Camping Tyres - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 27-06-2014, 13:46 Thread Starter

Camping Tyres

My tyres have got to an age that they now need replacement. Can anyone explain what camping tyres are and the merits of changing to these tyres. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 27-06-2014, 14:07

They are the correct fitment for a motorhome, they have stiffer walls and area meant for carrying load. Van tyres can also be used but have a different ride to them.
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 27-06-2014, 14:19

If your van was supplied with camping tyres (marked - for example - as 215/70 R15 CP, the CP meaning "Camping Pneu") then it should always be replaced like for like. As above they are specially designed to cope with the van being always loaded close to its design maximum instead of white van man's favoured means of transport which is frequently empty

In any case...... Also make absolutely sure that you buy tyres with the correct load rating (e.g. 109 or 112 etc). The link below shows the max weight for each wheel (so double it for the axle)

http://www.tyresafe.org/tyre-safety/...flation-tables

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 27-06-2014, 17:15

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
For even more information try a search and you will find many more threads on this subject, fairly divided as to whether you need to have CP labelled tyres.Plus make sure that of the tyre date.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 27-06-2014, 17:41

My Motorhome: 2001 Benimar 6000sl on Ducato 2.8JTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannette
They are the correct fitment for a motorhome, they have stiffer walls and area meant for carrying load. Van tyres can also be used but have a different ride to them.

Sorry, but I don't think they are actually "the correct" fitment for a motorhome at all.

They are certainly A POSSIBLE fitment, but they are not the only possible fitment by a long way.

The same tyre make/size/load profile but without the "camping" monicker is also a perfectly possible and usually significantly less expensive fitment; as are other makes, to the same profile and load bearing index.
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 27-06-2014, 17:56

Robbins33 you have a PM

Itīs not the size of the dog in the fight, Itīs the fight in the dog!!!
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 27-06-2014, 18:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad
Sorry, but I don't think they are actually "the correct" fitment for a motorhome at all.

They are certainly A POSSIBLE fitment, but they are not the only possible fitment by a long way.

The same tyre make/size/load profile but without the "camping" monicker is also a perfectly possible and usually significantly less expensive fitment; as are other makes, to the same profile and load bearing index.
Sorry but I must disagree with that - picture this scenario. Van fitted as original with CP tyres, changed for ordinary chin long van tyres or even Michelins. Tyre has a blow out and destroys a portion of the van bodywork. Insurance assessor inspects and sees a non CP tyre. You risk having a claim rejected.

Clearly you know better than that but I certainly would not take the risk and if anyone wants to do so, it is their lookout..
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 27-06-2014, 18:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxdeluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad

Sorry but I must disagree with that - picture this scenario. Van fitted as original with CP tyres, changed for ordinary chin long van tyres or even Michelins. Tyre has a blow out and destroys a portion of the van bodywork. Insurance assessor inspects and sees a non CP tyre. You risk having a claim rejected.

Clearly you know better than that but I certainly would not take the risk and if anyone wants to do so, it is their lookout..
As long as the tyre is the correct size, speed index and load index there would be no grounds for rejecting the claim. Manufactures often supply identical speced vehicles with different tyre makes to suit their supply chain.

A tyre of a load index is designed to operate for 100% of the time at the maximum load allowed.
The Following User Says Thank You to selstrom For This Useful Post:
macstan (12-02-2016)
post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 27-06-2014, 19:41 Thread Starter

As always, many thanks to all for the replies.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 27-06-2014, 19:56

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
Now we will all wait to hear what you had fitted, you do know this.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page