Blow out - Page 3 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 07-04-2018, 13:41

My Motorhome: I drive...
Hi
agree with all said re age of tyre etc BUT ALSO to add a consideration: beware air pressure.
Many dealers and users blow up tyres to pressure on door pillar plate which is manufactures catch all base versions. Whenever I get mine back from a service tyres are overinflated by 10psi not good on a long hot speedy motorway trip!
Go to weighbridge then contact tyre manufacturer for pressure for tyres weight each axle. Continental welcome this and are very helpful.
Also google TYRESAFE and download their pdf on motorhome tyre pressures.
my van runs with less rattle and vibes on the proper pressure and the difference between fully laded trip weight and 'empty' is 10psi in the rear!

may your horizons never fade or your dreams evade
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-04-2018, 21:32

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Sorry but I must very strongly disagree.

An OVER inflated tyre will not overheat, an UNDER inflated one most certainly will, due to the high amount of flexing that an underinflated one will undergo. (Google it)

Andy
greygit, greygit, shingi and 7 others like this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 12:43

My Motorhome: I drive...
blowouts - some more

TRUE and a wise interjection Andy. I hope no one hurtles along on soft tyres.

I was more trying to point out getting the right pressure is not straight forward, and I think many vans tyres may be overinflated. Tyres heat most in use doing sustained motorway speeds and this adds to air pressure. Not good if the tyre is already overinflated. Balloons pop loudest the harder they are!

Over 50 years of riding and driving I don't fear a 'blowout' at 30-40mph, especially if at the rear. I've had tyrewall bulges, screws and nails embedded, leaking wheel rims, porous inner-tubes, snapped wall wires, and escapades with re-treads).
The only thing I really fear is a blowout on a busy motorway at 70mph.

If the tyre is good the other risk is debris, and that speed you don't easily see it or may not be able to avoid it. (at 4.00am once on the M1 - on a bike - I casually went centre lane to avoid what I thought was a joining strip. It was an 8ft RSJ lying square across the lane!).

The other caution is CAUTION: drive square and quiet and turn the blxxdy music off occasionally! Check there is no unusual vibration or clicking (it may not be a bit of road grit - in NZ a while back and driving a camper a persistent click was the worn end of a 6 inch nail driven fully in)

Whatever the pressure FRICTION causes heating. Speed (revolutions X time) increases surface contact and the faster the speed the more the tyre heats. And pressure impacts on contact. The lower the pressure the bigger the footprint exposed to friction, and the more the tyre flexes (which also adds to heating).

The tendency of many is not to do a weekly TP check or inspect treads (damage, foreign objects and tracking wear); and to think punctures are rare events these days (which is true but not an excuse for complacency). AND don't drive overloaded!!! MH's often are given the poor load weights of many MH's
I said enough.
checks help to ensure your horizons never fade or your dreams evade
Art.

Last edited by Art Hur; 09-04-2018 at 12:49. Reason: missed a point

post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 13:05

Very well put Art!!

Yet again I will extol the virtues of investing in a Tyre Pressure Monitoring system. They can be set to alert you when the pressure drops to a level that you set (I have mine set to activate at about 5psi below the normal running pressure) It can also set it to activate at a temperature (my Tyrepal suggests about 65* which seemed a bit high to me but I reasoned they are the experts in the matter, so I went with the recommendation)
What HAS surprised me is how quickly the pressures increase once you start driving, but only by a few psi, and then stabilises. On hot days and long journeys it can increase by up to 10 psi on a car. The other thing is the difference in temeratures on a sunny day, on the sunny side of the car it can be several degrees higher than the shady side!

TPMS is, in my view, simply. MUST have, and even more so, if, like me, you tow a caravan.

Andyi

post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 13:54

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I note that as cars become far more complex and electronic, owners do less and less relying on the 'due' service to find and cure all ills.
What were basic and regular checks carried out by the owner/driver are now relegated to the 'responsibility' of the annual service. And whatever fails is blamed on the "I have just had it serviced" idea even if the fail had nothing to do with an oil and filter change.

Ray.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 14:12

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
I agree with Andy.

I have fitted a set to mine and used them for the first time on a trip down to the Pyrenees in December. I was facinated with the readings. The temps changed depending on the sun and as well I think because of the heat coming off the exhaust/engine. The temp remained low but increased slightly when driving through rain which was interesting.

I run at 50 and 55psi and the pressures increased by about 8 psi so if someone is running 70/80 psi door pillar setting the actual pressure "could be" nearly 90 psi. Blimey!!!!!

Alan
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 15:09

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,026 Times in 965 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Ah yes Ray gone are the days when dad and everyone else in the street had the bonnet up on Sunday morning, just to make sure it got you to work all, week, and thank god, but now as you say we've gone the other way, everything is colour coded under the bonnet now, but when did you last see anyone check their oil or anything else, but still these techno marvels keep on going.
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynipper View Post
I note that as cars become far more complex and electronic, owners do less and less relying on the 'due' service to find and cure all ills.
What were basic and regular checks carried out by the owner/driver are now relegated to the 'responsibility' of the annual service. And whatever fails is blamed on the "I have just had it serviced" idea even if the fail had nothing to do with an oil and filter change.

Ray.
It always amused me when, after stopping a car in darkest December and asking the driver, “When did you last check your lights please” (due to one or more being out) I would often get the response “Well it was MOT’d in July!”

You are of course right about our reliance these days on technology, but having said that most vehicles these days go from one service to the next without using a drop of oil, and having warning lights for just about everything else, sort of negates the necessity of “doing” the oil, water, tyres etc on a weekly basis like wot we used to!!

Andy
raynipper and raynipper like this.

post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 07:49

My Motorhome: Rapido 7096F
Personal Aire
Just had one yesterday down here in France. On motorway full speed. Stopped van immediately and managed to change wheel. Tyre is 3yrs old and was correctly inflated day before.
I’d say I got away lightly after reading all the above comments. Will also grease the spare wheel mechanism as this proved difficult.

Kind Regards

Mick
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 08:01

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,026 Times in 965 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
That's bad luck, but you don't normally gease the mechanism as this attracts dust etc and jams it up, you should just lower and raise it regularly and perhaps hose it while down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page