Motorhome Facts Forum banner

French Toll Tags – help please.

4K views 22 replies 9 participants last post by  Penquin 
#1 ·
Can you help me out on this one please ?

As far as I understand the Toll Tags you get to use in France are identical regardless of the height of your Motorhome.

So any Tag should lift the barrier as you approach regardless of the Motorhome height but they will charge you the appropriate price for your vehicle as Class 2 or Class 3 depending on height.

Someone on another Forum has been having problems, the first time abroad with a Tag, with the barrier sometimes lifting and sometimes remaining down and a Forum Member's reply says that there are different Tags for different Classes and that is the reason for the problem.

I don't believe that's the case and for the majority of normal Motorhomes the Tag we use covers those under 3 metres high and those over 3 metres high and charges us accordingly.

I think the person having problems either has the Tag in the wrong place, the battery is not working correctly or he isn't getting close enough to the barrier.

Any useful input about the situation appreciated.

:nerd:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I often wondered about this Keith as I couldn't see the French letting large vehicles through for the same price as cars.

Ray.

#3 ·
All tags are the same and simply identify a person's bank account and authority to debit. Vehicles are measured in the entrance and charged accordingly. If eg your satellite dish takes you over it will charge more. Pressing the buttons and announcing; "Je suis camping car classe deluxe" MAY get you a reduction, or a burst of laughter.

Ours has always been correct.

If it is not working reliably, the most common faults as you said are;

a. Not having it where the sensor can scan - we have an overcab bed and it cannot scan the tag there, so our tag is now where the old UK VED used to be displayed, it works superbly there,

b. Not approaching the barrier closely enough, or going too fast, the ping only comes when the bonnet is about 75 cm from the gate from our experience with both the car and the MH and yes, we often use the "30 kph" lane and have never had a probl.

Hope that helps, feel free to quote my post, copy and paste where needed.

#6 ·
All tags are the same and simply identify a person's bank account and authority to debit.
Thanks, that's what I thought but the Facebook forum Member seems to think otherwise.

Still, you've put my mind at rest.

:nerd:

#5 ·
We had exactly the same problem with our Fifth Wheel. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason and we came to exactly the same conclusion as the person on the other forum i.e that it was a height problem. First of all we paid up. Then we pressed the button. On one occasion we did not have to say anything the barrier just lifted. I suspect they were watching us struggle. It took the shine of the idea for us. The whole point is to be able to sail through without having to get out and press buttons etc.

#7 ·
From memory the car-type one is only issued for vehicles 3m and under and therefore may not work (well) if you are just over 3m.

I also think if you have a vehicle over 3m then there is only 1 other class of Tag which is the ones lorries use however Class 3 tolls are way more expensive than Class 2.

We have one that we got when we used to do a lot of car touring in France which worked 100% of the time with a car. When we used it with our first MH which was 3.10m it worked around 50% of the time. With the current MH which is around 3.04m it works 90% of the time. Either way a quick bit of schoolboy/pidgin French on the intercom soon sorts it ('Nous sommes dans un camping car' etc etc or some such).

The other restriction on car -type ones is weight with the max being 3500kg however we are well over that and have had no issues. I'm sure I read somewhere that they have very few weighing toll areas.

#8 ·
Sorry GMJ you are mistaken.

There is only one tag available to the public, HGV registered firms can get one for each vehicle and they actually are cheaper than the ones that we get. The requirement is to be a registered HGV company.

The one that we have can be happily used in either our car, or our MH which IS over the 3500 kg limit - it is played at 3850kg. That automatically puts it into Classe 2 UNLESS any part of it breaks the IR bean set at 3.05 m to allow for tyre pressure differences. If you break the beam and contact tgem AT THE TIME they have the ability go instantly to a visual check via CCTV that you ARE a Camping Car. They often go not bother with the visual check and simply change from Class 3 to Class 2 without any further delay.

It CANNOT be changed once you have gone through the barrier as CCTV cannot be used to verify without considerable cross referencing - which they are loath to do. So speak up at the time, or forever hold your peace......

The tag battery life seems to be around 5 years which is impressive, but they have to be returned for replacement - they simply send you a new one and a prepaid return envelope.

We used ours yesterday to pay for car parking at a hospital in Bordeaux - unusual because most hospitals have foc car parking.

#11 · (Edited)
Yes as I said...there is car one and the one that lorries use.

More info here regarding the 3m height and 3.5t weight limit...

https://www.emovis-tag.co.uk/faq/

France - Liber-t tag
As long as your vehicle is no more than 3 metres in height and less than 3.5 tonnes GVW you can use any non height restricted lane that has the Liber-t symbol illuminated. A vehicle of this size falls into the Class 2 fee structure. If your vehicle is larger than this then please contact our sister company Eurotoll.

Reactions: sennen523
#9 ·
Ah now theres a thing Dave.
Our 'new' one sent maybe three years ago includes France and Spain is still working very well. But how will we know it's needs sending back for a battery replacement before it dies?
You can bet it will fail just as we set off for three months in Portugal.

Ray.

#14 ·
Yes thanks Jean but going into my 'Espace Client' only showed my details and I could not find any battery check.
I did see it now works in Spain and Portugal if I enter my reg No. Which I have done. It also has an Italy option.

Ray.

#15 ·
Emovis claim the batteries last between 5 and 7 years depending on how much they are used.

Mine is four years old and I'll renew it next year.

Attachments

#16 ·
If anyone is contemplating buying a tag they can have a 5€ credit to their account (as do I) if I recommend you (offer just came thro today). So PM me if interested.

There's a Liber-t tag for France and a separate VIA-t tag for Spain and Portugal.

I think it's different if you actually live in France - I believe the single tag does both France and Spain (and maybe Portugal?)

#17 ·
Yes Jean. It now encompasses Portugal and Italy.
My referral commission is only €4. I did get one I think from Andy so I am €4 in credit.

Ray.

#18 ·
Wasn't me Ray!! I tried but failed, they wanted some obscure number (not sort and A/C number) So I gave up!

Reactions: raynipper
#19 ·
I'vesuccessfully contested wrong classes on my emovis tag, lifted jeep kept triggering class 2 as its also done on bonnet height.
Usually get refunds within 2 weeks.
Sadly Ive never felt the need to challenge the motorhome going through as class 1

#22 ·
#23 ·
Our tag (was ALIS but now a new company) does car parks including in hospitals eg Bordeaux where one of the hospitals charges and the tag saves having to dirt out payment, very useful.

Also valid in Spain, Portugal and Italy I believe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.