still looking for new tyres - cant decide - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 11:50 Thread Starter

still looking for new tyres - cant decide

still looking for new tyres - can't decide ( had settled on Conti Vanco Fourseson 2's but they were out of stock at AsdaTyres )

seen these All Season M+S Michelin tyres on a USA forum :-

Michelin LTX MS Defenders
http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tir...r-ltx-m-s.html

6 year / 70,000 mile warranty maybe I can get some post brexit when we get new trade deal with USA

I have been considering a Viking Tyre ( never heard of them ) Fourtech Van all season tyre from Mytyres.co.uk which is identical to the General Tires Eurovan A/S both owned by Continental but the Viking is cheaper than the General

got to the point that I have started looking to see what tyres are fitted to the local delivery vans - I noticed that an Ocado Sprinter and an Asda Iveco were running on winter tyres in July and both sets of tyres being thrashed by curbing I assume to the point I couldn't read anything on the side walls
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 12:43

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,026 Times in 965 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
I go for the cheapest possible, there is little or no difference that you can discern from driving at 60mph, I run at 5psi blow normal and get a nice soft ride, cornering feels the same as with any tyre I've ever used, I use black circle online and just get them fitted locally by one of their dealers, las lost cost me sub £400, why pay more unless it's a peeing contest, even then I'd win as I have money left to get a bigger willy

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres

patward and patward like this.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 13:57

My Motorhome: Devon Provence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev_n_Liz View Post
I go for the cheapest possible, there is little or no difference that you can discern from driving at 60mph, I run at 5psi blow normal and get a nice soft ride, cornering feels the same as with any tyre I've ever used, I use black circle online and just get them fitted locally by one of their dealers, las lost cost me sub £400, why pay more unless it's a peeing contest, even then I'd win as I have money left to get a bigger willy

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres

I'm with Kev on this. My last set of tyres had to be replaced because they were cracking but the tread was barely worn. Given that my van has done 30000 miles in nearly 8 years it's highly unlikely that I am compromising the safety of the van by buying budget tyres. I get them on t'internet and get my local back-street garage to fit them. He charges a fiver per tyre which seems reasonable.

Infamy, infamy! They've all got it in for me!

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 14:15

My Motorhome: Swift Lifestyle 590RS
Send a message via MSN to Pat-H
It is worth looking at winter tyres. If your mileage is low then wear isn't really an issue and the winter treads are often better if the grass is a little wet.
At high speeds wnter tyres in the hot can be a concern but for a MH at 60-70MPH its just not an issue.
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Pat

Now just waiting until we decide to rejoin.
Happy to actively support Black Lives Matter because all lives do matter even black ones.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 15:46

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Had a look at that Black Circle link, their "Budget choice £54.23 c/w Michelin from £110, Fuel Efficiency rating E (not sure what that means) c/w Michelin C, in all other ratings they are identical......

BUT how big a load for a car would five such tyres be? Any idea? I am thinking about getting some before Christmas and bringing them out or conversely finding a way to get them shipped out here.....

Cost for Michelin Agilis here, if you buy two minimum 143€ each plus.......

Based on the low mileage we do (<3,000 miles /year at present) it seems silly to buy expensive ones that will degrade in the sun as that is one thing that we do have plenty of.....

Comments welcomed please....
Pudsey_Bear and Pudsey_Bear like this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 19:30
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Wherever you buy from ask them to tell you the age that is stamped on each tyre before you buy.

The last pair I bought were only 2 months old and the seller had no issue in telling me the dates ...and given that they will probably be discarded before they run out of tread, it means I can get the full 5/6/7 years out of them (or whatever number of years I decide to keep them)

Graham
Penquin and Penquin like this.

Donít argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. óGreg King

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 19:47

My Motorhome: Rapido 7090
Personal Aire
My Conti wintercontact2s are now 6 years old with about 20,000 winter miles on them (inc 1 autumn trip to Portugal) and still have at least 4mm tread on the fronts.

I bought a pair of Goodyear Cargo Ultragrip 2 for the last 2 months ski trip. They are a bit noisier than the Vancos but have a bigger (softer?) tread and are studdable. I think they would be better than Vancos on wet grass but I don't know about the wear yet. I'm still using the more worn pair of Vancos for summer/autumn driving.

Canoe & Kayak manufacturer/retailer
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 20:54 Thread Starter

I am still running on my winter tyres (7 years old) As i dont fancy putting back the 9.5 year old summers

All tyres in good shape! Just getting twitchy about their age

i was looking at all seasons which are M+S tyres especially as most summer tyres dont have a chunky tread pattern and i do wonder if they would be useless on wet greasy grass
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 17-07-2017, 23:36

My Motorhome: Burstner A747
Hankook Vanco M+S rated

Frank
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 18-07-2017, 07:54 Thread Starter

Thanks fdhadi for your suggestion of the hankooks

I will take a look on the web at them because of the M+S rating

Though i must confess i have only ever bought European tyres in the past and have never considered Chinese or Korean manufacturers before

Aah looks like you meant to suggest Hankook Vantra RA18 tyres as the Vanco is the Conti tyre

Looked at them on the hankook website and they are M+S rated yet to my eye the tread pattern is similar to many other summer tyres and certainly not a "chunky " tread pattern That i would have assumed would be needed to handle mud etc

Last edited by trek; 18-07-2017 at 08:09. Reason: Vantra not Vanco ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page