Wheel spacers - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 29-04-2017, 20:05

My Motorhome: Carthago C - Tourer T 150
Personal Aire
Hi Richard,

As already said, don't do it. After spending a good number of years working in a ride and handling department for a sports car company, I can assure you that any alteration to the wheel spacing will have a detrimental effect on the drivability of the vehicle. The FIAT engineers will have optimised the suspension geometry to give the best compromise for ride quality and handling, and to alter this in any way could make the vehicle unsafe to drive.

Colin
Mrplodd and Mrplodd like this.

Sometimes it is better to stay silent and just let people think you are stupid, rather than open your mouth and prove that you are.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 29-04-2017, 20:32 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Carthago i144QB
I started this thread after seeing spacers advertised on the Goldschmitt website. They design and manufacture suspension upgrades for all types of motorhomes. Surely they wouldn't sell anything which was dangerous.

http://www.goldschmitt-schweiz.ch/pr...at-ducato.html

As I said at the start of this thread the Fiat wheel has an ET of 68 which means that the wheel centre sits well inside the face of the bearing hub and even if this was reduced to say ET30 the centre of the wheel would still be inside the centre of the bearing.

Where it does start loading the bearing is when ET goes negative and the centre of the wheel is then outside of the bearing centre and this would certainly start to add some additional load.

I have an air cooled 1980's Porsche which is a wide bodied Carrera which has the same steering and suspension to the original 1980's Porsche 930 turbo. They have used spacers both on the front and rear hubs to get the original narrow bodied Carrera suspension set up out to fill the wide bodied arches. The rear spacers must be about 30mm thick. Porsche then add large 4 pot calipers for good measure which have much greater stopping capabilities than the standard Carrera caliper.

I'm also looking for load rated alloy wheels for the van which have a reduced ET value as this will do the same job.

Richard
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 10:06

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Richard

You have asked for people's opinions yet you seem to have already decided what you are going to do.

It's your money to spend as you see fit BUT you do need to consider all of the factors involved. I would suggest you contact Fiat to see if the fitting of the spacers you have in mind will have an impact on your new vehicle warranty FIRST.

Andy

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 10:24

My Motorhome: 2002 Bessacarr E745.
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Many things are offered for sale which are not legal to use, als I consider country of use, the quality of the spacer, and of the modified bolts.

Your van. Your money. Your warranty. Your life except maybe others would be involved if it all goes pear shaped on the road.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 30-04-2017, 12:36 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Carthago i144QB
Hi Andy, I haven't decided that I'm going to do it, but that I had seen the Goldschmitt spacers (TUV approved) and was asking whether anyone had fitted them.

I've also come across an alloy wheel seller who's motorhome oriented.

http://www.tyresave.co.uk/15-16-inch-alloys/

The first wheel shown on the web page comes with an ET of 40 so as I am going to change the standard steel wheels to alloys when I take delivery, these will probably be ideal. Need to check whether they are TUV approved first.

Richard
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 10:24

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Many of the 'C' Class RVs in the states were built on 'cutaway' van chassis and grossly overbodied. Driving them in my opinion was a nightmare swaying about. But we never came across any wheel extensions to try and make the ride more stable. Not saying there were no spacers but obviously not a popular add-on.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page