Camping Tyres - Page 5 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 16:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNomad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannette
They are the correct fitment for a motorhome, they have stiffer walls and area meant for carrying load. Van tyres can also be used but have a different ride to them.

Sorry, but I don't think they are actually "the correct" fitment for a motorhome at all.

They are certainly A POSSIBLE fitment, but they are not the only possible fitment by a long way.

The same tyre make/size/load profile but without the "camping" monicker is also a perfectly possible and usually significantly less expensive fitment; as are other makes, to the same profile and load bearing index.
I totally agree there is far to much hype regarding camper van tyres plus there is no REAL evidence to support camper tyre Paranoia...I have just come back from a Dethleffs/ Hymer/ Auto trail Dealer and the majority of all the NEW vans there were shod with Continental Van tyre's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 16:33

My Motorhome: Frankia I740GD
Michellin tyres

Hi, Our new Frankia was delivered with 225 x 75 x 16 Agilis tyres with a load rating of 116. I have discovered that these are operating at maximum load.

Also discovered the Conti Vanco same size have a load rating of 121 - guess which I will be choosing in future???

All the best from Isny - S germany

Bill & Patsy
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 16:37

My Dentist likes me to use camping tyres at maximum pressure.

It pays for his cruise.

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 18:56

My Motorhome: Sold it.
Personal Aire
For PF13 because he asked.

black round very cheap ones.

cabby

Don't be silly all the time ask your question.
post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 19:57

Hi cheshiregordon

Our van came with Michelin Agilis 81 not the XC which is the camping I believe, it is now on Continental fourseasons as they have a better load rating than the camper tyre and mountain/snowflake is better than M+S in my opinion, and it's what the factory fit.

Martin
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 21:40

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanFlair
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glandwr
Reason for Camping Tyres? Simple, white van tyres turn almost every day of the year. Some campers will turn on maybe a handful of times a year. Camping tyres have reinforcement to stop them going oval after lengthy stands.

If you use your van regularly either will do. Also just looked into my van's (Hymer) manual. Strict specifications for the tyres but no mention of brand or if they have to be campers

Dick
I have never seen or heard any complaint about tyres going oval, don't know if anybody else has.

Martin

It’s a well known phenomenon with cross ply tyre and as such affects classic car owners who put their vehicles on blocks for the winter and as the link illustrates it can also happen with radials if they are left standing for 4 months or more, especially with 4/5/6 tonnes on them..

The manufacturer quoted does say though that radials can recover after a “long” journey if the tyre gets hot.

Now chemicals engineers and tyre designers designing a tyre for campers would have the fact that many, if not most of them, will stand for at least 4 months of the year without moving pretty high up in their design specification (if only to avoid warranty claims) and those designing van tyres pretty low on their design specification. They would not be doing their job if they didn't.

I had campers on my van when I had it. 2 years ago I changed to M&S non campers. Like stanner I would definitely not go back. A much smoother, quieter and pleasanter ride. OK there is very slightly more wallow but I consider that a price worth paying. Especially considering the 15% that has been said is the premium charged for campers. Understandable really when you consider the very small economies of scale that they would get compared to van tyres.

Thread on flat spots here

Dick
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 21:44

ok so can someone explain then why if i fit commercial tyres which i have ,the pressure i have in is 58 psi all round,which seems to be the best pressure for comfort and ride and recommended by the tyre dealer , yet if i fit camper tyres they need or have a maximum pressure of around 80 psi, which must be like riding on solid tyres, inddeed when i previously had campers i ahd to lower the pressure to around 68 to get a decent ride.

John
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 21:50

To have less wall distortion when standing so as to avoid flat spots. Just a guess I don't know but in the absence of another reason I'll start the bidding with that one

Dick
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 22:23

Hi All
sorry to jump in on this thread but i have campers on my van which is just over 3 years old.
the tyres have covered about 19000 miles looking closely at them in the sunlight i noticed small like finger bulges on the side walls.
should i be worried??
thanks
Tissy
post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 22:41

I would say get expert advice Tissy. Do you have a garage you trust?

Dick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page