Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Got spare wheel under my van

11K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  jiwawa 
#1 ·
I am not happy wit no having a spare wheel so got one for the van . It is coachbuilt with garage so put it in the garage .
Took up too much room and the weight of the thing behind my rear axle was doing me no payload favors Even if I was happy aft or fear axle I could not bolt spare wheel hanger to bottom of van as Chausson have brought venting through floor wheel would go.

Hanger bought I set about putting it as far forward as it would go. Not much choice as only one position it would fit , just behind centro line between axles.

Also went through MOT with it on so tester must have been happy with it

LT Man

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
My spare wheel is also slung underneath. I have to regularly lower it and raise it as if left too long the winding mechanism tends to stick. I also carry a short length of bar so I can drag it out from under as it is wound down , otherwise it is a crawl under to get at it. Just trying to keep ahead of things in the hopefully rare event that I may have to use it.

#3 ·
Thanks for Tip
I was going to grease the wire once a year, hope that enough
Was also thinking of a wheel retrieval method as you say without going potholing under van.
Started off with a board on castors but would not work off road so now at a section of carpet but that might change yet .
Anybody got any good methods without having to carry any bulky / heavy items ?

#5 · (Edited)
Looks to me as though you have used the standard Ducato hanger assembly as the basis of your fitting!
If that is the case Fiat advise against greasing the cable as it damages the plastic components of the lifter assembly.

Should have said, neat job and nicely fitted, mechanical engineer by any chance?

#4 ·
I thought the red strap was for dragging it out when needed, but good luck pushing the damaged wheel/tyre back under again.

Unless you told the MOT tester you had fitted it, it wouldn't warrant a look at.

#6 ·
I thought the red strap was for dragging it out when needed, but good luck pushing the damaged wheel/tyre back under again.
Putting the wheel back under is fairly easy as long as you wind out enough cable. You can push the wheel part way under and then when you wind in the cable it will drag the wheel back into place.

#7 ·
Thanks John I will not grease it then , just check if it works once or poss. twice a year.

I am a joiner but coming from a ship building back ground we worked with metal and wood .

The red ratchet strap is just belt and braces as it holds the wheel in position should the hanger fail for any reason.
I never thought of using i to move the wheel if needed . problem solved thanks Kev

#8 · (Edited)
A square of corrugated plastic sheeting (Like estate Agents use for their "For Sale" boards :wink2::wink2:) is a handy bit of kit to carry in the garage. Takes up no room, weighs nothing yet has numerous uses !! and, most importantly, slides easily on grass, tarmac, gravel etc, especially if a spare wheel is sat on it !!!

Andy

#14 ·
Answer it is now 8 years old and it is so clean as I am not retired .
It has just clocked 19 K so that is why .
Mind you Ibought it two years ago with 9k on it and will put another 3500 miles on it next month
When I get back will roll it on to its roof and power wash the underside from my upstairs window again.

Pity the roof is badly scratched

Lt man

#15 ·
Hmm, now our house is sold I think I might have a source for said plastic sign, we've paid enough for it :) :)

#17 ·
Read post #8 Drew

#22 ·
Is your van fitted with Alko chassis and 16" wheels?
If it is and you are interested I have the adapter to fit between the chassis rails and a carrier for 16" wheels (different to 15" ones), for sale

One possible problem, it and I am in North West France, if that's no problem contact me via PM.

#20 ·
There is a lad on Motorhomefun who used to make spare wheel carriers to fit the chassis, Techno100.

#27 ·
A little bit of a thread resurrection but I have just bought the above wheel carrier. I think it should be a straight fit as mine is a new van?

The unit I bought off ebay has no bolts. Does anyone know what size bolts are needed for the various bits.

Also, how does the section below (pic) attach to the actual wheel. I have been told you thread it through the centre hole in the wheel but I cannot see that happening. Is there something to do at that point?

Attachments

#29 ·
A picture paints a farsand worms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.