Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Your dream trip.

21K views 602 replies 20 participants last post by  JanHank 
#1 ·
For many of you long distance trips are nothing new or even brave.

For me it would be both and I would need to be a lot younger, so this is the trip I will just have to dream about.

From home down to Dresden into the Czechia past Prague on to Austria and Linz back up into Germany to Passua follow the Danube to its source in the Black Forrest on to Alsace and France, Andorra and Spain.

Coming home On the west side of France head East North of Paris through Luxembourg to Frankfurt---up to Hanover and home.

In reality I may get down as far as Munich :grin2:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You should consider doing it Jean.

As you know we spent summers at Bad Sarrow and Besskow so we've done pretty much exactly that trip quite a few times, once in two days which is sill but German friends set the pace, and more often at our own pace taking a week or more. There are lots of stop offs and the scenery is lovely.

#3 ·
You should consider doing it Jean. Jan :grin2:

As you know we spent summers at Bad Sarrow and Besskow so we've done pretty much exactly that trip quite a few times, once in two days which is sill but German friends set the pace, and more often at our own pace taking a week or more. There are lots of stop offs and the scenery is lovely.
I don´t think I could on my own Alan, nobody to say "ooh look at that" to.
It wouldn´t be this year, next year that much older :frown2:
I´ll have to look for a companion who has their own van to travel with.
It´s really just a dream, seeing the sun made me think of travel so this morning I did a bit of `what iffing`

#6 ·
Nice straight lines there Jean Opppsss Jan.
You need to bend one to experience soggy Normandy.

Ray.

Reactions: patp and erneboy
#8 ·
You could easy do it Jan. Take your time, maybe six months! What I would do is rather than look for a companion for the whole trip maybe arrange along the way to meet up with fellow travellers or maybe spend a week here and there with them or people you might want to visit around Europe. Then you are free to go your own way when you have had enough of them which you inevitably will. Trips with "friends" nearly always go pear shaped IMO.

This was probably our favourite dream trip. Six months in 2012. Hank blog 2012

I think it was the best one out of the lot. They seem distant memories now and a long way off from any chance of repeating them.

I would absolutely love to help you plan a trip though. I used to love trip planning threads.

#17 ·
You could easy do it Jan. Take your time, maybe six months!

I would absolutely love to help you plan a trip though. I used to love trip planning threads.
That we can do Barry, it won't matter if the plan can't be carried out this year, it won't go stale if it's not used until next year will it.

#9 ·
Well possibly the next trip will include the hound from hell

Depending on time scale

His back legs are firming up, he eats like a horse three times a day

Loose bowels a thing of the past

So he may well live to blight another holiday

Where?

As yet we haven’t a clue, we have yet to explore Britain

Love Europe but weather permitting Britain is magnificent

But we need take into account poor mobility

But we do now have a disability badge

Sandra

#20 ·
Oh I think it will remain a dream that trip, maybe I will get to see Alan, but on a more straight forward journey.

6 months :surprise: I couldn´t leave my home for 6 months :crying:
Of course you could!

You left for quite a while when you went to stay with Heike. Dont set a time limit, just meander and see where you get to. This year will be a right off probably but next year perhaps. You could even have a month or two in England if you wanted to catch up with people.

Yep happy to plan a trip even if it dont come to fruition in the near future. I used to spend weeks planning them. I am glad I documented it all as well. Well the earlier trips. Somewhere buried in a folder on a hard drive is literally hundreds, maybe thousands of PDFs of Aires, wild spots etc we have stayed at. You should see a bit of France I reckon as you have not really done it. The Alps, Pyrenees, world is your oyster! Eventually.

#14 ·
That would be awesome Alan especially if I am on my way to visit Alan :grin2: Motley and I have also been invited to the north west of Spain.

I just wonder if it will be this year when we can move around freely, I won't be relying on it, but it never hurts to plan in your head.

I think after the amount of time I have been unable to hug anyone you'll have to put up with more than a hand shake :laugh: and so will anyone else I might meat on the way. September or October is that a good time for Spain, I assume it won't be too hot by then.

#13 ·
Fingers crossed all the ducks line up Alan.
I suspect many of us are hoping similar plans come to fruition.

Terry

#16 ·
No idea, that's why I say it's a dream for now, I honestly don't think anyone will be going anywhere much this year unfortunately.
Although people are being vaccinated now, I don't think there will be enough for some time yet to allow us to relax or get anywhere near to normality. We can all dream that doesn't cost anything, but to put it into practice too soon will probably cost lives.

So let's just forget about the down side on here and keep our dreams pure. 0:)

#22 ·
Not one for planning much to the frustration of Mrs G. An ultimate destination then the luxury of serendipity along the way with a good supply of Michelin green guides and trusty Google as travelling companions. The last trips have had Crete, Southern Maroc, Sicilly (twice) and the Pelopense as destinations. Looking to what I can do in 90 days, when things loosen up I'm thinking of circumnavigating the Baltic or even Leningrad. Anyone been there?

Reactions: erneboy and JanHank
#26 ·
Looking to what I can do in 90 days, when things loosen up I'm thinking of circumnavigating the Baltic or even Leningrad. Anyone been there?
Would you get comprehensive insurance for Russia Glandwr? I found it impossible for my trip to St Petersburg last year (that never happened) so the plan was to leave it onsite in Estonia for the 5 days.

#23 · (Edited)
I looked up serendipity to find out where it is 😊.

It’s difficult to imagine a warm day this morning at 6.30am with the temperature being -12.7°c not a breath of wind so it really doesn’t feel that bad, still 24° in the house 😄

#24 ·
Always fancied the States or Canada myself. The bits I have seen have been amazing. Driving is easy. Our daughter did the famous road trip with my mum and my brother when she was twelve or so. The dream would be to take our own fifth wheel. Did look into it a while back and it is not completely out of reach. Other than that there are loads of places in the UK we have yet to see in depth. I had a fancy a while ago to visit each county of UK. Not forgetting, of course, the draw of the winter sun in Europe.

#25 ·
Plenty of winter sun here at the moment Pat (On mainland Europe still :grin2:) three days so far of sun and clear blue sky, but I don´t think you will like the minus temperatures -12.7°C at 6 am -8.3°C right now.

#35 · (Edited)
I could do it in 2 Trips maybe, starting next year, a spring one covering the East as far as Austria and Home, then a second one directly to Bayern —— Black Forest to Switzerland then Spain in September. I still don’t think 6 months away will work for me.

#52 ·
Could plan something from Luxembourg then but I guess it depends which way you want to go. Either down the east side and across or down the west maybe taking in Brittany on the way down (its a long way across though) or just diagonally straight down to Spain, you will miss a lot of good stuff if you do that though. What time of year would you go?
This depends on when Ray would prefer I go to see him and Pru, your choice Raymond, September on my way out or on the way back in October 2022 don´t forget.

#40 ·
I will save the weeding for you Jan. Acres of freedom for Mots. I think Jean likes it here.

Ray.

Reactions: patp and JanHank
#44 ·
Reactions: patp and aldra
#45 ·
As i cannot see it being possible to visit Greece this year i think if things improve i will travel to the UK in the motorhome and after visiting family tour in the UK thought of joining and using camping and caravaning club temporary sites and cls if they are avl.Can anyone tell me if you can just turn up to the temporary sites or do you have to book

#46 ·
I’m not sure, I’d have thought as a member you could just turn up

We tend to favour the CLs, where booking or at least a phone call before hand is advisable , more so now as many are deciding to tour in Britain

If the weather holds then the British Isles is second to none in variety and natural beauty

We may join the caravan and camping club and many pubs now welcome overnight stays

We will of course ensure shadow is legal to travel

Sandra

#47 ·
Depends who is organising the THS. Some can be very strictly run while others are laisse faire. They are a fantastic way of seeing the country. There are people who spend the whole of the summer going from one to the other up and down the country. I must get my act together and try to do it one year. The sites are often in large open fields near an attraction of one sort or another.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.