Allow or not allow a test drive when selling a MH - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

10Likes
  • 1 Post By anbe
  • 1 Post By raynipper
  • 3 Post By GMJ
  • 2 Post By Pudsey_Bear
  • 1 Post By Glandwr
  • 1 Post By marchie
  • 1 Post By GMJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 23-11-2021, 22:31 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Allow or not allow a test drive when selling a MH

I'm a bit worried about allowing someone to test drive the motorhome I am selling.

What have others done?

Thanks,
A
patp likes this.

Last edited by anbe; 23-11-2021 at 22:35.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-11-2021, 07:46

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Personally I would not buy without a test drive. Too easy for the seller to cover up things if not.

Ray.
patp likes this.

The FSA formerly SIB & PIA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. So they changed their name again to the FCA.
http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-11-2021, 07:52
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Make sure you see their insurance first if you do. Take a photo of it perhaps. Then accompany them and perhaps you drive it to an area where you are happy for them to try it. Then you control the distance/route etc. They shouldn't need more than a few miles to suss it out I reckon.

I did a test drive with the first MH we bought which was a private sale. The next 2 we bought from dealers and I didn't bother as all 3 were Ducato based so I figured the drive would be similar and they were under warranty if I wasn't happy.
patp, marchie and Lariliss like this.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-11-2021, 08:02

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,149 Times in 1,085 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
No driving no buying for me, not all vans drive the same and I wouldn't trust a dealer as far as I could throw one, they all say oh we can fix that if there is a problem, too late you had a chance before I drove it, on the other hand when I sell I drive it, I'll go over a mixture of roads and hills so they can see it goes okay.
patp and raynipper like this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 24-11-2021, 23:45 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...
Thanks everyone,
I was also thinking that I could drive it instead of allowing them to drive it.

I had Motorhome Depot contact me today; they offer to sell the MH for you (Advertise etc), has anyone got any views/experience with them?

Thanks
Andy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-11-2021, 00:42

My Motorhome: Hymer S740 on Sprinter 616 (2004)
I would take them for a drive if I had any doubt about their experience of driving larger vehicles. If they argue I would point out that the mechanical state of the base vehicle shouldn't be of primary concern as the real value of a MH is on the habitation side. Oh and look at your watch and say you are expecting someone else in half an hour.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Dick
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-11-2021, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by anbe View Post
Thanks everyone,
I was also thinking that I could drive it instead of allowing them to drive it.

I had Motorhome Depot contact me today; they offer to sell the MH for you (Advertise etc), has anyone got any views/experience with them?

Thanks
Andy
I have bought and sold through them, neither was a pleasant experience for us, a lot of people (not all) either can't sell or don't want to deal with buyers so they ask what you want for yours then ad £3k to that and try to sell it which of course inflates the market when they do find someone interested they will make an offer and then expect you to take the hit, they say they have cost so are not inclined to reduce their cut.

If you know your van well and are able to speak to people then sell it yourself yes it is slightly stressful but you know your van better than MD do I had to explain everything to them as they were clueless.

When looking for vans to buy inevitably some were via MD so viewing was an issue too, nattering at you while you are trying to look for faults and while driving so as to (in my opinion) divert your attention from any problems with the van, I go to look at a van not to make new friends, I want to see & find any problems so I can decide if A I want it at all and B to negotiate a better price.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-11-2021, 09:32

My Motorhome: I drive...Burstner Ixeo 590 IT Time Sovereign
Personal Aire
We bought our first m/home [online from a Dealer in Essex] at the end of April whilst we were still in lockdown, and had it delivered to us in Scotland [inbound traffic allowed, outbound trips still forbidden at that time], so the first drive was when it was taken of the low loader [see Avatar photo].

We did get a PDI via an Independent Caravan Engineer who did a scrupulous inspection and picked up minute problems, which the Dealer agreed to fix.

The m/home was low mileage, but there was not much service paperwork to show what routine work had been carried out, so that has been an unknown, and we have spent around £500 on 'making sure' by having the aircon regassed, the brake fluid replaced, Leisure and Vehicle Batteries replaced [Dealer paid for PDI, Cambelt & Water Pump change] etc.

The presence of service history would reassure me. The starting of the vehicle from cold would be another point. An independent engineer inspection would be vital. The driving position would give me enough of a feel, and I would probably be happy to sit in the passenger seat whilst the owner drove, so that I could concentrate on listening to the engine, feeling for vibrations through the dashboard etc, without having to concentrate on the driving itself, looking at the Rev Counter to get a feel for the engine at various speeds. If I was happy at that stage, I would probably ask for a short drive during this Test Drive, accompanied by the Owner, say, to the next dual carriageway exit or traffic island to feel the handling.

Any reluctance by the Owner to allow the inspection and/or drive and I would walk away. There may not be hundreds of vehicles for sale, but there is more than one ...

And if the 'someone else is arriving in 1/2 hour' message is given, my reply would be 'Don't let me stop you, then', because I would want to spend more than 1/2 hour checking the vehicle condition, the layout, imagining how it would work for us, as well as the mechanical side

Steve
Pudsey_Bear likes this.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-11-2021, 10:00

Spot on, and also when negotiating for a van you really like, if they don't come down to your offer, I always go in low, walk away, get in the car, you can always go back and discuss, sellers wanting to sell works for you, no one likes to see a buyer walk away, however, if you are the seller, and you're in no rush, think quickly before your buyer drives off.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 25-11-2021, 10:25
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
An option for selling as well would be to join a number of on line MH forums and draw up a really good ad with good photos, and place the ads on the various forums. Costs little and you may get a bite or two.
Pudsey_Bear likes this.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page