23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 08:07

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrplodd View Post
It always amused me when, after stopping a car in darkest December and asking the driver, “When did you last check your lights please” (due to one or more being out) I would often get the response “Well it was MOT’d in July!”

You are of course right about our reliance these days on technology, but having said that most vehicles these days go from one service to the next without using a drop of oil, and having warning lights for just about everything else, sort of negates the necessity of “doing” the oil, water, tyres etc on a weekly basis like wot we used to!! Andy
Well done Mick. Yes you were lucky to stop safely.

Now most cars have a dash warning when any lamp is out Andy it makes checking even less likely. But again with the complexity of the light assembly it's suggested taking the car to an 'authorised' service agent? Just to change a bulb.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 09:23

My Motorhome: 2012 Bailey Approach 740
Personal Aire
Used to be if your tyre was inflated correctly the pressure would rise by 4psi, if it raised more then tyre was underinflated by the difference between 4psi and the actual rise, If it was less then it was overinflated by the difference between 4psi and actual rise.

This has always worked well for me

This is me
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 09:43

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete4x4 View Post
Used to be if your tyre was inflated correctly the pressure would rise by 4psi, if it raised more then tyre was underinflated by the difference between 4psi and the actual rise, If it was less then it was overinflated by the difference between 4psi and actual rise.

This has always worked well for me
That would be really good info if we knew for sure that it worked as stated. Problem is that normally the van weight goes up/down depending on loads so best to just get a pressure and stick to it. You will never get it spot on.

As an aside to MikeAm I thought it was "illegle" to change a wheel on a motorway. Understood it had to be done by an Authorised company.

Alan

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 10:11

Since when Alan.?

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 10:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
Since when Alan.?

Ray.
As I understood it!

If you brakedown on a motorway in France then all passengers should fit yellow jackets get out the vehicle and wait in a safe place behind the safety barrier until help arrives. How would you change a wheel if you do that?

I will have to look it up.

1050 am Just found this link. http://www.eutouring.com/regulations...in_france.html

I was correct except I forgot about the warning triangles.Lots of links on Google as well.

Alan

Last edited by Cherekee; 12-08-2018 at 10:57.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 15-08-2018, 08:11

My Motorhome: Rapido 7096F
Personal Aire
Just as an update on procedure to allay any fears of not following French Rules....

We heard the tyre blowout and stopped instantly on the hard shoulder. Had a quick look and the tyre was still deflating. I was about 1 mile from the nearest emergency telephone so with the hazards on I drove very slowly on the hard shoulder towards the telephone and came across an access road off the hard shoulder with an automatic gate (that was locked), this did however offer a large space to pull in off the hard shoulder where I could work safely. I did put on the hi vis jacket and so did the rest of the family who waited behind the fence and I did put out the warming triangle.

I called the emergency service on the telephone and they were ok with me changing the tyre where I was , they advised me that I could get their breakdown contractors to come out if need be but in the end I managed...... it would have cost me €150 to get them out, my European cover would have covered it if need be but it was quicker to get on with it and do it myself.

We made it to our final destination and called the local garage, they can change the tyre when I’m ready so plan to do this in a few days, actually getting both back ones done despite only being 3 years old. Front ones are only a month old...!

Kind Regards

Mick
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 15-08-2018, 13:33

My Motorhome: 2012 Bailey Approach 740
Personal Aire
I dont think you are right in not being able to change the wheel yourself, even the link you put up states if you need assistance then you must call the police. If your doing it yourself then you dont need any help.
I think all its saying is you have to call the police not a breakdown service.
raynipper likes this.

This is me
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 16-08-2018, 07:58

You could well be right. Not something I would need to do as do not have a spare and working on the hard shoulder is not my idea of a good holiday experience either.

Maybe "MR PLOD" Andy may see this and could ask his mate in France (who I think may be a policeman) if he can confirm one way or another what the law is.

Alan
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 16-08-2018, 08:37

Friend with a BMW and 'run flat tyres' found he had a puncture. He read you can drive at 40kmph so has visited several garages to try and get one or two new tyres. As none have been in stock he ordered two which will take a week to arrive.
He is now driving everywhere at 40kmph and I questioned this as I feel he might damage the rim eventually.?
Personally I would not buy any car without a spare even if it was a spacesaver.

Ray.

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 16-08-2018, 08:45

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Me too Ray, the amount of time wasted waiting for Mr AA to go off and find the right sized tyre is saved, plus the cost as they go up if you're stuck, there is a weight penalty, but the peace of mind outweighs that.

See what I did there.
raynipper likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page