Black smoke issue - Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat

User Tag List

7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-03-2020, 11:21 Thread Starter

My Motorhome: Autosleeper Executive
Black smoke issue

I dont know if this is in the right place, so please move it if it isnt......Last week I was told my 1.9 diesel engine had only dropped 5 Horse power since new after a rolling road BHP test. It had dropped from 91bhp to 86bhp in 17 years and 69,670 miles. The mechanic told me it couldnt be chipped as its a 2002 model with no common rail but a simple air/fuel tweak would give me extra power.

I took it to a recognised and very well thought of diesel shop and they adjusted it to give me more power and it defo worked. I now feel the umph under my right foot and it pulls up hill a lot better. My only issue is that when I change up from 2 to 3 and 3 to 4 etc, there is a puff of black smoke (unspent fuel) that come out of the exhaust. Its just a puff, not a cloud, Is this acceptable or will it damage anything.

Another mechanic told me that unspent fuel cant get down past the cylinder seals and into the oil, but he did say there would need to be a big over spill. Im posting this in the hope that I find someone that has had theirs tweaked and has advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-03-2020, 14:27

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
Welcome Sam. I'm no expert here but 'tweaking' must bring side effects. And you got black smoke and some overheat etc. So maybe you can't get a quart out of a pint pot.
I think 85bhp is all you could expect from the little 1.9 diesel.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-03-2020, 14:48 Thread Starter

According to the research ive done, and its extensive as of now. According to the experts (not the owners, hence my post) these engines are set out to conform with certain and specific standards which govern the way they work and for example, they have to start and stop in -50 and +50 and need to confirm with EU emissions standards that are extremely severe and in part not necessary either. so if we tweak them forward, these engines not only work more efficiently, they give out more power and the only negatives are the start, and run in extreme conditions scenarios which we all know dont exist here. In fact this is all the modern chips and control box tuning people do and they get better MPG and more BHP with absolutely no issues at all.

Whilst there is a rake of info out there, I was hoping to come across someone who has had their van done or has a similar condition to mine, ergo a real world experience.

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-03-2020, 16:58

Location: Normandy. Just up the D903 from the roundabout with the D15
My Motorhome: Hobby 750 now sold.
Send a message via Skype™ to raynipper
OK Sam. Sorry as I was just musing.

Ray.

The FSA licensed a twice convicted fraudster to handle our life´s savings. Guess what? He robbed us of £750,000. http://raynipper.com
Brexit is madness orchestrated by the insane.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-03-2020, 17:19

My Motorhome: A Caravan of all things !!
Sam
The modern ECU controlled injection systems can be tweaked to alter the injection timing AND amount of fuel injected to varying extents at varying engine speeds/throttle opening/atmospheric pressure/induction air temperature/engine temperature along with a load of other parameters. Sadly with the older (usually rotary) fully mechanical injection pumps there are only a couple of basic things that can be altered. That being amount, and time, of the injection. The impact of doing either does tend to be minimal in comparison to what can be achieved by re-mapping an engines ECU. The tuning chips that are available merely “fool” the ECU into injecting a bit more fuel, so they are far inferior to a remap.

I used to own a 3 litre Ducato MH that the previous owner had remapped. It REALLY flew, in fact I needed to be very careful not to clog it at low speed in a high gear. If I did then I would get clutch slip due to vastly increased torque (Great fun at the lights showing boy racers up!)

So to sum up, your pretty much stuck with what you’ve got I am afraid.

Andy
raynipper likes this.

Its not the destination that matters.

It's who you share the journey with (even if like me, it’s in a caravan!)
I am very fortunate to have Mrs Plodd to share mine with
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-03-2020, 17:41

My Motorhome: I drive...autoroller
If it did not smoke before your mechanic as adjusted it wrong he as got the fuel to air ratio wrong you cannot put to much fuel in without increasing the air flow
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 22-03-2020, 23:01

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
In your second post you mention emissions, the reason the manufacturers set up your engine the way they did was to achieve the required emission levels, the work you have had done has put the emissions from your engine outside the parameters it originally had to achieve, that is the reason for the black smoke you mention.
In your original post, you appeared to be concerned that the modifications that cause the over rich mixture that are now causing the black smoke may harm the engine, that is possible but unlikely, however you may have a problem at MOT time.

John
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-03-2020, 00:26 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurajohn View Post
In your second post you mention emissions, the reason the manufacturers set up your engine the way they did was to achieve the required emission levels, the work you have had done has put the emissions from your engine outside the parameters it originally had to achieve, that is the reason for the black smoke you mention.
In your original post, you appeared to be concerned that the modifications that cause the over rich mixture that are now causing the black smoke may harm the engine, that is possible but unlikely, however you may have a problem at MOT time.

In respect of the emissions we were both not quite right. The reason is that the emissions, when the engine leaves the factory, are not set at max, the relevant practical escapes are well below what the mot requires. For example if the engine is running at say 8 and the mot threshold is 19, this latest tweak has taken the level up to 17 as per the diesel mechanics test before we left the garage.

It can be however rectified a bit, by the purchase of a simple KN air filter that allows more air in and that equalises the burn level but it wont be here till wednesday so I am hoping to keep the power and if i can get more air in, the increased fuel level will burn easier and ultimately cleaner. Lets hope it works.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-03-2020, 08:51

My Motorhome: swift sundance 620fb
you seem to have made your mind up as to the pros and cons of altering the settings from standard

the title of your post is black smoke issue

have it put back as it was and you wont have the issue any more

it is you guys that pump out smoke into the environment without a care for others
and this is why if a later model van puts out a hint of smoke at the mot it is a fail

i can forgive someone with a van that smokes a little as the engine is old but to deliberately altering something and ending up with it smoking is wrong

barry
eurajohn likes this.

Last edited by powerplus; 23-03-2020 at 08:55.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 23-03-2020, 09:13

My Motorhome: Frankia T640 FF2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampvt View Post
It can be however rectified a bit, by the purchase of a simple KN air filter that allows more air in and that equalises the burn level but it wont be here till wednesday so I am hoping to keep the power and if i can get more air in, the increased fuel level will burn easier and ultimately cleaner. Lets hope it works.
The engine in your van is what many would refer to as an old fashioned diesel, on that type of engine there is no restriction / modulation of the air into the combustion chambers, known as wide open throttle.
So unless your existing air filter is restrictive an aftermarket one will do little to help reduce the problem you now have.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Motorhome Forums, Motorhome Discussion, Motorhome Chat forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page