Help for new Demounter - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 15:38 Thread Starter

Help for new Demounter

Having just bought a demountable (and still being a newbie at that particular game) i am looking for some help.

I now need a pickup.

My knowledge of these is minimal.I am looking at second hand. Can anyone suggest what is "good" or perhaps more importantly what to avoid when looking for one.

Also i have seen reference where some people have had their pickups reclassified as motorhomes on the logbook. Can someone tell me why that is done and the benefit that it gives.

Thanks,

Gojo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-03-2012, 22:14

Depends how much you are thinking of paying on what may be the best to go for.
Nissan Navara D22's (up to 2005) are fine but you must make sure it has had the bottom end of the engine sorted out. They have a habit of throwing conrods through the engine block. Make sure you see the bills for the work, and don't just take their word for it.
Nissan D40 (2005 - present). Early ones (up to late 2007)were prone to having soft halfshafts which meant the seals wore the shafts and leaked oil onto the break pads. As with many other types of pickups, Nissan were using a 'dual mass' flywheel and these have also caused problems. Many owners (of all types) have changed them for 'solid flywheels' (me included).
Up to late 2007 the engines were to 'euro3' emissions and returned around mid 30's MPG for a manual. From 2007 to 2010 they were 'euro4' and returned around mid 20's MPG.
Having said all that, I thoroughly enjoy mine.

Toyota Hilux have a very good reputation. Unfortunately they hold their price a lot more than the Nissan. Also, they can be considered a bit 'basic' when considering accessories and 'tiedown' systems. Good trucks though.

I have only looked at trucks to pull my 5th wheeler, where GTW is important, so did not look at the Ford Ranger or Mitsubishi L200, aqs they would not pull the weight. May be fine for a demountable though. All depend on gross rear axle weight.

The 'new' ford Ranger however, is a dream of a pickup.

Also, don't forget that Mazda B2500 is basically the same as the Ford Ranger under the skin.

Good hunting.

Ken

Kountrylite Compact / Nissan Navara
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 09:37

Location: Ex Rochdale,now Cabanas de Tavira, S.Brittany & where the wheels take me
My Motorhome: Calder Leisure Ultralite 5'er & Globecar Globestar PVC
I have Mazda Bt50 double cab on 57 plate, 30-35mpg solo, 19 towing 3500k fiver. Highly recommended, basic 4WD system but built for work and can be bought for sensible prices, similarly Ford Ranger.

GTW on Mazda is 6030k, higher than standard Navara which is, from memory, 5800k.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 10:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al42
I have Mazda Bt50 double cab on 57 plate, 30-35mpg solo, 19 towing 3500k fiver. Highly recommended, basic 4WD system but built for work and can be bought for sensible prices, similarly Ford Ranger.

GTW on Mazda is 6030k, higher than standard Navara which is, from memory, 5800k.
I didn't realise the Mazda GTW was that high.
You are right, standard Navara GTW is 5750, but Calder Leisure & Fifth wheel Co got together and paid for Navara and Hilux to be re-assessed with Air Suspension which now pushes Navara GTW up to 6500kg.

Ken

Kountrylite Compact / Nissan Navara
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 14:08

We had a Mazda B2500 as we had planned to get a demountable, but decided against it. Really good car and very reliable. We usaed it to tow a caravan for a few years and it hardly seemed to notice the weight on behind. It is a basic work kind of vehicle with few mod cons, but it does the job very well.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-03-2012, 17:11

Hiya and good luck with your purchase!

Does any dismountable pretty much fit on any pick up then? Perhaps not a double cab with restricted bed length, but the carrying capacity of all mainstream ones are up to a loaded camper??

Jason

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page