Motorhome Facts Forum banner

Fiat engined Hymer B584

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  wfdTamar 
#1 ·
As there are only two of us having a six berth motorhome seems almost excessive, so we're looking at changing from our Transit based Trigano Challenger for a Fiat engined Hymer B584 since it's a three berth and a lot shorter!
The trouble is I know very little about this model and wondered if anyone knew of problems and drawbacks associated with it. I have to admit I prefer the saloon layout of the Hymer, it looks like it is designed for comfortable touring where the Challenger seems more suited to driving to point "B" and sleeping, not really set up for relaxing during the evenings or daytimes. OK, the Challenger is lovely to drive and surprisingly economical so if we don't change it's not the end of the world.

#2 ·
I'm guessing your current van is Ford then?
Need a little more info on the Hymer you propose, what year is it ?
Throughout the years the engines changed a lot for Fiat.

Generally speaking the Sevel base vans are a good reliable base that the vast majority of motorhomes are built on.

#5 · (Edited)
2.5 turbo diesel ceased to be used in 2000 the most common engine after that would be the 2.8 first ones were manual injection after 2001 they were common rail.
A big facelift in 2006 saw the 2.3 multijet engine come into play, so the van you are looking at is most probably a 2.3, adequate performance for a van of the size you are looking at and easy to maintain.

There are other engines used both earlier and later than 2008 but for the van your looking at the 2.3 is most likely.

Engine accessibility is somewhat compromised by the small bonnet opening on this model.

#4 · (Edited)
Having had a short Hymer in the past (can't for the life of me recall the exact model, I think it was a B544) I can tell you that some are very marginal on the rear axle weight. (Mine had the kitchen across the rear) When the MH was totally empty there was just 50kg available before the rear axle would have been over it's plated weight. So be sure to get any prospective purchase weighed before parting with any money! That could save you a lot of grief.

I sold it!

We also found the dinette exceedingly uncomfortable, the seats were too upright

#6 ·
We had a Hymer B544 and toured all over Europe in it, even living in it for a couple of years. I agree with comments above. Ours was on a Peugeot 2,5 so can't help on the engine. Ours was excellent unless you had to do something when it was very awkward to work on.
You won't regret downsizing. There was nowhere that we couldn't go in ours. From city centre to tiny mountain village. It is the essence of motorhoming just meandering and stopping anywhere and anytime.

#7 ·
This gets better, I questioned the garage selling the Hymer about the engine size not being compatible with the year and they insisted it was all correct and even emailed me a copy of the registration document. Sadly (for them) it clearly shows the vehicle was built in 1998, not 2008 so I have asked them to amend their advert and queried the price for a 22 year old vehicle at £24k.
Hmm, I await their reply with interest.............

#9 ·
OK, pause for laughter, they have now amended the advert to reflect the actual age, however, they must be having a laugh regarding the price - they still have it on at £24k. When I spoke to them about a trade in they were kind enough to offer me the grand sum of £9,000 for my 2004 Trigano Challenger 6 berth with low mileage and in excellent condition.
I have no doubt it would have been for sale on their forecourt the next day for around £30,000, now THAT'S what I call a profit margin.
I very much doubt I will be buying anything from them in the foreseeable future, I can import one to the Isle of Man for a lot less than that and could even do a bit of touring before bringing it home and still have change in my pocket.
Back to the drawing board, I refuse to pay that much for a 22 year old vehicle with all the attendant problems that might be waiting to be discovered.

#11 ·
We have slightly different laws over here, but your point is well made patp. They have said it was an honest mistake "fat fingers on the keyboard". To be fair the entry on their farcebark page did have the correct age, but their amended website page now shows the correct age on the detail page but still the wrong age on the headline page.
In answer to jiwawa, yes I would be interested at that age, but not at that price.
The shape of the Hymer is exactly what I have been looking for, better lounge area layout. My better half is disabled, so having a comfy sitting area, with space and decent windows is important, plus a bed that doesn't need a ladder.
Do any other manufacturers make something along similar lines I wonder?

#12 ·
There are many vans available with the style of layout of the Hymer you've seen, both in A class and low profile formats.
For a good range of what's available have a look at www.mobile.de it's a German site and obviously most vans on there will be German but will at least give you some research information.
If you're going to import anyway why not from the continent.

#14 ·
Don't miss out on Laikas offerings they are owned by Hymer, not often seen for sale as they are usualy well designed, owners tend to keep them.

#15 · (Edited)
I’ve got a 2002 Hymer B584 with 2.8jtd engine. Having all the full height stuff at each end leaves a nice big interior. Though there is a variant that has a full height cupboard just inside and forward of the hab door which has the fridge in it. Often they have an oven too. I don’t like that one because it makes the kitchen feel squashed and you can’t see the door from the interior. Mine is the one that has just a bench height cupboard in that position.

The full length sofa pulls out to a king sized single bed, so is good if you want to sleep separately as I reckon two in the drop down bed could be claustrophobic for the one next to the windscreen.

Another variant has a sofa on both sides, which for a couple would be better. I’ve not found the seat with desk very useful. Would be good if you had 3 people as it’s a proper travelling and adjustable belted seat just like the front ones.

The engine is very good. Quite powerful and decent economy. Maintenance is fine, except doing the timing belt is a pain I’ve heard. I paid to get it done.

A 1998 one with 2.5 would be worth about half what they’re asking. Maybe a bit more if it’s pristine or beautifully equiped. At that age expect things to need replacing. I’ve had to do a skylight and fridge.

#16 ·
How do you get a king size single bed?

#18 · (Edited)
Here (Australia) that means one wider than a normal single, although in this case it probably equates to a normal household single bed, rather than a normal motorhome width single.

The 'how' is put the back rest cushion in once you've slid the base support out about 200mm.

What is weird is how different each country does bed sizes and names. Here the sizing goes:
Single
King Single
Double
Queen
King
Super King

#19 ·
Yes wfd, several times in the states I asked for a double room for the wife and I and got TWO DOUBLE beds in a large room.

Ray.

#20 ·
Well we know how fat they are (not that Australians are slim). Probably consider a double bed normal for one of them.

Here I reckon a Queen would be considered a standard size and a lot of people would go to King. Super King adds even more width AND some length.

I have a Queen and a quilt hog girlfriend and got a Super King quilt that nearly reached the floor. Solved that issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.