Long shot - Registering a motorhome in France - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 22-12-2020, 20:01 Thread Starter

Long shot - Registering a motorhome in France

We are considering registering our 4.6 t UK registerted Hymer in France, but it appears to be a completely different proposition compared to MH's up to 3.5 tonnes.

Has anyone here done this in the last 2 or 3 years, as I know quite a few regulations have changed in the last few years? If someone could explain what actually happens I'd be very gratefull.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 22-12-2020, 21:55

My Motorhome: Carthago
You are correct the regulations changed in 2018.
However if your van was previously registered as a "camping car" and you have the required documentation it can be completed via the web site
https://ants.gouv.fr/
You will have to be registered as resident here and dependant on the year will depend on the documentation required, it can be a frustrating site to use as each stage requires the correct boxes being ticked and they often don't appear to be what you need.

It is possible that you will need to get a titre isole which is an inspection for single type approval, but unlikely if you can supply the documents needed.

veevee likes this.

John

Last edited by eurajohn; 22-12-2020 at 22:06.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 22-12-2020, 22:56 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
You are correct the regulations changed in 2018.
However if your van was previously registered as a "camping car" and you have the required documentation it can be completed via the web site
https://ants.gouv.fr/
You will have to be registered as resident here and dependant on the year will depend on the documentation required, it can be a frustrating site to use as each stage requires the correct boxes being ticked and they often don't appear to be what you need.

It is possible that you will need to get a titre isole which is an inspection for single type approval, but unlikely if you can supply the documents needed.

Thank you John, that backs up some of what I've learnt and adds to it.

First we are not yet resident, applications are awaiting documents for completion, although we have applied to join French health care having obtained our S1s. Second I have also started to apply for registration of a UK registered panel van too, that is quite straightforward give or take, but as with the MH needing residency to obtain registration, or pay a registered motor dealer/garage.

What threw me today was we called our (large) French insurance agency who have insured our French car for about 10 years, they are superb. We are getting an insurance quote for the panel van no problem, but can't be quoted for a MH over 3.5 t. When asked why and if not where do we go they didn't have an answer apart from ask a MH dealer locally.

I also realise that the Controle Technique is different for standard and heavier MHs, that the heavier ones have other aspects tested too such as the gas and electrical power systems.

As anything 3.5+ t is starting to sound more complex than a 3.5 t MH I wondered if anyone reading this forum had actually been through the whole sequence for a heavier one.

As we all know we have just 90 days to register both of these vehicles before they have to leave Schengen, the few older reports I have read re 3.5+ t MH registration have taken 6 months or more to get to completion.

We are in France permanently as of now so having our vehicles out of Schengen would be a pain, but as said that when this large very efficient insurance agency said sorry, can't insure your MH with us it started to make me think is the complexity worth it.

The MH is 2006, Hymer Mercedes in superb condition with proven only 19,000 miles from new, we are intending to ship it to the US at the end of next year but registering in France first could end up being very complicated, very loath to let it go though.

For us it's just one of the challenges that many of us face at the moment with two major crisis playing out, if this is the worst we are doing better than many.

Thanks again

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-12-2020, 07:34

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
It is not easy but proof of residence is required, although not a Carte de Sejour, yet. If you apply before January 1st you are in the EU, after that not. The proof required of residence is a services bill or attestation from EDF - downloadable from their site for your account.

You need the HGV CT first, proof of original purchase by you, proof of import from local tax office and can then start, but insurance is harder as over 3.5t is not covered by most insurers. Ask in a Camping Car shop as they often have links.

Good luck, but start now with the official I,port papers then the CT even if at present you are still using Vritish insurance - not possible once French registered, but the registration process does take time....

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-12-2020, 07:48

My Motorhome: Carthago
I completed registration for an over 3500 Kg. imported from Germany last September.

My insurance company Allianz covered with no problems, back when we first came over here (2007) we found MAF insured our poids lourdes Euramobil whilst still on English registration, but only on condition the French registration was in progress.

The only real complication I encountered with the latest one was the need for the attestation to be in French rather than the original German one, all other documents were accepted in German.

When all required documentation is in place the registration will be swift.

Penquin likes this.

John
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-12-2020, 09:13

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veevee View Post
Thank you John, that backs up some of what I've learnt and adds to it.

First we are not yet resident, applications are awaiting documents for completion, although we have applied to join French health care having obtained our S1s. Second I have also started to apply for registration of a UK registered panel van too, that is quite straightforward give or take, but as with the MH needing residency to obtain registration, or pay a registered motor dealer/garage.

What threw me today was we called our (large) French insurance agency who have insured our French car for about 10 years, they are superb. We are getting an insurance quote for the panel van no problem, but can't be quoted for a MH over 3.5 t. When asked why and if not where do we go they didn't have an answer apart from ask a MH dealer locally.

I also realise that the Controle Technique is different for standard and heavier MHs, that the heavier ones have other aspects tested too such as the gas and electrical power systems.

As anything 3.5+ t is starting to sound more complex than a 3.5 t MH I wondered if anyone reading this forum had actually been through the whole sequence for a heavier one.

As we all know we have just 90 days to register both of these vehicles before they have to leave Schengen, the few older reports I have read re 3.5+ t MH registration have taken 6 months or more to get to completion.

We are in France permanently as of now so having our vehicles out of Schengen would be a pain, but as said that when this large very efficient insurance agency said sorry, can't insure your MH with us it started to make me think is the complexity worth it.

The MH is 2006, Hymer Mercedes in superb condition with proven only 19,000 miles from new, we are intending to ship it to the US at the end of next year but registering in France first could end up being very complicated, very loath to let it go though.

For us it's just one of the challenges that many of us face at the moment with two major crisis playing out, if this is the worst we are doing better than many.

Thanks again

Veevee

Obviously most of your post relates to France but I am interested in your statement that a vehicle must leave Schengen if it has not been re-registered within 90 days.

I know the 90 in 180 days rule for persons and I know of individual countries' rules of time limits for re-registration vehicles, for example in Poland the period for re-registration has recently been extended to 180 days because of Covid.

I was not aware of a 90 day rule applying to vehicles and Schengen. Can you please provide a source for this as it would impact on me at the moment.

Thanks in advance.

Geoff
The Following User Says Thank You to nicholsong For This Useful Post:
Penquin (23-12-2020)
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-12-2020, 12:44 Thread Starter

Geoff

I'll get back to you asap but may be 3 or 4 days. I have read this regulation that was always in force but never applied anywhere in the EU, until now. There appears to be a general tightening of border regulations. Soon as I find an official regulation I'll let you know.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-12-2020, 13:01 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
I completed registration for an over 3500 Kg. imported from Germany last September.

My insurance company Allianz covered with no problems, back when we first came over here (2007) we found MAF insured our poids lourdes Euramobil whilst still on English registration, but only on condition the French registration was in progress.

The only real complication I encountered with the latest one was the need for the attestation to be in French rather than the original German one, all other documents were accepted in German.

When all required documentation is in place the registration will be swift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penquin View Post
It is not easy but proof of residence is required, although not a Carte de Sejour, yet. If you apply before January 1st you are in the EU, after that not. The proof required of residence is a services bill or attestation from EDF - downloadable from their site for your account.

You need the HGV CT first, proof of original purchase by you, proof of import from local tax office and can then start, but insurance is harder as over 3.5t is not covered by most insurers. Ask in a Camping Car shop as they often have links.

Good luck, but start now with the official I,port papers then the CT even if at present you are still using Vritish insurance - not possible once French registered, but the registration process does take time....

Again thanks for good informaion, I'll take it step by step but would like to come back on some details in both of your posts.

Penquin. I have read that for residency we have to have proof of living here before 1 January 2021 but in France we have until 30 June 2021 to make our residency applications, other EU countries allow longer untill 31 December 2021. It appears as though the critical part is proof of living in France has to be previous to the end of Transition.

We have a couple of other things going on along side this currently so chasing our tails a little. This morning we decided to delay our motorhome trip to the USA for a year as some of the requirements for that are tied into completing French documentation in a timely manner, and that can't be guarateed. That will also allow more time to be spent on settling officially in France in place of the more exciting US adventure research.

Thanks
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-12-2020, 13:13

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Yes, you need proof of residency before December 31 but EDF attestation and copy of old bill should suffice.

Reminder also about driving licences as UK valid only until end of June for those resident in France I believe. Swapping should be fairly easy, I am waiting for mine to come back now.......

The whole thing is a mish-mash and it is doubtful if there are any really clear guides - even the Gendarmes were unaware of the official English translation of the attestation and have tried to reject and fine people - if that happens the French Government advice is to politely show the Gendarme the official French gouv.fr site - fairly easy if you have a phone with good internet access at the time.... 😢🤔

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

Last edited by Penquin; 23-12-2020 at 13:16.
The Following User Says Thank You to Penquin For This Useful Post:
veevee (23-12-2020)
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 23-12-2020, 13:40

My Motorhome: Niesmann+Bischoff Arto 69GL (2003)
Quote:
Originally Posted by veevee View Post
Geoff

I'll get back to you asap but may be 3 or 4 days. I have read this regulation that was always in force but never applied anywhere in the EU, until now. There appears to be a general tightening of border regulations. Soon as I find an official regulation I'll let you know.

Thanks. I will await at your convenience.

Have a good Christmas.

Geoff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page