Your dream trip. - Page 40 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

406Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #391 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-04-2021, 15:01 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by patp View Post
Wet dog or not we go away whatever the weather. In fact we lived in ours with two dogs. They were just trained to wait at the door to be dried and have feet wiped. It is only water and mud anyway.
Bit restricted this year by grandparent duties and a certain bungalow we are building. Might be living in the van again
And if its pouring with rain and you are wet as well and get wetter while trying to drying them off, not my idea of a good time, they are always damp no matter how hard you rub. OK if you have an awning, we had 3 dogs to dry at one time, but we had a caravan and awning.
patp and raynipper like this.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-04-2021, 16:10

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanHank View Post
Roughly as the map shows.
Much too small to read place names and what is that river on the left and is the map N.Oriented?

Don't keep us in suspense.

Geoff
post #393 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-04-2021, 16:38 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Much too small to read place names and what is that river on the left and is the map N.Oriented?

Don't keep us in suspense.

Geoff
Click on the map Geoff then you´ll see the blue is the A2 to Bonn. Nothing here is where I am actually going, just the direction from Hannover down to Saarland I only know of one stop so far and that in a hotel car park, I contacted them some weeks ago and they emailed back to say I would be most welcome to stay in their car park in Westerwald.

I'm Jan

post #394 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-04-2021, 17:55

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Click on the map Geoff then you´ll see the blue is the A2 to Bonn. Nothing here is where I am actually going, just the direction from Hannover down to Saarland I only know of one stop so far and that in a hotel car park, I contacted them some weeks ago and they emailed back to say I would be most welcome to stay in their car park in Westerwald.
Still too small to read A2. Blue in cartography is conventionally reserved for water. What are the straight red lines?
post #395 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-04-2021, 18:29 Thread Starter

Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholsong View Post
Still too small to read A2. Blue in cartography is conventionally reserved for water. What are the straight red lines?
The A2 is off the map and the red lines are what I drew on there with my photo edit Geoff, I haven´t planned a route other than thats the direction I will go, Hannover. Westerwald, Saarland, Rhineland Pfalz, Zittau, Erzgebirge and home, stopping when I want to. If campsites are still closed I suppose the stellplatz will still be open. Shall I stay or should I go hasn´t been decided yet. it might be postponed until I have had my 2 jabs and I have no idea when that will be. Like everywhere else nothing can be taken for granted at the moment.

I'm Jan
post #396 of 422 (permalink) Old 07-04-2021, 18:51

Quote:
And if its pouring with rain and you are wet as well and get wetter while trying to drying them off, not my idea of a good time, they are always damp no matter how hard you rub. OK if you have an awning, we had 3 dogs to dry at one time, but we had a caravan and awning.
If you are already wet you cannot get any wetter Wet is wet. Just put a cover over the bench and the, dried off, dogs go on there. We didn't have them then but there are some amazing towelling coats for dogs now. No such thing as the wrong kind of weather just the wrong kind of clothing Hang the wet stuff in the shower.
GMJ likes this.
post #397 of 422 (permalink) Old 08-04-2021, 07:40
GMJ

My Motorhome: 2017 Autotrail Comanche
Personal Aire
Back to the dream trips...

We still talk about going back to the USA and hiring another RV. This time we'd do a 3 month trip across the country as we'd like to visit places like Oregon, Montana, the Dakotas etc, just to experience all that wide open beautiful countryside.

We did a 2 week RV hire a number of years ago (Florida - Georgia - SC - Alabama) which was a great experience...especially for our son who was 10 or so at the time.

Don’t argue with idiots because they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. —Greg King

post #398 of 422 (permalink) Old 08-04-2021, 07:47

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Great experiences Graham. We met up with several 'hirers' and saw the RVs were mostly base models and limited facilities. Many hirers had to buy leads and pipes as well as pay $90 (then) for a set of paper sheets.

I guess we were lucky and joining a club like Coast to Coast we benefited from some very cheap sites in some of the most amazing locations. Yes we would love to do it again but in 'style' and not roughing it.

Ray.
patp and GMJ like this.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #399 of 422 (permalink) Old 08-04-2021, 08:11

We looked at some of the RV's when we were over there. Not our cup of tea at all. Many are uninsulated because Americans tend to follow the sun. We never spotted an RV in Minnesota (land of a thousand lakes) the whole time we were there (3 months on one occasion). For some reason they often have rubber roofs?? Also, for some reason, the Americans also seem to frown upon people that use them. A bit like the travellers over here. For a country that considers itself "classless" they do have some funny attitudes.
There are several posts on here somewhere about people costing out taking their own motorhome. It was not that prohibitive. The paper work was annoying if I remember right.
post #400 of 422 (permalink) Old 08-04-2021, 08:18

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
I think rubber roofs were replaced with one piece fiberglass many years ago Pat. Again some of the cheaper models might have had aluminium sheet but that often buckled in the heat. Fleetwood and Winnebago did a whole range of very basic RV for the rental market. Cruise America and RV Rental bought thousands. Trouble was the turnaround was so tight there was no time to correct any problems.
Ex rentals could be bought for 'buttons'.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page