User Tag List

6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-11-2016, 12:59 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: 2000 Autotrail Mohican on Sprinter base
Personal Aire
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Tyres

Not sure if people even still do it, but it is a PITA unless you let a garage do it, but do you rotate the wheels around the van to even out wear (I don't) and how often if you do.

Do you even know the correct procedure?

http://www.blackcircles.com/general/tyre-rotation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-11-2016, 13:17

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
I think Kev that it is a throw back to the old days where we had to get as much wear out of the tyres before we had to change them.The wear was uneven compared to the modern wheel and tyre (remember they were Cross ply).These days on most FWD the tyres wear out on the front twice as quick so not much point in messing about.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-11-2016, 13:38

I rotate mine clockwise using the spare twice a year.

Loch Sloy
This I'll Defend

I would prefer to say that I am British rather than European.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-11-2016, 14:09

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
I found that the front tyres needed replacing twice compared to the rear tyres, within the same time frame.So really what is the advantage of rotating.Except of course to get some usage out of the spare wheel.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-11-2016, 14:50

My Motorhome: Adria vision I707SG
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabby View Post
I found that the front tyres needed replacing twice compared to the rear tyres, within the same time frame.So really what is the advantage of rotating.Except of course to get some usage out of the spare wheel.

cabby
I agree, it's a throwback to the crossply days and isn't needed with modern radial tyres, as long as your steering geometry is correct and tyre pressures are checked regularly then your front tyres will wear twice as quickly as the rears,
the exception to that rule is many women (note not all) drive by touch so sidewalls can take a beating so you may want to swap nearside to offside if there is visible damage, ( obviously as long as it isn't dangerous Damage / bulges/splits or the reinforcing cords showing)
bc109 and bc109 like this.

Now reitired thank god , looking forward to flying when the weather is good or motorhoming when it´s not, just like to get away from it all now I can take it easy.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-11-2016, 15:02

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinghigh View Post
I agree, it's a throwback to the crossply days and isn't needed with modern radial tyres, as long as your steering geometry is correct and tyre pressures are checked regularly then your front tyres will wear twice as quickly as the rears,
the exception to that rule is many women (note not all) drive by touch so sidewalls can take a beating so you may want to swap nearside to offside if there is visible damage, ( obviously as long as it isn't dangerous Damage / bulges/splits or the reinforcing cords showing)
I would add that for a MH, unless it does many thousands of miles every year then the tyres will be time expired before the tread has gone.

Now to other matters; what do you fly and from where?

Geoff
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-11-2016, 15:28

My Motorhome: Adria vision I707SG
I Fly a Europa Tri gear that took me 7 years to build, i usually i fly out of Lydd or Bigginhill,
At the moment she is home having a new 8.33 radio fitted and it's annual for next year, plus a Mode s transponder,

not sure if the photo uploaded or not,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (43.3 KB, 6 views)

Now reitired thank god , looking forward to flying when the weather is good or motorhoming when it´s not, just like to get away from it all now I can take it easy.
The Following User Says Thank You to flyinghigh For This Useful Post:
nicholsong (29-11-2016)
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-11-2016, 15:49 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I do seem to recall doing a rotate about 30 years ago on a Fiesta, tyres wore out at almost the same time, very expensive so now I don't bother and replace as and when needed.

The link in the OP doesn't refer to cross plys.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-11-2016, 16:16

My Motorhome: I drive... Hymer B550 Skyline
I like the time expired note above. A fortnight ago I took my old Saab to the garage, because a front tyre had a scrubbed edge.
The folks there checked all the mechanicals and geometry in the front and declared all was well. However, three of my tyres were time expired, and only the odd one replaced earlier in the year was sound. On the ramp, it was clear to see that the outside edges of the treads were beginning to break up. No point in saving money on tyres. Buy the best and change when necessary. I was amazed at the outcome of this visit to the garage. It seems gentle driving doesn't save tyres from the knackers yard ! They get old just like us !
Anyone for replacement ?
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-11-2016, 16:19 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc109 View Post
I like the time expired note above. A fortnight ago I took my old Saab to the garage, because a front tyre had a scrubbed edge.
The folks there checked all the mechanicals and geometry in the front and declared all was well. However, three of my tyres were time expired, and only the odd one replaced earlier in the year was sound. On the ramp, it was clear to see that the outside edges of the treads were beginning to break up. No point in saving money on tyres. Buy the best and change when necessary. I was amazed at the outcome of this visit to the garage. It seems gentle driving doesn't save tyres from the knackers yard ! They get old just like us !
Anyone for replacement ?
A tugger up the road has old duvets wrapped around his tyres, no cracks in 6 years he says.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page