Hymer 584 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

21Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2021, 22:55 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer B584
Hymer 584

Well, just days after selling my Chausson 6 berth I have managed to acquire a 3 berth Hymer 584 with the Fiat Ducato 2.5 tdi engine.
Just the vehicle I have been searching for and it was right on my doorstep! The garage selling it had it on at an eye watering price and it had sat on the forecourt for the best part of 9 months. I persuaded them that it was overpriced and they made me an offer I found hard to resist.
Hopefully I'll be picking it up later in the week after it has been cleaned and valeted. Next I will need to get used to the way it drives - at least on the Isle of Man we are Covid free and allowed to go out and about with impunity so it will get some use early on.
Does anyone out there have any tips and warnings I should pay particular heed to? I would love to hear from you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled-1.jpg (150.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-2.jpg (146.2 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-5.jpg (132.4 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Untitled-9.jpg (136.8 KB, 26 views)
patp, nickkdx and dghr272 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-02-2021, 23:40

My Motorhome: Rapido 9048DF
Looks a nice van Mike, enjoy!
patp likes this.

Dave.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2021, 07:10

It looks like an updated version of our Hymer B544. I love it! We had such fun in ours. Travelled all over Europe with two dogs and lived in it for several years. Park it anywhere you like. Go up mountains and into tiny villages where you could pull over if you spotted something you wanted to investigate further. Wish we had thought of the captains chairs and table. Ours had bench seats which, with the table lowered, turned into a double bed which we never used. Drop down bed ready in seconds to climb into and packed away in seconds when the last one was up.

Have fun!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-02-2021, 08:58

We have a 2001 B584 with 2.8 engine and love it. Ours only has the low fridge inside hab door. Also we had our table modified to fold down.
patp likes this.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2021, 00:00

My Motorhome: Hymer Classic B584
I have the same year, layout and engine B584 as nickkdx, but mine's the Classic version (and LHD). It's a great layout as it gives a great amount of volume inside in a compact van. I prefer the version I have over the one (like yours) with the full height fridge cupboard, as it's a bit more open around the kitchen with that bit extra bench space too, but I'm guessing you have an oven.

Mine has the 2.8jtd engine and I got a Racechips doo dah which supposedly gives extra power and/or economy. I'm not completely sold on the benefit of it, but I did get great economy for the type of driving I did in 2019 - Quite a bit of Alps driving in amongst the 8800km I did. I tend to drive at max 90kmph or less as a lot of my driving was on non motorway roads in France on the 80kmph roads and I got 9.9 litres per 100km (28.5mpg). I wouldn't think the 2.5 would be much different.

You most likely have the Electroblock 99 (EBL99) which has limited battery (100Ah) and solar capabilities (if you connect it through the EBL). The most solar you can connect via EBL is 200 watts as it only has 10A capacity. You can also connect straight from solar controller to battery if you want more solar. The only drawback is the solar charge then doesn't display on the van controller screen (no big deal as you just get an LCD screen for the solar controller).

Read this site which has great info about this EBL:

http://www.aandncaravanservices.co.u...ektroblock.php

One of the few drawbacks to the B584 layout is limited external locker space. There is the full width flat one at the rear, but not easy to utilise it. I have a ladder in mine.

I find the drop down bed great and for extra comfort I put in Froli plastic springs which give about 50% extra sprung depth. Not quite so good for the person stuck next to the windscreen, but there's always the sofa bed if they want extra space.

The fold down table mod would be a good idea (though I've heard crazy prices for doing it). Be careful about dropping things on the table and benches as it's very easy to go through the surface of it and I'm still trying to think how to repair it. It's just a thin laminate over a honeycomb of cardboard (like a hollow core door).
patp and nickkdx like this.

Last edited by wfdTamar; 12-02-2021 at 00:23.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2021, 12:06

My Motorhome: Adria coral supreme
Our first motorhome

Ideal for two

We found the bed became a problem to access as mobility became poorer

But it was a great little van

Sandra
patp likes this.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2021, 14:19

My Motorhome: I drive...
Very nice Mike. Where do you plan on travelling to next?

Gabriel
patp likes this.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2021, 14:53 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorwast View Post
Very nice Mike. Where do you plan on travelling to next?

Gabriel
At this point in time it's all about staycation on the Isle of Man. Once herd immunity fires up we have relatives in England, everywhere from Wigan to Derby to Leicester to Cornwall, so a leisurely round trip would be on the cards. We still hanker after the Scottish 500 and then maybe further afield.
I rather think for the next few years most of out travel will be restricted to the UK, which, after all, is the most beautiful collection of countries in the world!
patp and aldra like this.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2021, 19:43 Thread Starter

Picked up the Hymer (thinking of calling it "Helga"), this afternoon and I love it already. The Fiat engine pulls well, initially a fair amount of smoke, but after a few miles that cleared, to be fair it had been sitting for nearly 9 months, last serviced in 2020.
My wife has been deciding where all her "things" need to be stored, it even leaves some room for my toothbrush and spare undies! All the plates, pots & pans, cutlery etc are safely stowed. Now reading through the paperwork to ensure I am au fait with the controls for heating (needed) hot water(also needed) cooker, fridge, hob, water etc etc.
The door on the freezer compartment flops down whenever the fridge is opened, a light in the bathroom needs replacing, a high level cupboard door will not stay up when opened, the bathroom door will not latch closed properly and there is a dinge in the table top. Other than that everything is in remarkably good order for a 1998 vehicle and I don't think there is anything in the list beyond my capabilities as a bodger.
I'll keep this updated as things get sorted and other things are discovered.
At the moment I have plugged Helga into the mains (hmm, that doesn't sound good) and have an oil filled radiator sitting to air and warm the interior. I was planning on taking her for a decent run tomorrow (no lock-down here on the Isle of Man) but we have snow forecast, so I'll wait until the morning to decide.
patp, raynipper, nickkdx and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 12-02-2021, 20:50

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
It's great to hear that excitement of a new owner! Health to enjoy!
patp likes this.

Jean

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page