Winter Tyres for Christmas Markets. - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 15:11 Thread Starter

Winter Tyres for Christmas Markets.

Hi,

We're heading to the Christmas Markets in Belgium and would also like to go to Valkenburg.

I know there isn't any legislation for winter tyres but one of the campsites in Valkenburg recommended them, I just wondered how many of you did change your tyres. We're not going to head into Germany I know they do have legislation in place.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 21:25

My Motorhome: Rapido 891m
Hi, I tried winter tyres for the first time last year, and what a difference it made! Especially in the snow, fantastic,well worth the cost.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 15-11-2016, 19:40

I can second that had mine for 2 winters and they were bog standard £80 each from Savoy tyres as they were the only ones I could get at short notice right on Xmas , they put them on there fleet and they are wearing very well. I run on them all year round as the ones I replaced were the original Michellin at 9 years old.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 15-11-2016, 20:19

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Mee too.!!!
Winter tyres on all vehicles all year.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 16-11-2016, 10:34

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie10 View Post
Hi,

We're heading to the Christmas Markets in Belgium and would also like to go to Valkenburg.

I know there isn't any legislation for winter tyres but one of the campsites in Valkenburg recommended them, I just wondered how many of you did change your tyres. We're not going to head into Germany I know they do have legislation in place.

Thank you.
Debbie

I cannot find a Valkenberg in Belgium only NL, but either way I think you are unlikely to encounter much snow in the low countries before Christmas.

I also run on winter tyres all year - saves cost of buying two sets new when they are time-expired but still have tread as they were each only used for 6 months.

If your tyres are due for changeing then put on winter ones and forget. They also help on wet grass/mud.

Geoff
raynipper and raynipper like this.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 16-11-2016, 16:54

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Those that do serious mileage in the snowy parts of Europe will have two sets of wheels. One summer one winter. The likes of Aldi and Lidl are full of stands to hold the out of season ones in your garage. On MHs though (lower milage and lower speed) I would run winter tyres, and do, right though the year.

Dick
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 16-11-2016, 18:50

My Motorhome: Le Voyageur RX Platinum 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr View Post
Those that do serious mileage in the snowy parts of Europe will have two sets of wheels. One summer one winter. The likes of Aldi and Lidl are full of stands to hold the out of season ones in your garage. On MHs though (lower milage and lower speed) I would run winter tyres, and do, right though the year.

Dick
Yep. 2 sets of wheels here. Costs about € 40 to have them changed twice a year ( 6 wheels ) .

Personally, if it was just for the odd winter trip and you already have summer tyres then a set of snow socks is best. Fulfills legislation and does the job . 6 years ago it was hideously cold and icy in northern France....
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 17-11-2016, 11:19

Yes Valkenburg is in Limburg the "tail" of NL.

And if by "one" of the campsites in Valkenburg, you mean the campsite in Valkenburg that is located right over the caves, you could well need snow tyres to reach it as it is up quite a steep access road.
We have stayed there twice for the Markets and both times there has been a sprinkling of snow that made getting up (and down!!) quite tricky so we were glad we are year round winter tyre users as well.

They are obviously advising having them based on the experience of their guests.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 17-11-2016, 11:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by salomon View Post
Personally, if it was just for the odd winter trip and you already have summer tyres then a set of snow socks is best. Fulfills legislation and does the job .
Are you sure about that? Most sites appear to disagree with you.

EG
http://www.halfords.com/advice/motor...-or-snow-socks

Also the AA and the RAC.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 17-11-2016, 11:58

My Motorhome: Le Voyageur RX Platinum 2011
They are fine here in Andorra. They are fine in Germany and Italy. I cannot vouch for the whole world . And it is true that you need proper socks ( in our case, for a 10 ton truck ) . I do not think that €20 flimsey things would pass muster if stopped. The point of " obligatory winter equipment " is that you have equipment that works.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page