Dometic/electrolux RM6505 fridge freezer - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By tugboat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-08-2011, 20:42 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Steveboy Send a message via MSN to Steveboy Send a message via Yahoo to Steveboy
Dometic/electrolux RM6505 fridge freezer

Dometic/electrolux RM6505 fridge freezer
Hi All.
Have the above fridge fitted in a Rapido 972 and on gas and 12v works fine. Mains is no go. Have checked fuses, ok, and have checked supply is reaching fridge. that is ok too.

Does this Mean a mains heating element change? Is that something a competent 'do it yourselfer' can do or is it a trade job?

If a trade job anybody got any idea on costs?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-08-2011, 22:36

My Motorhome: Autotrail Mohawk
Personal Aire
New element will around £25 + around £50 labour. If you are confident with electics the should be able to do it yourself. Access from outside of the van - remove lower fridge vent cover.
Worth checking 230V is reaching the element first though.

Trevor

Not all who wander are lost.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 14-08-2011, 22:42

Please look at my earlier post with a similar problem . maybe you have a problem with the heater element but consider my solution (zero cost !) before you proceed to spend unnecessary money.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-08-2011, 12:25 Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to Steveboy Send a message via MSN to Steveboy Send a message via Yahoo to Steveboy
Trevorf - thanks - that is more cheerful than i was expecting - I had the £ signs going like a slot machine in front of my eyes. Any way i can access exploded diagrams of fridge unit so i can assess better what and where to delve. AH! lightbulb moment....would such diagrams be in the Haynes caravan/motorhome books/manuals?

Bunglas - thanks and I have searched your prev posts and come up with 'nut on a wheel' - Cant quite make head nor tail of it but maybe thats me not accessing the right thread. I'll have another look as I am at wk at the moment and hiding from the bosss ...lol.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-08-2011, 13:29 Thread Starter

Hi again Bunglas .... found your thread....yes..tried that one ...switching on and off several times with gas off...no joy...the little fridgy electonic brain keeps saying "i want gas". Guess it can only be that little fridgy electronic brain, quite a likeable but simple soul really ... cannot find its mains electic blanket cos its duf..kaput...et etc. Ho hum! another task and another credit card nervous twitch eh!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Steveboy For This Useful Post:
daveil (07-07-2019)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 13-06-2019, 12:54

My Motorhome: I drive...
RM6505 fridge freezer problem

I have similar problem with mine same model. Execpt it does not work on any of the 3 modes! Had someone look at it and they reckon the control unit would be the problem, trouble is that its quite old and parts could not be found so it needs to be replaced.
Looking at replacement for mine its now a RMD 10.5T which is over £2000 a bit expensive to say the least!
I found cheaper models which were same height and width but either 30mm less depth or 35mm more in depth. I'm told by the repair chap that thats no good as it has to be an exact fit for the purpose of packing to keep it sealed from gas fumes entering van?
Can anyone tell me if this is right? I'm thinking if the height and width are exactly the same , a bit of more or less depth can be sorted, but maybe I'm missing something?
Any advice greatly appreciated thanks
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-06-2019, 18:40

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
I'm just giving your post a bit of a bump Kent. I'm inclined to agree with you on the question of dimensions but someone else will *know*!

Jean
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-06-2019, 20:20

My Motorhome: Bessacarr E725
The repair man is right, but that doesn't mean you can't do it.

Firstly, you would have to go for the fridge that has less depth, presumably the interior would be smaller also, so less room for goodies.

The rear of the fridge needs to be pushed against the carcase of the furniture, and against a strip of closed cell foam all around the aperture so that CO from the burning gas cannot reach the inside of the van.

Option 1.
You push the smaller fridge right back so that it seats as above (checked through the external vent covers) and ensure the door opens OK. Screw fridge in place so it can't move.

Option 2.
You would need to push the fridge back so that the front of it is in the correct position, then via the removed vent panels measure the gap between the fridge and the wooden carcase. Make up spacers and fix in place to fill the gap, and add a strip of closed cell foam all round for the fridge to push onto. Screw fridge in place.

No reason it should be beyond a competent DIYer, it would be a fiddley job, and be careful to check for any leaks after connecting the gas again.
eurajohn likes this.

I'm daft and proud of it.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 19-06-2019, 21:30

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiwawa View Post
but someone else will *know*!
Told you!

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page