Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Motorhome Valeting/Detailing

14K views 68 replies 20 participants last post by  Jezport 
#1 ·
I have been considering setting up a car valeting business, which then got me thinking. Does anyone specialize in valeting motorhomes? I suppose quite a few people would rather pay to have their MH cleaned and detailed if they know it would be done well (especially the roof).

I am interested in getting some feedback from members to see if it is worth me looking into it.

So what do you think?

#2 ·
Jezport said:
I have been considering setting up a car valeting business, which then got me thinking. Does anyone specialize in valeting motorhomes? I suppose quite a few people would rather pay to have their MH cleaned and detailed if they know it would be done well (especially the roof).
I am interested in getting some feedback from members to see if it is worth me looking into it.
So what do you think?
Very time consuming if you want to do it properly, we have three valeters so we should know.

Other problem is the geographical location of the vehicles, widespread and very few compared to car and vans.

Limited market in my view.

Peter

#4 ·
One step up from a car wash......external wash and polish to a high standard......should do OK?

The only doubt I have is the distance between MHs and the even greater distance between the small minority that would pay for such a service.

Presumably it would be a mobile service?

Good Luck :wink:

#5 ·
JohnsCrossMotorHomes said:
Jezport said:
So what do you think?
Very time consuming if you want to do it properly, we have three valeters so we should know.

Other problem is the geographical location of the vehicles, widespread and very few compared to car and vans.

Limited market in my view.

Peter
Thanks Peter,

I had considered all the things you have pointed out. I would also be doing cars, but if there is sufficient interest from MH owners I would like to look into the possibilities of offering a good quality service to them.

As an owner I know what should and should not be done to a MH, which many regular valeters would not know.

Obviosly I cannot offer a nationwide service, unless I can get a few vans that need valeting in close proximity of each other.

#6 ·
EJB said:
One step up from a car wash......external wash and polish to a high standard......should do OK?

The only doubt I have is the distance between MHs and the even greater distance between the small minority that would pay for such a service.

Presumably it would be a mobile service?

Good Luck :wink:
Yes it would be mobile. Have motorhome and can travel :D

#8 ·
It would be great to pay someone who enjoyed clambering about on the roof of our MH. My husband doesn't mind doing the sides and lower areas but he is not so keen on the roof, and you won't catch me up there for all the tea in China!!

Unfortunately I have a good view of the roof of ours from the upper stories of the house so am well aware how well it has (or has not) been cleaned! Devon's not far from Leeds though - you could nip over this afternoon and do it for us could you?

I think it is a fabulous idea, although I think the logistics of covering such a disperate customer base may make it difficult for you. Good luck, and please let me know if you do start up such a business.

#10 ·
You could set up a rally Jezport, Motorhome Wash Rally or come to all the rallies we have listed with your gear, I am sure you would get at least a few requiring your services me included I hate washing the thing:lol:

Jacquie

#11 ·
MrsW said:
It would be great to pay someone who enjoyed clambering about on the roof of our MH. My husband doesn't mind doing the sides and lower areas but he is not so keen on the roof, and you won't catch me up there for all the tea in China!!

Unfortunately I have a good view of the roof of ours from the upper stories of the house so am well aware how well it has (or has not) been cleaned! Devon's not far from Leeds though - you could nip over this afternoon and do it for us could you?

I think it is a fabulous idea, although I think the logistics of covering such a diperate customer base may make it difficult for you. Good luck, and please let me know if you do start up such a business.
I am in Leeds, West Yorkshire.
I am a perfectionist, and have had loads of practice detailing my Cougar which I attend car show in. So believe me If I say I will clean the roof it will be clean :D

#12 ·
Count me in :lol:

Our local car valetter (is there such a profession?) does the outside of ours once a year before we go on hols. He is thorough, but I always worry he does not remember what I tell him about pressure hoses etc.

We also get ours done at the dealers when it goes in for its habitation check.

Not sure I would want our inside done as we keep it in fairly good condition as we use it all year. Perhaps someone who is a seasonal user would like the service?

As with most things if the marketing is accurate then it may well be a goer.

All the best with your idea.

Sue

#14 ·
We'd use it ! Brilliant idea and not one that we've seen so you're in a niche market.

Shame you're in Yorkshire though. Now if you set up in Kent, shortly after / before people came back on the ferry or tunnel you'd have a captive audience.

Now if the CC /C&CC were not so totally anti-commercial interests on site it would be the perfect service to have on a site somewhere central. Perhaps a CS/ CL would let you use them as a base ?

G

#16 ·
androidGB said:
I'd certainly go for it.

The idea of attending some of the rallies is a good idea, or get a list of interested punters and try and group them together.

Andrew
I did think of that, I will give it a bit more thought. As I have a full time job at the moment I can only do a few rallies.

#17 ·
hi jezport
im a mechanic and i service a few m/homes along with cars and motorcycles when work has been slow now more than ever i have myself valeted m/home to a very good degree but this takes alot of time expect to take an avg of 8 hrs work to do a real good job but hey its work and if some people are prepared to pay and understand the work you have done then i say very good luck to you,
also if you pm me i can if you haven't already put you onto some people for good ummm what shal i say auto g products.
all the best in the future
vince

#18 ·
We've got no facilities to clean our van at home or on the site where we keep it and have tried several MH dealers who, bluntly, don't want our business.

Prices quoted have been from £50 upwards for a wash- no polish and no valetting inside. That would work out at about £6 an hour if you worked for 8 hours and allowed for cleaning materials. Whether this is what they charge because they don't want our business or whether this is what they charge when they do, I don't know

G

#19 ·
Grizzly said:
We've got no facilities to clean our van at home or on the site where we keep it and have tried several MH dealers who, bluntly, don't want our business.

Prices quoted have been from £50 upwards for a wash- no polish and no valetting inside. That would work out at about £6 an hour if you worked for 8 hours and allowed for cleaning materials. Whether this is what they charge because they don't want our business or whether this is what they charge when they do, I don't know

G
I think that most valeters do not really know where to start on a MH. I have done a bit of research and phoned around. I asked how long they would spend on the vehicle, if they would be using a pressure washer :evil: and a number of other things like price etc.

Most said 2 to 3 hours, most would use a pressure washer and when I asked if the roof would be cleaned most companies said they couldnt do it :roll:

So in conclusion. If I would have been looking for a good valeting company willing to do my MH to a standard that I would find acceptable I would still be looking today :!:

#20 ·
Grizzly said:

G
Just a thought. At £50 to work for 8 hours then deduct materials you would be under the legal minimum wage. So I presume they were quoting for a quick blow over with a pressure washer and a wipe down.

#21 ·
Hi

There must be hundreds of motorhomes / caravans sat on storage sites around the country. Mine is on a CASSOA registered farm site which provides access to water, etc - this may be another good area to focus. My storage site has a mobile repair van which comes around once a fortnight - seems to be used an awful lot.

if you could get in with a couple of storage site owners, you'd have access to vans whilst unused (so less time pressure) and the ability to run appointments, etc.

I'd definitely use the service !

Matt

#22 ·
Jezport said:
Just a thought. At £50 to work for 8 hours then deduct materials you would be under the legal minimum wage. So I presume they were quoting for a quick blow over with a pressure washer and a wipe down.
Quite. This was the price we'd pay to the dealer so what the bloke outside in the freezing cold doing the job would get I don't know.

G

#24 ·
Jezport said:
I already have a couple of potential customers from MHF and I have been offered a Ferrari to valet :D
Good news indeed ! I hope you made it clear to the Ferrari owner that you can't possibly make sure all the fiddly bits of engine are quite clean until you've turned it over a bit- a trip down the motorway should be enough I imagine - ?

G

#25 ·
Grizzly said:
Jezport said:
I already have a couple of potential customers from MHF and I have been offered a Ferrari to valet :D
Good news indeed ! I hope you made it clear to the Ferrari owner that you can't possibly make sure all the fiddly bits of engine are quite clean until you've turned it over a bit- a trip down the motorway should be enough I imagine - ?

G
:lol: :lol: :lol:
No but I asked if I can take photos of the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.