a luggage type ratchet strap around the supports to the headrest, and then around the extension to the head support on the booster seat back.

Hope this makes sense.

Penquin 23-08-2015 14:29

It sounds to me as if that seat is not compatible with the restraints and alternatives and advice must be sought - not all equipment will fit every seat / system.

Get it checked PROPERLY - the child's life is at risk... as is your own if the whole seat detaches and hits you in the back of the neck in the evnt of a sudden stop.

There can be no compromise on safety - "it'll do" is not appropriate.

Dave (ambulance driver and crew in former life)

suedew 24-08-2015 17:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by Penquin (Post 1636377)
It sounds to me as if that seat is not compatible with the restraints and alternatives and advice must be sought - not all equipment will fit every seat / system.

Get it checked PROPERLY - the child's life is at risk... as is your own if the whole seat detaches and hits you in the back of the neck in the evnt of a sudden stop.

There can be no compromise on safety - "it'll do" is not appropriate.

Dave (ambulance driver and crew in former life)

I'm with you on this one Dave, especially having cared for the result of a badly fitted child seat. (paediatric nurse, retired)

Brock 24-08-2015 17:37

Booster seats that submarine were not uncommon in our day and may still be. It tends to be because the foam is too squidgy. The foam has to act as a bed base and seat base, unlike a car seat. We changed our van.

Have a look at Isofix child seating.

http://www.childcarseats.org.uk/type.../isofix-seats/

Jiggles 24-08-2015 19:57

This is the type of situation that gaffer tape was invented for :-D

Penquin 24-08-2015 21:22

An observation and nothing more, the OP raised the question a week ago and has not responded on the post at all to the comments made, the topic was bound to provoke strong reactions since the safety of children is implied, but there has been no update from him that he has sorted the problem or is even addressing it.

Is it only me that finds this a little less than satisfactory? To appeal for advice and then not even acknowledge the comments made whilst still continuing to post on other threads may seem a little like stoking a fire and then withdrawing - which I am sure is not the case, but surely a simple response is warranted?

Concerns are being expressed, these could easily be allayed by a quick reply updating us as to what action is being taken (if any) or whether an alternative solution has been found.....

Am I being unreasonable to expect such a thing from the OP ?

Dave

Brock 24-08-2015 22:55

Dave, I'm with you. There should be an acknowledgement of posts and perhaps an indication of action taken or to be taken. It just doesn't always pan out that way for various reasons.

I liken it to the milk in the fridge. It's easy to take for granted advice given on this forum because we all give it at different times and then expect it in return. Just like we put milk in the fridge and always expect it to be there when we want it.

robbosps 27-08-2015 00:05

Unlike lots, I do get to look here, but usually it depends on my full time joB and two small children, so today is my opportunity to see if anyone had replied!

Thanks for the advise, and thanks for the patronising comments about my chIlds safety. In my previous job I was lucky to deal with road deaths on a daily basis having cut people from cars and washing their brains off my clothing afterwards. I'm very well aware of seatbelts importance.

I have Isofix in my car. It's great. I wanted to see what other people have done/ had/ overcome, not a winge and moan about my in ability to either reply, bow at your feet, or other forms of self gratification. I like this forum and happily pay the subscription to ask for help, but give people a chance.

I had wondered if anyone had replaced the seat foam or welded on Isofix loops. The babies bucket is happily secured with the belts, but the high back needs, like in a car a bolster.