Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Date marks on tyres

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mrplodd 
#1 ·
I've just had 2 new tyres fitted on my van, Michelins.

They are dated 1219. That can't be right, surely?

I thought they were supposed to be marked with date of manufacture.

The markings don't look to have the same moulded height as adjacent marks.

I realise tyre manufacturers don't want to make tyres and have them sitting around in warehouses unused, but something like this makes me feel a bit suspicious. They must have been dated post manufacture. Should they be marked in the original mould process, I don't know?

Tyres were fitted by my mobile mechanic who I've been using for years so I don't doubt his integrity.

Any thoughts, folks?

#2 ·
Week 12 2019 Geoff so it's very possible they are very recently produced.

Terry

#6 ·
yep its definately week number of manufacture. We had two new fitted earlier this year and our tyre fitter made sure they were recently manufactured

We need 4 new next year, I'll have to mortgage my house to pay for them :surprise:

#8 ·
yep its definately week number of manufacture. We had two new fitted earlier this year and our tyre fitter made sure they were recently manufactured

We need 4 new next year, I'll have to mortgage my house to pay for them :surprise:
Try www.blackcircles.com I have been using them for years. You buy your tyres on line, pay for them and then decide where and when you have them fitted (fitting costs are included in the price)
They have a huge stock turnover so their tyres always seem pretty new, at least the ones I have purchased have been.

Andy

#10 ·
Thanks both for the recommendations, I checked the online prices (black circles/Asda etc) first and my local tyre fitter matched the price and guaranteed tyres manufactured during 2019 so I’ll stick with him for the next 4

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.