going to scotland with 6 year old any suggestions - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 20-04-2013, 18:38

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
First thing to do is ask the 6 year old what he would like to do, don't drag the poor lad around all the stuff you like, I got that as a kid, it got so going out was not a thing to look forward to.

In this day of the web, he'll probably know his way around, tell him which areas you're going to and let him do some research and let him choose some things too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 20-04-2013, 20:21

As mentioned

http://www.scotlandsthemepark.com/

M&D's is not on the same scale as the big parks in England but if you visit after the Scots return to school then you will go on 4 times the rides. Used to accept Tesco voucher as well. Was there in 2011 at the end of August and it started to rain - the boys were on the dodgems for 2+ hours continuously.

The Falkirk wheel is unique and worth a visit.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-04-2013, 08:15 Thread Starter

Hi Thank you so much for your suggestions, I will start planning and let you all know how we get along. Cheers. Sarah.

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 21-04-2013, 09:04

If heading up to Fort William to do the Jacobite (Harry Potter) train journey - which is rightly named the most beautiful train journey in the world, then Nevis Range is close by. You can take the Gondola up top with stunning views when it's clear - but dress warm. It might be warm at the bottom, but it's always cold up top. The also have a high wire adventure thingymajig. Friend's kids had a blast on that.

http://www.nevisrange.co.uk/
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 22-04-2013, 09:49

Landmark in Carrbridge in Cairngorms. Lots of fun there, including high level walks around the trees, some rides and swings from high trees.

I would try to not move around too much....stay on campsites and he will make friends to play with.

Loch Garten for ospreys and red squirrels. There are good walks that he can watch the loch, dig in the sand and water, climb trees and just get wet and muddy. Lovely beach at Nairn on the coast north of cairngorm area. If you go up the railway to the top of Cairngorm remember that you are not allowed outside....you have to walk up for that and it is a long way! The fort at Ruthven (south cairngorms) is fun...lots of imagination games there. My daughter still remembers that and the very silly game we played imagining we were invisible and no-one could see us......she was about 7 or 8...I had no excuse!!

Children can make their own fun....my daughter has tent camped since being a few months old and we always had fun without spending loads on theme parks and entertainment. I found that a new toy for the holidays for wet days helped. She had a lego toy to open when we arrived so it was fresh.

I am sure you will all have fun, but don't push yourselves too hard...the roads are slow and why hurry? You can go back to see other places.

Oh, the viaduct (Harry Potter one) ayt the head of Loch Shiel is great for a train lover. Wildlife cruises go from there too. There is a steam railway in Aviemore.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 22-04-2013, 20:39

Don't forget Thunder in the Glens will be on in Aviemore 23-26 August.

There will be a lot of entertainment for all ages that weekend & the rideout would be very impressive to watch.

Camping for the weekend is £25
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 22-04-2013, 22:44

My Motorhome: Trigano tribute Van
Kids

I agree with Kev n Liz My two goddaughters come with us Fishing,mostly to Redrocks a fishery in Preston
There isnt anything there for Kids to do ~ except fishing exploring ,den building, worm collecting ,spotting deer ,
watching Rabbits and hares Etc

So last Easter we took them to a big site with swimming pool, amusements ,play parks, Assault course ,chippy ........
All they wanted to know was "Wheres the Fishing" not impressed with the park ,the pool,the amusements,tolerated the chippy.

Apparently they like the quieter sites the scenery and the fishing.
Mary age 9 caught and landed a seven and a half pound carp and 82 other fish in one weekend shes not keen on maggots but uses bread and sweetcorn very effectively,we tend to fish together in 20 min turns holding the pole but to be honest I dont get much of a turn

So save your worries and ask him what he would like to do or take it in turns to pick the days activities, actually Helena likes a chillin day of doing nothing very much Holidays can be tiring !.

My lot also like to bring stuff to do if it rains ; Colouring books, Cards ,puzzles,connect 4,Jenga Top trumps, DVDs

Does he have a favourite toy or blanket that he likes to take to bed
Does he have his own Sleeping bag or Duvet that would comfort him at night

Gosh I'm rambling on .......
Have a good time and let us know how you get on
Cath
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 22-04-2013, 23:56

there are lots of places to see dolphins in Scotland just put dolphins in Scotland into google and see if any locations tie in with your route

How´s my driving? Call 0800..........AAAAARRGH!!
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 23-04-2013, 00:09

Young kids generally not interested in scenery. Other kids to play with is best. Would also suggest an afternoon with a kite/glider an afternoon with a fishing net and poking stick down at the rock pools, a remote control boat/car, swing ball, lego, board and computer games for wet days. Wheels. Worked with mine.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 23-04-2013, 06:48

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
You only have to think of Christmas day to realise you can't guess what a young child will like, how often are they found playing with a mundane box or wrapping, or some stupid cheap toy, than the expensive toys you bought.

Kids when asked usually do have an opinion on what they want to do, as the don't have the worries or pressures of adult life and have plenty of time to think and discuss such things with their friends, even more so these days with their own mobile phones and web access.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page