To SORN or not to SORN? - Page 2 - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-03-2020, 08:55

My Motorhome: I drive...Auto Trail Navajo
Personal Aire
But these are strange times, I can make a round trip quite easily, but I don´t honestly know how strict they are in this area.

I'm Jan
We learn something new every day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-03-2020, 09:26

Personal Aire
Well that's settled, I have just phoned the police and asked, in English if it is still permitted for me to take the Navajo for a drive and he says yes no problem, so I´m off for a drive later today.
erneboy and barryd like this.

I'm Jan
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-03-2020, 10:13

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
That would not be the answer here or in the UK. Here you would need the paper "attestation" with the specific reason ticked and there are very few reasons and lots of Gendarmes checking. In the UK you MAY be stopped by the Police and asked to explain and there are reports of c'vans and MH users being given a very negative response in some locations.....

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk

post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-03-2020, 10:21

My Motorhome: Hobby 750ELC on Ducato X244
Quote:
Originally Posted by peribro View Post
Nothing to lose by sorning - I've done it with cars and will probably now do it with the van. We'd been planning to go away in it this week but that's obviously abandoned. I think I'll take it out for a decent run in the next couple of days, then park it up again, pump the tyres up, sorn it and leave it for who knows how long. The MOT is due in May but that's now extended so I'll also forget the oil change it was due as well.
With respect, would that be classed as a non-essential journey?

Last edited by shingi; 27-03-2020 at 10:39.
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-03-2020, 11:57

My Motorhome: I drive...
Its not worth the hassle, I would rather leave things how they are, you need to keep your insurance in play anyway. Yes if you are sorn you may save some road tax, just depends how long we are on lockdown.

Life is no rehearsal.
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-03-2020, 12:08

My Motorhome: Swift Kontiki 615
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cowley View Post
Its not worth the hassle, I would rather leave things how they are, you need to keep your insurance in play anyway. Yes if you are sorn you may save some road tax, just depends how long we are on lockdown.
It does, of course only apply to FULL months, so if you SORN'ed today you would still pay for the whole of March. It makes sense therefore to do it just before the new month starts (next Wednesday). It is likely to last at least TWO months, probably more before "free" movement is restored and sites etc are reopened. So you would save potentially one quarter of the annual VED charge.

The current fee is, I believe £185, but I stand to be corrected, so that would be a saving of at least £45 for a couple of minutes work on line. I would not be ignoring that if I was in the UK at present.

Thinking of ALL the front line staff working to try to help others;Doctors, nurses, paramedics, cleaners, NA's, catering staff, support services and all others. Their work is appreciated more than you can ever realise-keep strong and safe.

Any typo that I make means the errorists win.

Remember Jo Cox and what she stood for.

Any comments above are only MY OPINION and should be read as that.

http://www.leslezards.co.uk
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-03-2020, 12:21

My Motorhome: Neismann & Bischoff Arto 66F
Personal Aire
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cowley View Post

It depends of course on how much your road tax is; my over 3.5t van is £165 a year; under 3.5t quite a lot more - and of course there's the brand new ones that have been hit with the horrible high rates (which have now since been reduced?). I'm keeping my options open; I can still use the van to go to the supermarket to give it a bit of a run. Nothing to lose on my car, zero road tax!
Penquin likes this.

[/SIZE]
As far as I know, the only motorhoming Oxford United supporter in Bognor.

I don't feed trolls!
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-03-2020, 13:17

Personal Aire
As I mentioned it on this thread I will let you know I have been on my trip, just over 60 km. not a policeman in sight and very few cars or anything else about.
I drove to the Ferry crossing at Güstebieser Loose where I haven´t been since last year when I had company, we walked a few km. along the Dam and I saw my first stork of the year, a pair in fact, not a good picture because I had to zoom in. Motley met a 15 week old Puppy, I didn´t ask what breed, but she will be big when fully grow, he was having such a lovely time I didn´t think about taking a picture silly me.

So I won´t even enquire about Sorning here.

Crowded as usual as you can see

raynipper and aldra like this.

I'm Jan
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-03-2020, 14:01 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Hymer Exsis-i 504
SORNed mine last night. My normal tax is £265.

I sent an email to my insurance (as advised) to say it was SORNed n they asked me if I wanted to keep the insurance in place. Given that they went on to say there would be no refund for any suspension it was a no-brainer to say, as I'd previously intended, that I would keep it in place.
Penquin, raynipper, aldra and 1 others like this.

Jean
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 27-03-2020, 21:44

My Motorhome: Burstner Elegance
Quote:
Originally Posted by shingi View Post
With respect, would that be classed as a non-essential journey?
Yes - very likely! Although it would be an interesting discussion - the idea of non-essential journeys is to minimise social contact I believe. If I'm driving around in circles on my own then I think I'd have a strong argument!

I'd thought about that though and worst case I was banking on getting at least some way from home before getting stopped and would then take a long route home again.

Peter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page