Fridge parts or replacement fridge needed - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 37 (permalink) Old 22-04-2021, 14:37

My Motorhome: I drive...autoroller
As far as i know there are only 2 jet sizes 45 and 43 try the other in your new burner and clean the chimney well to remove all loose rust.Check your regulator is working correctly if the problem persists find a seconhad fridge that will fit

Last edited by bilbaoman; 22-04-2021 at 14:49.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 37 (permalink) Old 22-04-2021, 16:24

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,026 Times in 965 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
What are the actual symptoms Barry, could it be the fridge lights but goes out? if so could also be the Thermocouple, old selector switches have been known to have contact problems, some can be stripped and cleaned, they are a bit like the points on a car.
post #13 of 37 (permalink) Old 22-04-2021, 17:10

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Good question Kev. It's a bit odd.

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.

post #14 of 37 (permalink) Old 22-04-2021, 18:22 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
My Motorhome: A big White one.
Thanked 1,172 Times in 1,018 Posts
Personal Aire
Thanks all

If you recall last summer on our one and only short trip we had all sorts of problems with the fridge. It stank of burned gas or something and at times if the wind blew in the right direction set the Co2 alarm off. We though that maybe there was a problem with the Gaslow or the regulator so I bought a new reg and used the Calor instead. For a while it seemed better but it came back again.

The flame is not properly blue, its like flaky orange and blue. Roger on Fruitcakes knows a bit about this and he thinks its possible the Flue is knackered also and maybe burned through or blocked. What is frustrating is my motorhome fixer says the flue is not replaceable. I can only go on what people tell me. A couple of people have linked to a new burner and this one includes the jet.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOMETIC-E...item5dc7496d9b

However. Firstly I do not know if its the right one and secondly if Roger is right, this wont solve the problem.

My thoughts are. Get the replacement fridge for 225 but maybe on the condition that they swap it out and I see it working or use the van without the fridge and sell it as only working on 240v.

Im mega busy right now for a few days so frantically trying to dip in and out of threads and find a solution as time is against me on this. I Cant have it dragging on for weeks.

Appreciate the help.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #15 of 37 (permalink) Old 22-04-2021, 18:29

My Motorhome: 2007 Ace Siena
Thanked 1,026 Times in 965 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Pudsey_Bear Send a message via Yahoo to Pudsey_Bear
Good old Roger glad hes still plodding on.

As he says the chimney isn't replaceable really., too difficult, as i said bfors obrians do replacements to your dimensions, others dont even give the sizes so give them a ring, ive never heard anything bad about them they do a lot for self builders.
post #16 of 37 (permalink) Old 22-04-2021, 18:48 Thread Starter

Location: Richmond North Yorkshire or up an Alp. I like Guitar, Beer and flying around France on a Scooter
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudsey_Bear View Post
Good old Roger glad hes still plodding on.

As he says the chimney isn't replaceable really., too difficult, as i said bfors obrians do replacements to your dimensions, others dont even give the sizes so give them a ring, ive never heard anything bad about them they do a lot for self builders.
Who? Do you mean O'leary in Hull? I think Mark my motorhome bloke called them and they did not have a replacement fridge.

Follow our barmy adventures at Hank the Tanks Website or for really anarchic motorhome tomfoolery visit Motorhome Fruitcakes (Parental Guidance required)
post #17 of 37 (permalink) Old 22-04-2021, 19:32

My Motorhome: Four Winds RV
Haven't you got an endiscopic/borescope camera Baz?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Endoscope-I...s%2C196&sr=8-7

Stuff it up your pipe and see what's what.

Or down from the top.

I've had one of these for years and used it many times to see into mysterious parts. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Endoscope-I...s%2C196&sr=8-7

Brexiters. It's your sh1t now. Whatever happens nationally and internationally you own it. I wish you luck. I think you're going to need all you can get and then some. Friday 13th December 2019.
post #18 of 37 (permalink) Old 22-04-2021, 21:33 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by erneboy View Post
Haven't you got an endiscopic/borescope camera Baz?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Endoscope-I...s%2C196&sr=8-7

Stuff it up your pipe and see what's what.

Or down from the top.

I've had one of these for years and used it many times to see into mysterious parts. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Endoscope-I...s%2C196&sr=8-7

You're taking the pish now!! Its getting as bad as Fruitcakes!

post #19 of 37 (permalink) Old 22-04-2021, 21:41

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
You should be able to check the glue with a lightly weighted string from above, lowering it down gently.

You will know roughly how long the flue is - they are not massively long, if the weight goes down easily and can be seen by the burner assembly then that would suggest the flue is clear. Doing that lowering with eg a 10mm nut as the weight, it may dislodge any rust (commonly found). Use it gently.

Alan sensibly suggest a endoscope type flexible camera - well worth that sort of money as you can use it to check inside pipes and waste water tanks, go for that and enjoy using it.

My thoughts would be that the jet is partially blocked - hence the yellow flame - it is not getting enough air so you are getting incomplete combustion (remember the Bunsen Burner at School ? Yellow flame when air hole closed, blue when open)
barryd likes this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #20 of 37 (permalink) Old 22-04-2021, 22:07 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
I assumed the endoscope was a joke. You never know with him!

I should point out that I wont be doing any of this work. I am simply trying to gather as much information as possible as to whether its worth pursuing fixing this fridge or getting a replacement. As my motorhome fixer is extremely busy he doesn't seem to have the time to look for parts or second hand fridges. I think you might be right Dave that the Flue and possibly the incorrect burner may be the problem. In which case I wonder if its worth just getting a second hand fridge that we know works. Or just sell it advertised as not working on gas.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page