Time for new tyres all round, Continental, Michelin or Toyo? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 17:36

My Motorhome: Hymer T625
Conti Vanco Campers for me. No complaints whatsoever. Price and availability are an issue, as is what kind of environments you're going to subject your tyres to. Mine are a bit pampered. Indoors all winter, and not many rough roads. Also keep in mind they should be replaced at 7 years of age maximum.

When I bought the last set, there was a shortage and I could only get 2 tyres, the balance of 3 I bought the following year. Consider also if you should need to buy any replacements whilst on a trip. Is your choice likely to be available (in Europe?) at a fair price?

Viv

"When I was 17 the boys used to call me "Coke-bottle-legs". Fifty years later, they are still like Coke bottles. Sadly, the 2 litre version!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 63 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 19:41

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Mine are Michelin Agilis Camping M&S 215/70R15CP and the advice from the manufacturer is to keep the rear ones at 80psi. This seems to go against previous advice which was to match the pressure to the load on the axle.

My dealer suggested that the 80psi was relevant when storing but that I should run on 60 all round.

Must say I find it all a bit confusing.
Heinz likes this.

Jean
post #13 of 63 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 19:16 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Swift Lifestyle 590RS
Send a message via MSN to Pat-H
Yes I'm aware of the advice on the life span of the tyres. And advice ranges from changing them every 5 years to every 10 years.
I emailed Continental for their advice a few years back and they suggested 10 years max but it all depends on how they have been treated and the condition of them.
Our tyres (and van) have only done 24K miles in 10 years so the ones on it have loads of tread left (especially as I rotated back to front)

I won't be changing the spare as its done about 8K Miles and is under the van so out of the sun etc. Not prepared to pay 100 for it to sit there for another 10 years.

So it will be a set of 4 and if we get a puncture the spare will just be a limp to garage or home.

I agree its much of a muchness as long as they meet spec but the H09s have the tread pattern that's of interest. getting stuck on wet grass is a more frequent issue for us than long runs at speed on hot summer roads.

Pat

Now just waiting until we decide to rejoin.
Happy to actively support Black Lives Matter because all lives do matter even black ones.

post #14 of 63 (permalink) Old 24-05-2018, 22:31 Thread Starter

Thought I'd update this topic.
Eventually went with the Toyo H09s
Got them for under 240 for 4 delivered to my door from Demon Tweaks
Then paid ATS 60 to fit, balance and dispose of the old.
Guy wasn't too happy as they didn't have camper on them.
I pointed out that they had the same spec, same loading rating, same speed rating same side wall ply count.
He wasn't happy but fitted them.

Customer support at Toyo UK very helpful. Said a lot of motorhomers used them. Even gave me tyre pressures based on my axle loading (65psi front 69psi rear)

Done a few hundred miles since. Quieter and smoother ride now and handles then same. Not had a chance t chew up any wet grass yet

Pat

Happy to actively support Black Lives Matter because all lives do matter even black ones.
post #15 of 63 (permalink) Old 17-08-2018, 12:39 Thread Starter

Just back from nearly 2K miles on the new tyres. They are great. Possibly a little more weave when passing big trucks at high speeds but hard to compare.
The ride is so much nicer now. Its less noisy and less tiring.
And the grip is great. Got squeezed onto some mud passing a coach in a very narrow scotish lane. Tyre sank upto wheel trim but the tyres just dug a way out.
Very happy with them.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Pat

post #16 of 63 (permalink) Old 17-08-2018, 17:03

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
We are 3850 and was told by Toyo to run them at 60 and 65 rear. They are 225 70 15

Check your info about 69 rear........................... I am sure they have a maximum of 65 psi written on ours.

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great ...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
post #17 of 63 (permalink) Old 17-08-2018, 17:37 Thread Starter

Just checked and the H09s on mine are rated at 70psi on the tyre.

Pat

post #18 of 63 (permalink) Old 17-08-2018, 19:09

My Motorhome: Adria Coral 690SP
That's interesting Pat...................are they the same size ....................don't know if that makes a difference to the PSI.......................but that's a fair old difference

Peter and Carmel

Spooky travelled with us for 5 years and over 20,000 miles.He died aged 11 and is buried in Delphi in Greece.
Now that's a great age and a great adventure for a rabbit and I think he deserves a mention.

The best things in Life...........................are not Things !!

Life is really, really great ...........sometimes it's a bit sh*t............and then you die !!
post #19 of 63 (permalink) Old 18-08-2018, 18:18

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
conti vancos here
Sandra
post #20 of 63 (permalink) Old 19-08-2018, 11:12 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webby1 View Post
That's interesting Pat...................are they the same size ....................don't know if that makes a difference to the PSI.......................but that's a fair old difference
Mine are 215/70R15C 109 H09

Pat

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page