Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Your dream trip.

21K views 602 replies 20 participants last post by  JanHank 
#1 ·
For many of you long distance trips are nothing new or even brave.

For me it would be both and I would need to be a lot younger, so this is the trip I will just have to dream about.

From home down to Dresden into the Czechia past Prague on to Austria and Linz back up into Germany to Passua follow the Danube to its source in the Black Forrest on to Alsace and France, Andorra and Spain.

Coming home On the west side of France head East North of Paris through Luxembourg to Frankfurt---up to Hanover and home.

In reality I may get down as far as Munich :grin2:

Attachments

See less See more
#256 ·
Yes, she is funny at times and I feel I have been there at times with some of the expressions she relates to. You can access her magazine free down the bottom.

Ray.

Reactions: JanHank
#260 ·

Attachments

#267 ·
#261 · (Edited)
Usually such markings on roads in France are always to do with cycling races, most common are the ones related to Tour de France, but not uncommon for provincial races as well.

Often found in Spain as well, particularly in the mountain areas.

Very often they will be targeted at a particular rider and or team, sometimes a slogan which will only make sense to devoted followers of the sport.

Edit, jan you should have searched for this title https://www.google.com/search?q=tour+de+france+road+markings&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwjYj9yGpunuAhUkgXMKHVjLCEkQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=tour+de+france+road+markings&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQAzoHCCMQ6gIQJzoECCMQJzoCCAA6BAgAEEM6BggAEAUQHjoGCAAQCBAeOgQIABAYOgQIABAeOgYIABAKEBhQtW9Yj_UBYKX5AWgBcAB4AoABdogBxiySAQQ2Ni4zmAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWewAQrAAQE&sclient=img&ei=4gwpYNiWDqSCzgPYlqPIBA&bih=1132&biw=1710

#262 ·
Usually such markings on roads in France are always to do with cycling races, most common are the ones related to Tour de France, but not uncommon for provincial races as well.
Often found in Spain as well, particularly in the mountain areas.
Very often they will be targeted at a particular rider and or team, sometimes a slogan which will only make sense to devoted followers of the sport.
In other words I don´t need to know what they mean?

#273 ·
26 Jun 2021 - Sun, 18 Jul this year I believe. We have always wanted to catch up with it but never quite managed it. I woudnt worry about it if you do go early. Think of it as a bonus if you come across it. Sometimes though the passes get shut anyway if there is another race going on but not for long, often just a few hours.

#274 ·
In the last video, beautiful by the way and liked your choice of music :laugh:

Are those roads wide enough for 2 vehicles to pass and are those 2 tunnels big enough for me to get through?

I´m still trying to find a suitable map.

#275 ·
The Verdon Gorges is all doable in a motorhome. The roads on google maps and on camera often appear a bit narrower than they are in real life. There are two main roads either side of the Gorges and both are perfectly fine for vans. The road where the tunnels are, and the views and the Vultures is a circular off the northern side of the Gorge. Its called the Route des Cretes. They are doable in a motorhome although for that bit we have always used the bike but Ive seen plenty of motorhomes go around. I would do it early morning and pick a bright sunny day. You are supposed to do it clockwise so everyone is going in the right direction but passing is fine. I would imagine by the time you get to there if you have Enjoyed the Pyrenees and all that lies between there and eastern Provence you will have no issues with the Gorges.

There are the lesser known lower Gorges south of the lake as well. You would want about a week or so really to enjoy the lake and the gorges. We generally stay on the Aire at St Croix village for about 7-9 days. It can get crammed and you have to time it right to get a lake view spot long ways on. Plenty of little sites dotted around also but wild camping is not generally allowed.

#277 ·
It looks very pretty here just lately, but not my kind of holiday weather any more.

Looking at it in the mountains while you´re in a nice warm valley is different.

Snow has been here for 11 days, it snowed here all last night and half of the morning, I hope it starts to go away now.

Temperature has been down to -15°c during the night sometimes and -10°c in the daytime, at the moment +3.3°c and according to the forecast the next few days are above freezing so I´ll have a nice soggy garden which means no playing outside for Motley :frown2:

I have started my French lessons with Michel Thomas, maybe this time next year I will get the hang of it, it seems once you get used to the pronunciation a lot of words are already in the English language just pronounced differently so I am learning.

Attachments

#280 ·
I have started my French lessons with Michel Thomas, maybe this time next year I will get the hang of it, it seems once you get used to the pronunciation a lot of words are already in the English language just pronounced differently so I am learning.
If you do get to France you will find pronunciation IS everything, I still struggle after too many years here, even when you do know the necessary word and think you've said it correctly, a lot of the time you'll get a shrug and blank look.
At first I thought some people were being just plain awkward but now understand they really don't associate a mispronounced word with the one you think you are saying.
As for the amount of vocabulary from English, don't hold your breath.

#281 ·
Have a party and break out the Jack Daniels. :- )

Reactions: raynipper
#290 · (Edited)
well, thanks very much for this thread! it's nice to see something other than Brexit or other stuff in the Lounge. It's certianly tweaked a few memories, and given me something to think about when we are eventually allowed to go over / under the channel.

As Jan says, difficult alone. I tried a long trip down to Spain - as far as Granada - 6 months after Viv died, but I was still in a mess, and didnlt enjoy it that much. Also did some solo touring around France while keeping a blog. That Polarsteps app / porgram looks good, and I've downloaded to my Mac and phone, will be useful for me and others to keep track of any trips. I did have a few years of trips out with Sue, she enjoyed the motorhome but isn't that mobile, and I wanted to get out & about more by bike & on foot. Other problems meant we just couldn't hack it. So back travelling on my own, and planning something for this year. I've got 3 tunnel crossings to use by the end of Jan22, unless they extend the time again!

Viv & I did various long trips, too many to mention, and with Sue I did Tuscany / Venice and in another year Croatia including Dubrovnic via island hopping. I don't really expect to do anything like those this year, but I'd always wanted to do "green spain", along the north coast, obvioulsy via western France and Basque country. June maybe, but possibly not open travel by then? If not, September. Big question would be whether I could stand my own company for 3-4 weeks?!! I have a good local friend who has been great during lockdown, but she would need quite a bit of persuading to head off in the Arto, I wouldn't want to mess that up!

#291 ·
Could your friend meet you there? Then you could do a little "trial run" to see if she enjoys it. We do have a member in the Basque Country @bilbaoman. You could do a rendezvous with him?

We winter in Spain when we are allowed. You would be most welcome to pay us a visit. We are usually to be found half way up a mountain or in a lovely valley somewhere warm.

#292 ·
I am so pleased you have joined the thread Mike, the more trips get talked about then hopefully it will make others share their thoughts, memories and plans.

This year

Just to make you all a bit envious :grin2: because I don´t have to cross a channel or go through other countries to get to Germany, I am going to go back to an original idea I had last year to carry out this year, go down to the Danube and follow it as best as I can, probably having Heike with me.

It will be a round trip from Heike, let´s say Limburg down to Ulm across to Munich, up to Regensburg and up back to Limburg, that´s a rough layout.

#294 ·
My mate has made a Rough map for my this year trip with Heike, still a lot to do on that yet though.

Howsomever, I have another idea just for myself and Mot. It´s a day trip to get there on the motorway, but of course I won´t be going motorways.

To give you an idea where the Erzgiberger is from me here is a map, it gives me alternative routes, but I won´t be taking them. We have been there twice with the caravan and stopped in transit in the van once in a huge ski carpark that was empty.

Attachments

#295 · (Edited)
Jan says I have not posted but I thought I had - maybe it was a similar thread.

My dream trip would be

Poland - Germany - Denmark - Sweden/Norway - Denmark (according to ferries) - Scotland - Ireland - France - Spain - Portugal - Spain - (ferry to ) - Italy - Greece. - Italy - Croatia - Slowenia - Hungary - Slowakia - Poland.

Maybe take in a bit of France instead of the Spain - Italy ferry - but maybe that is too much to do in 4 weeks!:laugh:

Geoff

#296 ·
Jan says I have not posted but I thought I had - maybe it was a similar thread.

My dream trip would be

Poland - Germany - Denmark - Sweden/Norway - Denmark (according to ferries) - Scotland - Ireland - France - Spain - Portugal - Spain - (ferry to ) - Italy - Greece. - Italy - Croatia - Slowenia - Hungary - Slowakia - Poland.

Maybe take in a bit of France instead - but maybe that is too much to do in 4 weeks!:laugh:

Geoff
Now, now Geoff, don´t be greedy, be a bit realistic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.