Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Motorhome ChitChat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/20-motorhome-chitchat/)
-   -   Vintage RV Adventures | RV Rebuild Project Thread (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/20-motorhome-chitchat/242669-vintage-rv-adventures-rv-rebuild-project-thread.html)

Vintage RV Adventures 19-09-2021 19:26

Vintage RV Adventures | RV Rebuild Project Thread

1 Attachment(s)
We are John & Samantha from the UK. We bought an American 5.7 litre V8 Ford RV in July 2021. Our plan is to spend the rest of 2021 and early next year rebuilding the RV to a nice condition vehicle once more. But now though the RV is in a pretty poor state, having been off the road for many years. Please do follow us on our journey to renovate the RV, we look forward to you coming along.

Today in our YouTube vlog, we show you the transformation of the over cab bedroom, from what was recently an area full of rotten wood, to what it is today, a lovely large space to sleep. This is to be the second bedroom area in the motorhome.

jiwawa 19-09-2021 21:37

It's coming on John! Looking good!

Vintage RV Adventures 19-09-2021 22:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiwawa (Post 3183235)
It's coming on John! Looking good!

Thank you very much Jean :smile2:

Pudsey_Bear 20-09-2021 09:26

Try to keep any weight low down RVs tend to roll a bit more than UK type vans.

Vintage RV Adventures 20-09-2021 09:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear (Post 3183273)
Try to keep any weight low down RVs tend to roll a bit more than UK type vans.

The gross vehicle weight is 5.6 tonnes, so I do expect this will come in under that weight when complete. We are putting in weight, but we took out a LOT of weight, such as the 4kw generator of about 100kgs and aircon unit of about 80kgs and three gas boilers.

Pudsey_Bear 20-09-2021 09:48

3 gas boilers, seems a bit OTT.

Vintage RV Adventures 25-09-2021 18:04

In today's YouTube vlog we show you progress made from the last week, which includes; the design and build of our king sized bed frame, a nice storage compartment in the toilet room, and some CLS / plywood based wall panelling completed.

jiwawa 25-09-2021 21:48

Very interesting - it's fairly coming on.

The bed is very unusual where it is - I wouldn't fancy having to traipse across the bedding to get to the rest of the van. Or alternatively, have to go out and in again. But you obviously have your reasons.

Are the windows double glazed?

Vintage RV Adventures 26-09-2021 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by jiwawa (Post 3184223)
Very interesting - it's fairly coming on.

The bed is very unusual where it is - I wouldn't fancy having to traipse across the bedding to get to the rest of the van. Or alternatively, have to go out and in again. But you obviously have your reasons.

Are the windows double glazed?

Our plan is not to walk between the cab and the living accommodation, but instead to use the side door when we stop somewhere. Other than when we are on the move, the cab seating will not be used. The main reason for the bed being built there is the large window, which is the largest window in the RV. If we do some wild camping, and pull up next to some lovely scenery such as next to a beach or river, we want to be able to walk up of a morning with a cuppa and just look directly out of that large window, which sits low.

No, the windows are not double glazed. How that will work out is something we are going to have to test and find out. I remember all those years ago I had a 1960s Bailey caravan without double glazing and that could get rather cold, especially noticeable when you want to get out of bed of a morning lol. But, being a small caravan is also suffered with internal condensation. We are hoping with the RV being so large that condensation does not form to the same sort of degree. Again, we will have to wait and see.

Thanks for the comments.

Pudsey_Bear 26-09-2021 09:56

Sadly you will get condensation on any cold surface, vapour barriers are seriously important or the wood will rot as before, all screws and nails will provide a cold bridge too, if you can stop breathing and cooking you'll be fine though, I did read on one of the self build forums when I was doing my build that if you put a film on the windows this alters the thermal properties and will help a lot, similar to the stuff kids put on their cars, just the lightest tint possible, the cab is the very worst part for condensation, a thick heavy thermal curtain is your best bet and a Karcher window vacuum.