Looking for any McLouis owners, are there any out there? - Page 4 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 21-02-2013, 14:38

Seems not many Tandy's around.

We bought our 2005 garaged version 2 yrs ago. Habitation service last week, 100% damp through 2 of the rear windows and lower portions of both rear corners.

quotes of >£3000 to repair so I am now undertaking the project myself.

All the furniture behind the bathroom/shower is out.

Floors up
tonights job is to start removing all the sodden ply, foam and battoning.

apart from that and needing to replace the main battery we're very pleased with the van as there are only two of us we don't need to set up the second bed!

Garage is ideal for the bikes we've managed 1 tandem and 3 solos in there plus all the usual camping gear (BBQ, Chairs, table, wind break)

might go for air ride depending on cost of the refurbishment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 21-02-2013, 14:49

Just a tip for any Mclouis owners who want/need spares.
Decuyper motorhomes in Poperinge (near Ypres in Belgium) are a large McLouis dealer and can get most spares much quicker than the remaining spares dealers in England - McLouis are no longer sold new here (SFAIK).

Poperinge is less than an hour from the ferries.

http://www.decuyper.com/
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 23-02-2013, 18:30

Hi.

I'm hoping to buy a 432 Mclouis tomorrow - oddly, there were 2 identical MHs in my local areas, but the dealer did a better deal than the private sale - so I'm going tomorrow to take a test drive before buying.

Wish me luck!

post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 27-02-2013, 23:48

Hi to one and all. I must confess to not having done a review or report of this kind before so bear (is that the correct bear or should it be bare ?)with me and I will begin...
we've just bought a Lagan 410, just like the one that we had 5 years ago before we moved up as we thought, 5 years on and we just bought, unknowingly, our own van back 8000 miles since we sold it.
Its just as good as when we sold it and can't wait to be 'on the road again' after we make a few improvements.
This van does exactly what we want, no frills but everything works first time and it has lots of open-ness for a small van, all the electrics are foolproof, both the heater and the water heater are easy to operate and they work!! In fact everything is easy to operate and indeed everything still works, the van is a 2004 with 17000 miles on.
Comfort is good especially for two people, the foam is still firm and the overhead bed is brilliant. As regards fuel economy, well it manages approx 25 mpg towing a small trailer with an old classic bike on the back, driven at a reasonable speed most of the the time with the occasional push (if you can call it that) of 65-70ish, Without the trailer it doesn't make much difference and manages 27.5.
The cooker is adequate with 3 rings and a grill and the fridge is on the small side but it's fine for us. Storage space is good inside and the storage compartment outside is massive.
The overhead bed is also huge but we need a better ladder with wider rungs, it is really comfortable though with good headroom and lots of room
Toilet/shower room is great although only myself has used the shower but I think it works well.
Wardrobe space is good and because the heater vent is in there then it serves as a good drying area for wet jackets etc.
It is such a doddle to drive that I'm trying to get Brenda to drive it but it's proving to be a problem just now.... I will not be beaten on this, I realise that I'm a mere man person and as such a sub human but I will get her to drive this M/home or my name is not Abraham Lincoln.. So there.
Also being only 18 feet long (give or take a few inches) we can park up in a normal bay, just watch out for the height barriers.. seems to be an awful lot more room in this van than the compass thingy that was longer, hmm, maybe it's one of those optical thingymajigs.
(another lager is going down nicely here, but I digress..)
This van is listed as a 5 berth but no way on earth is this suitable for 5 people and i don't care how friendly they are, even 2 adults and 2 kids would be a struggle in my humble opinion but everone has different opinions so take yer pick. For me and my much better half this van is perfick, she can play on her ipad thingy and I can read my kindle thingy and we can all live happily ever after, ( or until the gas runs out).
To sum up... yes we've gone full circle including the canal barge that eats time and money and now we've decided that simple and small is best for us.
(big was never an option for me anyway but I always said that it was quality.. not quantity that counts)
Apologies for going on but I've started so i wanted to finish, hope this is of some interest to someone.
Cliff
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 28-02-2013, 08:26

Just to stir up a bit of controversy I will repeat what we were told by a couple of dealers, one whom we know personally and is very honest, that McLouis campers were cheaply constructed; so we stayed away from them.

If you have questions about touring, living, driving, etc in Italy message me.
www.johnandluisa.blogspot.com
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 28-02-2013, 09:46

We have a SEA Mobilvetta New Life 1 which is basically a re-branded McLouis parts bin special.

The electrics control panel is even branded McLouis as is the electric step.

It is without doubt an entry level motorhome. The cabinets/walls are made of much lighter construction that the better brands and the seats/bed foam are just basic foam slabs in a nice fabric with no shaping.

I have to say though that it is very well equipped considering it is entry level. and has been great for the 3 years we have owned it.

It suits us really well as there are only two of us and handles being invaded by nieces and nephews perfectly well.

I would definitely recommend them to others who want to get motor-homing but don't want to spend the fortunes that can be spent. Or those who want a newer van for the same money as an older "better" brand.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 28-02-2013, 11:30

I don't mean to run down the brand, because I never owned one, but when we went camper shopping we managed to find our Hymer of the same year for slightly less that was being asked for an equivalent McLouis. Ours did not have much in the way of accessories, no roll out awing or sat antenna for example. I think the McLouis of that year is better looking ours looks a bit dated, but otherwise the interior in spite of a lot of use over it's life of now around 13 years looks nearly new. It has needed bits of small repairs but nothing anyone might do.

If you have questions about touring, living, driving, etc in Italy message me.
www.johnandluisa.blogspot.com
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 24-04-2017, 16:33

My Motorhome: I drive...
I've just joined after buying a 2004 Lagan 410 and after my ancient old Eriba/Hymer, if feels a bit lightweight; however, I have put a thousand or so miles on it and it is well screwed together, the 2.0 JTD engine is a good compromise between power and economy, whilst the lack of electric windows, central locking and all the other nice to haves are a godsend, as they become very costly to repair when they go wrong.

We have had a good few nights away so far and the 'van performed faultlessly in camping mode and the overcab bed was more comfortable than we could ever imagine. The other lower down berths will not be used for anything other than seating, as there is only the two of us.

The wet room is palatial in comparison to the old Eriba/Hymer and the lack of oven is not an issue, as we don't cook inside ever and the grill will rarely get a look in too. I agree with the comments about the tiny fridge, as there is little room for beer and wine.

On the to-do list are, a bike rack, more 12v sockets inside, fit a reversing camera, fit an awning rail with outside light and get some speakers installed as the base cab was not prewired for them - I cannot believe that this was an option in 2004!!!!!!

J.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 19-02-2020, 12:24

My Motorhome: I drive...
I have a mclouis4berth moterhome and the electrical control panel is malfunctioning and need a replacement any ideas please. Jim
post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 20-02-2020, 13:55

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Flactem, welcome to the forum.

You might be better to start a new thread with a more descriptive title.

And adding a pic would be helpful for diagnosis.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page