Cadac - opinions please - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 22-02-2021, 09:24 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Pilote Reference P716
Personal Aire
Cadac - opinions please

SWMBO has decided that we will need a Cadac when we are eventually released into the wilds after lockdown.

A brief but enlightening look at my options of getting a Cadac suitable for two people (and one dog) at a decently low price have taken my thoughts to a Cadac Safari Chef 2.

Have any of you bought one and could you give your thoughts on them and their performance ?

Any help appreciated.

patp likes this.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 22-02-2021, 09:28

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
We have one and have only really started using it last summer, it is bulky with all of it's components and not easy to light without singing hairs off hand - maybe operator error ?

Cooks well, but the cooking surfaces are a bu99er to clean, they don't fit into any sink for soaking.

We got one at a Show, would I buy another ? Possibly yes, but......

As I hope I have made clear, good piece of kit, with some reservations, why is there no hole for lighting from below ? That is probably the most major failing if one accepts it is bulky....
patp likes this.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 22-02-2021, 14:36

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
We bought a Carri Chef some years ago but after a season we realised that it was much too large for the 2 of us. Also the gridle & hotplate would only fit into very large catering size sinks. we replaced with the Safari Chef 2. Much better, ideal size for 2 & the fittings fit in most sinks and the dishwasher when we return home.
patp and KeithChesterfield like this.

Dave.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2021, 00:57

My Motorhome: Autocruise Startrail
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithChesterfield View Post
SWMBO has decided that we will need a Cadac when we are eventually released into the wilds after lockdown.

A brief but enlightening look at my options of getting a Cadac suitable for two people (and one dog) at a decently low price have taken my thoughts to a Cadac Safari Chef 2.

Have any of you bought one and could you give your thoughts on them and their performance ?

Any help appreciated.

IMHO is is the best piece of kit we have bought, it took me 4 years to convince SWMBO we should have one, and when we did she said we should have got one years ago lol

We bought the pizza stone as an extra, we were advised to sprinkle Semolina flour on it before placing the pizza on it....DONT it burns onto it and its a bugger to get off, just heat it up a few times and when used simply wipe with a damp cloth, do not wash it as it has to age.

You wont regret buying one.

Dave
Drew, patp, Penquin and 2 others like this.

Wife: Have you got a fiver ? Me: £4 ? what do you want £3 for ?
Here's £2, bring me the change !
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2021, 10:31 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Thanks for your helpful replies - it's her Birthday next month and I'll get one ordered - and use it at home if we aren't able to get away.

I still have an ongoing Eurotunnel ticket that doesn't expire until November '22 so I've plenty of time to master the Cadac before then.

Thanks again.

For Videos of the Aires we've used, Eurotunnel journeys and many other more obscure Videos have a look at - www.youtube.com/user/KeithChesterfield

For Recommended Vets in Europe have a look at - https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa=0&mid=zTPBDq9Df4L4.kSm3eLuvVb2g
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2021, 11:14

When you check out the prices online you will find that there are a number of different packages from retailers. Some include the hose & regulator some do not. Would recommend the quick release connector. Also be aware there is a low pressure & high pressure model. The low pressure is designed for use with a regulator, the high pressure for use with gas cartridges. We bought from Yorkshire Caravans, saw their post on Amazon, rang to ask a question & was offered a discount to buy direct. can recommend their service: https://www.yorkshirecaravans.com/shop/cadac-bbq
KeithChesterfield likes this.

Dave.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2021, 13:09 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devonboy View Post
When you check out the prices online you will find that there are a number of different packages from retailers. Some include the hose & regulator some do not. Would recommend the quick release connector. Also be aware there is a low pressure & high pressure model. The low pressure is designed for use with a regulator, the high pressure for use with gas cartridges. We bought from Yorkshire Caravans, saw their post on Amazon, rang to ask a question & was offered a discount to buy direct. can recommend their service: https://www.yorkshirecaravans.com/shop/cadac-bbq
Using the Cadac when we are away in the Motorhome we will use the Gaslow system, and possibly use the same system at home, so which should I order ?

I've never used a gas BBQ device before and, as it's her birthday pressie, I don't want to get the wrong Cadac.

Any help appreciated.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2021, 13:37

My Motorhome: Adria Coral Compact
Personal Aire
We bought one last year, the Chef 2, and we wouldn't want to be without it now. It was recommended by other van owning relatives. really great piece of kit. Made breakfast for 4, the full hog without problems. Cleaning? I just wash it outside of the van, let it dry and then put on very little oil with kitchen paper.
Relatives tell me that a friend of theirs makes a full Sunday dinner in it. Have to get in touch with them
We got the Autogas bottles built in with a gas connection on the outside of the van on the awning side. Brilliant. You won't be disappointed.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2021, 17:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithChesterfield View Post
Using the Cadac when we are away in the Motorhome we will use the Gaslow system, and possibly use the same system at home, so which should I order ?

I've never used a gas BBQ device before and, as it's her birthday pressie, I don't want to get the wrong Cadac.

Any help appreciated.

From their website: Cadac Safari Chef 2 LP BBQ

Cadac Safari chef 2 low presure BBQ model. Lid/wok, non-stick plates, ridged grill plan, chrome grill, hob ring for pots. Works with butane, propane or GPL gas at 30m bar. Cylinder, pipe and pressure regulator not included, sold separately.

If unsure give them a call, they were very helpful when we ordered ours.
KeithChesterfield likes this.

Dave.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 23-02-2021, 19:37

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
We had an external gas point fitted to the MH so we can plug directly into the MH GasLow system, saves having to carry another cylinder and with a decent length hose, the Cadac can be placed outside the shade of the awning.

We bought a 5m length of hose, don't be fooled by accessory shops saying 2m is legal maximum, it's not, that applies to HIGH PRESSURE hose, not LP as this is used.

We really only started using it last summer, but it now has established a guaranteed place in the MH for summer trips.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page