Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/)
-   Motorhome ChitChat (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/20-motorhome-chitchat/)
-   -   FIxing a spare tire to the garage back wall? (https://forums.motorhomefacts.com/20-motorhome-chitchat/240865-fixing-spare-tire-garage-back-wall.html)

Ingo Sundowner 03-03-2021 13:14

FIxing a spare tire to the garage back wall?
 
I'm going to buy a spare tire and hydraulic jack and want to fix it to the back wall in the garage. I don't think velcro or press studs will keep it in place. Latest thought was to use a spare tire mould out of a car? Is there anything else I can try?
Any suggestions will be gratefully received, thanks in advance

raynipper 03-03-2021 13:49

Spare tyre mould sounds a good idea Ingo.
Fixing any heavy object to a relatively flimsy wall/partition needs a firm large bit of wood spreading the load across a large area. It's amazing the strength silicone spread between two flat surfaces can give plus just a couple of screws. If you see what I mean.

Ray.

Mrplodd 03-03-2021 14:03

On the assumption that you are wanting to carry a spare wheel and tyre......
None too sure I would be happy fixing something that heavy against the rear wall! (Get someone to throw it to you to catch, you will then understand!)
In the event if a frontal impact it could become a very heavy missile indeed! Bolt it through the floor, or find a way to carry it underslung would be my advice.

If just a tYre then clearly nothing like as much weight.

Ingo Sundowner 03-03-2021 14:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by raynipper (Post 3142651)
Spare tyre mould sounds a good idea Ingo.
Fixing any heavy object to a relatively flimsy wall/partition needs a firm large bit of wood spreading the load across a large area. It's amazing the strength silicone spread between two flat surfaces can give plus just a couple of screws. If you see what I mean.

Ray.


Thanks a lot Ray, I haven't got an area for a spare wheel under or on the van. But I don;t want to live without one. I'm going to the car mechanic and see if there are any other options even though I understand what you're saying about the silicone and wall reinforcement

Ingo Sundowner 03-03-2021 14:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrplodd (Post 3142657)
On the assumption that you are wanting to carry a spare wheel and tyre......
None too sure I would be happy fixing something that heavy against the rear wall! (Get someone to throw it to you to catch, you will then understand!)
In the event if a frontal impact it could become a very heavy missile indeed! Bolt it through the floor, or find a way to carry it underslung would be my advice.

If just a tYre then clearly nothing like as much weight.


Thanks for your reply. I know that these spare wheels are heavy and yes you're right with it becoming a missile and taking our the boiler in the garage. Will have to see if there is anything else I could do. SHame that I haven't got any spare room on either top or under the van. I guess these are the drawbacks of a 6m MH.

Pat-H 03-03-2021 14:40

Don't put heavy things on the roof of a MH it will alter the centre of gravity and make the lean worse on cornering.
I'd look at getting a metal frame made that held the wheel upright but went down and across the floor. Looking to bolt through into the chassis. Ideally the wheel wants to be as far forward as possible as you want to reduce increased weight at the back.

raynipper 03-03-2021 14:45

Ever tried to get a van wheel and tyre up to the roof Pat.? You need two strong people or a crane.

Ray.

Pat-H 03-03-2021 14:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by raynipper (Post 3142677)
Ever tried to get a van wheel and tyre up to the roof Pat.? You need two strong people or a crane.

Ray.

Lay the van on its side. Then its easy. Mind it takes an age to put all the stuff back in its place inside....

Ingo Sundowner 03-03-2021 14:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pat-H (Post 3142673)
Don't put heavy things on the roof of a MH it will alter the centre of gravity and make the lean worse on cornering.
I'd look at getting a metal frame made that held the wheel upright but went down and across the floor. Looking to bolt through into the chassis. Ideally the wheel wants to be as far forward as possible as you want to reduce increased weight at the back.


Thanks for that pat. I wish my garage floor wouldn't have a step in it so I could just lie the wheel down. No doubt I'll be able to sort out something.

Pat-H 03-03-2021 15:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingo Sundowner (Post 3142685)
Thanks for that pat. I wish my garage floor wouldn't have a step in it so I could just lie the wheel down. No doubt I'll be able to sort out something.

Could you send a picture? that may help.

Maybe a metal frame that fills the step so the wheel is part on the frame and part on the upper step?

You can then still store things in the gap under the wheel inside the frame.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 00:31.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome